Speculation: Nylander contract discussion

When do the Leafs announce he has signed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Rielly was poised for a breakout year when he was signing that contract but he didn't accomplish as much as he did last season.

April 13, 2016 is when he signed his contract.

These were his seasons beforehand.

2013-2014Toronto Maple LeafsNHL7322527
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2014-2015Toronto Maple LeafsNHL8182129
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2015-2016Toronto Maple LeafsNHL8292736
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rielly wasn't a #1 D when we signed him and Nylander is already a first line winger, different situations.

Btw there's no way you get Nylander to 7% of the cap on a 6+ year deal.
You mean when he seen almost no pp time and was facing top line opponents with a rookie who struggled. Look what happened this year when getting pp minutes. Reilly’s contract was a gift the minute he signed it as was Kadr’s.

Reactions: MyBudJT

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Reilly’s a dman who signed before he was a 1d meanwhile nylander is a 1w Argie all you want about position (d clearly more important) rielly was coming off a year where he wasn’t even clearly our 2nd best d on a **** d core. Nylander just finished the year 3rd best forward on a top forward core
Wow Rielly signed after being played on our top pair all year. And easily our best D man. Nylander is our 2nd best RW and now our 5 best forward and he should be paid accordingly. As far as team goes Nylander is currently our 7 most important player!

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
You mean when he seen almost no pp time and was facing top line opponents with a rookie who struggled. Look what happened this year when getting pp minutes. Reilly’s contract was a gift the minute he signed it as was Kadr’s.
Are you thinking of Zaitsev?

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Rielly was thought to be sure top 4, possible top 2, which is all I said with the comparable. You could easily argue that Nylander is our fifth best forward, so "top line" really isn't the full story. We did pay Reilly finished product money, we didn't pay Kadri finished product money, why should we with Willie?

Just like to add, when we have these debates, you look like you're bashing the guy, which is unfortunate. We're talking about giving Willie a 6 x 8 deal here, hardly a giant slight or insulting like the defence of some here suggests. He's not getting franchise player type cash, we can't do it with our pecking order, and he doesn't deserve it yet, just like Morgan and Nazem before him. I don't give a rats ass what other teams have over paid, there is a new realization coming that you have to play hardball with your young RFA's. It's a business, and Nylander is going to do just fine.
I'm not bashing him at all? I've been a huge Rielly fan and defender for years on here (especially on his down year right after he signed his contract). I'm just bringing up his progression as to a reason why he got paid that contract. He wasn't putting up #1 numbers but people knew he was going to break out soon. I thought our arguments were fine but if you thought otherwise I'm sorry.

I think in general people agree that 6-7m over 6-8 years is doable and fair for both sides. You're on the lower end of the 6m? That's perfectly fine and have no issue with that.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Yes they were both gifts and we're super lucky to have them. I think it's foolish to hope everyone's contract becomes a gift now though.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Yes they were both gifts and we're super lucky to have them. I think it's foolish to hope everyone's contract becomes a gift now though.

I don't expect a gift deal for our 3 BUT..its crystal clear they need to take a bit less each for us to keep our now big 4. Now good thing is we have a legit shot a multiple cups, any one who doesn't see that is blind.

Also dubas said we can and will sign them. Nylander on record said he wants a long term deal, it shows you how bad he wants to stay here for the glory days.

I think Nylander gets 6 to 6.5

Marner gets 7 to 8, and if we can do it now we better because with JT he will be posting career numbers.

Matthew's gets between 10 and 11. All 3 get min 7yrs ...JT asked Dubas howdy he would keep the young core for his entire contract. Obviously he liked the answer. So it's a matter of time

Reactions: DarkKnight

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I don't expect a gift deal for our 3 BUT..its crystal clear they need to take a bit less each for us to keep our now big 4. Now good thing is we have a legit shot a multiple cups, any one who doesn't see that is blind.

Also dubas said we can and will sign them. Nylander on record said he wants a long term deal, it shows you how bad he wants to stay here for the glory days.

Marner gets 7 to 8, and if we can do it now we better because with JT he will be posting career numbers.

Matthew's gets between 10 and 11. All 3 get min 7yrs ...JT asked Dubas howdy he would keep the young core for his entire contract. Obviously he liked the answer. So it's a matter of time
Oh I'm not worried that Nylander won't get signed. I'm thinking they'll sign around those price ranges too. I'm all for Dubas trying to be more like the NBA and getting some star players for cheaper at a better chance for a championship but I'm not holding my breathe.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

I think term will be staggered to avoid the year over year disruptions.
Matthews is done after 9 (8 year deal plus this one)
Marner is done in 8 (7 year deal plus this one)
Tavares is done in 7.
Nylander fits in 6 or less
Rielly & Kadri is done in 4
Dermott is done in 2

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
For me it boils down this conundrum for Dubas: Nylander is asking for finished product cash, Leafs still have questions, there's your gap. In my view, anything with a 7 per in it, Leafs lose, not end of the world but risky. Low 6, with the term, get er done.

Leafs would happily give him whatever he wants, but they can't. They don't have the cap space to accommodate what Willy wants (and room for Auston and Mitch) in 2019/2020 due to Marleau's last year. They will have to trade Zaitsev (for savings, if they can), or trade Hyman's contract (may not be enough), or not re-sign Jake, or trade Reilly (if it comes down to it).

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
Leafs would happily give him whatever he wants, but they can't. They don't have the cap space to accommodate what Willy wants (and room for Auston and Mitch) in 2019/2020 due to Marleau's last year. They will have to trade Zaitsev (for savings, if they can), or trade Hyman's contract (may not be enough), or not re-sign Jake, or trade Reilly (if it comes down to it).

lmao. This is one of the worst posts in HFB history.BOTH Hyman and Reilly arent going anywhere...they can afford Nylander. Zaitsev will rebound you watch.

Reactions: puckbunnygirl

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
lmao. This is one of the worst posts in HFB history.BOTH Hyman and Reilly arent going anywhere...they can afford Nylander. Zaitsev will rebound you watch.

Its not that bad drama queen, its uninformed but ive seen much, much, much worse.

People are just nervous, we finally have nice things and the talking heads on t.v. twitter ect are speculating doom and gloom/ captance/ rifts lunacy.

It will get done or it wont either way we will be winning a cup soon

Reactions: ANDI P IS CUTE

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm not bashing him at all? I've been a huge Rielly fan and defender for years on here (especially on his down year right after he signed his contract). I'm just bringing up his progression as to a reason why he got paid that contract. He wasn't putting up #1 numbers but people knew he was going to break out soon. I thought our arguments were fine but if you thought otherwise I'm sorry.

I think in general people agree that 6-7m over 6-8 years is doable and fair for both sides. You're on the lower end of the 6m? That's perfectly fine and have no issue with that.
I meant bashing Nylander, sorry if I confused. 6.5 is my top number, hoping for 6.

Reactions: Liminality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->