Speculation: Nylander contract discussion

When do the Leafs announce he has signed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Does it really matter what Nylander wants? He a RFA. Unless he wants to either retire or play in Europe his next contract will be governed by the CBA. Nylander just might want a two year contract, hoping for future riches in his next contract, and a short term deal would get him closer to UFA.
My own thought is that Nylander wants to be a top centre on a team, Doesn't look like that will happen in Toronto. Even now, Nylander is probably the "fourth" forward on best on the Leafs. I think it wants to move on from the Leafs at some time. Again just my opinion.

Reactions: dsred

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
5 @ 10 or less and test FA would be my advice to him. He’ll know if they are contenders or pretenders.
The whole point is to get some FA years signed, if he's going to test the market like you've suggested, what is the upside of paying him that for the Leafs? Nothing really.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I don't know when Nylander signs, but I'm getting more and more comfortable with the idea of bridging him for 2-3 years around $4.5M. It would allow us to keep our current core intact through our 2019/20 cap crunch (with some wiggle room to play around with), and Marleau's $6.25M coming off the books afterwards, plus any continued increase in the cap, should be plenty to cover the extra money Willy earns during that time.

If a long-term deal right now is going to cost us $6.5-7M, and the concern is that a long-term deal in 2-3 years could cost us ~$8-8.5, I think we can actually live with that increase without it being all that much of a burden.

Obviously if you can make a long-term deal work both right now and through the cap crunch, then I think that's great. But - barring a $7M increase in the cap - something will need to be done, and people thinking Dubas will be keen to shed a Marleau (assuming he can still play) or Zaitsev going into a season where we should be considered Cup favourites may very well end up being disappointed.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The whole point is to get some FA years signed, if he's going to test the market like you've suggested, what is the upside of paying him that for the Leafs? Nothing really.

Nothing in it for him either, unless he’s worried about his health or something.
As it should, 8 years will cost the Leafs.

Reactions: DarkKnight

member 298589

I would try for 6.5M x 7 and not go above 7 in any circumstance. I like the bridge deal if he is asking for more. Beside managing Marleau coming off the books, I also feel like Nylander is the most likely of any of the young guys to have a bit if a "mental checkout" once signing a big contract. Keeping him hungry for a few more years under babcock may be a smart move.

Reactions: White Shadow

Laista

Apr 21, 2012
Gävle
I dont think Nylander will settle for anything less then Marner. His Father and Agent will see to that.
Michael Nylander made a fair point when he played in Calgary. - I am commodity, why should I pretend playing for the Team if not even the Owners do it?
You guys should prepare for at least 6M or he will leave.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Clearly Michael wants a lot more for his kid long term than Leafs are prepared to pay so you will a 2-4 year bridge deal. The real issue is Shanny was really quite pissed at young Nylanders play in playoffs. It will get resolved but may go close to camp.

Mar 14, 2015
Clearly Michael wants a lot more for his kid long term than Leafs are prepared to pay so you will a 2-4 year bridge deal. The real issue is Shanny was really quite pissed at young Nylanders play in playoffs. It will get resolved but may go close to camp.

Source?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I dont think Nylander will settle for anything less then Marner. His Father and Agent will see to that.
Michael Nylander made a fair point when he played in Calgary. - I am commodity, why should I pretend playing for the Team if not even the Owners do it?
You guys should prepare for at least 6M or he will leave.
Nylander will have to sign his deal before Marner this offseason. He won't be able to use Marner as a comparable at all

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
One of my grandsons played for Michael when he coached his son on Mississauga steelheads. This is what is making the rounds amoungst some of those kids from what they heard from alex. But it is not that they are miles apart so it will get resolved but very likely a bridge deal is what the kids are saying. The hockey community really is very small. i have no idea what the numbers are and i really couldn't care less. I have not talked to shanny this summer but i will when he comes back from NY for camp. I coached him for a few years. He and my son are still good friends. Come to Hot Stove before any home games and reach out to the 6 ft 5 old guy with the Matty 34 sweather on thats me. There is a few of us old farts who have dinner together. Gramps going out for ride with miss'to ribfest. Only my 3rd ride of the summer. Hope it does not rain.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
One of my grandsons played for Michael when he coached his son on Mississauga steelheads. This is what is making the rounds amoungst some of those kids from what they heard from alex. But it is not that they are miles apart so it will get resolved but very likely a bridge deal is what the kids are saying. The hockey community really is very small. i have no idea what the numbers are and i really couldn't care less. I have not talked to shanny this summer but i will when he comes back from NY for camp. I coached him for a few years. He and my son are still good friends. Come to Hot Stove before any home games and reach out to the 6 ft 5 old guy with the Matty 34 sweather on thats me. There is a few of us old farts who have dinner together. Gramps going out for ride with miss'to ribfest. Only my 3rd ride of the summer. Hope it does not rain.
Another grandson source lol

Is it the same 'grandson' that has the connection with JT you were mentioning a few weeks ago or is this a new one ;)?

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
2 of my 4 sons played junior and 1 went pro. 3 of my 9 grandsons played junior. 1 went to ncaa. but only 2 went on to play pro hockey. now i watch games full time. hockey is a tough game to make it god knows i know first hand what it was like to ride the buses in the minors. just got back from ribfest what a blast. time to call it a night.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Long term has a 6 in it, otherwise a bridge deal is my prediction. A bridge has a lot of logic for the team, as others have fleshed out. I wonder if the fact a bridge does have attraction from the team point of view affects Willie's "leverage" in negotiations.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
No offence to Gramps and others in the know, but in reality we don't really know what is being negotiated because there are 2 sides to the equation. What one source says is being considered is one perspective...and third hand at best. A bridge deal worked well with Kadri. Don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for Nylander as a compromise if he's asking for the moon. If it gives him motivation to become a complete player and prove he can be a true scorer in this league then all the power to him. I think Marner is almost a Franchise player so I would try to lock up Marner and Matthews for 8 years, you pretty much know what you're going to get and both are essential moving forward. Nylander has yet to solidify his place imho.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
i hope so too. Lets be fair here JT had $80M banked already when he left money on the table its quite alot easier to leave money and be generous when you open your bank statement and see $40m~ just sitting in there. The big 3 maybe have a couple of million each its pretty unfair to expect them to take discounts

If they win their next contracts will be bigger and if they win more than once they will be even more bigger. If they don’t, specially in Nylander’s case, he would be in the similar boat to JVR. At least he could score goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad