Speculation: Nylander contract talk (All Nylander talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I thought companies like Canadian Tire and Pizza Pizza were supposed to offer endorsement deals to players in Toronto to offset their lower annual salary

Nylander signs for 5 million per. Canadian Tire gives him 2 million per. Why is this taking so long?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I thought companies like Canadian Tire and Pizza Pizza were supposed to offer endorsement deals to players in Toronto to offset their lower annual salary

Nylander signs for 5 million per. Canadian Tire gives him 2 million per. Why is this taking so long?
Maybe Willie wants more..

If you’re Willie would you still workout or would you just lie in bed until you got deal? One slipped disk and it’s over. Dam! I would have signed long ago.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
This is just your speculation right? From what I've heard Nylander is looking for a long term deal and we actually have no idea what could be holding it up.

I honestly think it may be a NTC/NMC hold up. If I'm nylander I would be pushing hard for a NTC for the years it is eligible if I'm taking a discount or even a fair value contract.
I'm going to have to insist that Nylander not push hard for a NMC.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Like I said, Subtact JVR, Bozak, and Nylander and add Tavares. And you think you don't need Nylander to seriously contend? Be careful with the hype. Leafs have a great offensive team but subtracting a key player like Nylander does have an impact.

Overall team momentum and confidence is not something you should screw around with.
oakley-doakley neighbour

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
25 million? At worst Nylander guaranteed himself 40 if he never plays a game again.and it’s more than likely closer to 50 million If he signs. How somebody can holdout for something better is bizarre.

The number isn't the point, it's the relative amount he's willing to sacrifice so call it $40M instead of $44M, $10M instead of $11M, $100M instead of $110M, it's the same question: would you give up a small portion of your bankroll to have a real chance at a Cup?

I'd give everything I have BTW but of course, I'm not Nylander :)

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Subtract JVR, Bozak, Nylander and add Tavares. And you think you can still win without any problems? With the same defense as last year? Come on man. The Leafs need Nylander just as much as Nylander needs the Leafs.

I honestly think we are still a contender without him, yes.

I just like our chances a lot more with him lol.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

He just signed with Reebok so I can't see that happening.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Difference between Tavares and nylander situation is that Tavares banked $40 million prior to this deal with the leafs whereas nylander is at what $6-8 million from his elc plus bonuses?

You don’t want to be the guy who gets short changed. You want to be paid fairly for what you bring to the table. Don’t want to be taking 85% of what you can get only to see M and M get their full 100%

Who’s to say that the other guys will take less? Plus, there’s no guarantee of a championship. Their division is tough and that doesn’t appear to be changing any time soon with TB, BOS, and what BUF has added in young talent save for the goalie position. I don’t foresee the NHL going away from divisional playoffs mainly due to the western conference. When Seattle arrives, you’d have 7 PST teams 3 MST and 6 CST. Doubt any other central teams want to play the pacific for 2 straight rounds. Time zone issue more than the travel.

Sure, it's a bigger gamble for Nylander but not by much. He'll have a guaranteed contract (insured) at approaching $50M no matter what.

And yes, there's no guarantee Matthews/Marner will be willing to do the same but I'm pretty sure they almost certainly won't if Nylander holds out and the Leafs fold.

And no, there are no guarantees. But again, when you're 60 with no championship with $50M in the bank, how much of it would you trade to be able to go back in time for that one chance?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The number isn't the point, it's the relative amount he's willing to sacrifice so call it $40M instead of $44M, $10M instead of $11M, $100M instead of $110M, it's the same question: would you give up a small portion of your bankroll to have a real chance at a Cup?

I'd give everything I have BTW but of course, I'm not Nylander :)
I’d be worried I slip in the shower. Injure my back and have nothing. Lol

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sure, it's a bigger gamble for Nylander but not by much. He'll have a guaranteed contract (insured) at approaching $50M no matter what.

And yes, there's no guarantee Matthews/Marner will be willing to do the same but I'm pretty sure they almost certainly won't if Nylander holds out and the Leafs fold.

And no, there are no guarantees. But again, when you're 60 with no championship with $50M in the bank, how much of it would you trade to be able to go back in time for that one chance?
All fair, but he’s also the guy the leafs would be willing to move first to get D help. So, without being able to get a ntc now, he’s at a risk of getting moved while giving a discount. That’s why IMO you only give discounts once you are into your ufa years to at least get control of where you play. As an rfa for 4 more years nylander doesn’t get that benefit. So al the risk is on him.

Reactions: pawn

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Just out of curiosity - how many non Leaf fans actually think he will be a star?

If he keeps trending on the Forsberg/Scheifele path in terms of production at his age, I can wait. If we overpay him a little, I am okay with that.

Depth is important but much easier to find and develop than guys like Nylander who can take over games. Not many teams have Nylander type players (early 20s with his skill and production).

We need to be patient and let it play out.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada

You're not the OP ... so no I wasn't pointing that out to you. Did you post that? No you didn't.

So do you just like starting shit for no reason.... with another Leaf fan... not sure what your angle was with that one.

Anyway back to Nylander....

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
I haven't had a chance to watch many leafs games during the season last year but I did watch them in the playoffs. No way in hell Nylander is worth what he is asking for. My offer would be 6 mil a year max.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I haven't had a chance to watch many leafs games during the season last year but I did watch them in the playoffs. No way in hell Nylander is worth what he is asking for. My offer would be 6 mil a year max.
Thats not much of a sample size to base that opinion of off. 7 games matched up against the best line in the league.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Maybe leaf posters are sick of arrogant habs fans who like to tell us they know better then we do what is best for our team and who also think they as an armchair gm on his best day... that he knows more about the cap and doing business then Duby and the man who wrote the CBA himself, our Assistant GM. But yeah they need your input... lol

But continue on looking to aggravate posters for no good reason other then "you know best"
Take a deep breath.

You might then retrieve you spelling and grammatical skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad