Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Spooner just signed for 2 x 4m
Wilson just signed for 6 x 5.16m
Kessel signed for 5 x 5.4m 9 yrs ago which would be close to 8m today with inflation (if my math is correct) after one good season (60pts/70games)
there's plenty of examples people can use so i don't know why you're giggling like a moron for
Ok....I said bridge so lets see what you said...
"2 yrs x 4.75
3 yrs x 5.5
5 yrs x 6.25
6 yrs x 6.75"

That includes year 2 & 3.

Let me add Kutcherov: 4.7 x3
Do you have any grasp of this subject matter?
You call me a moron...which should get you banned on the thread but I'll just let the irony hang here

Reactions: diceman934

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I love comments like this. Comparing contracts signed years ago by looking at their dollar amount and not % of cap.

All fans like you are going to lose your mind when you just look at the absolute dollar amount Willy signs for. Going to be horrendous.
He has 1 year left on a 3 year bridge. Hello....inflation aint that high

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
You have an unrealistic view of just how much we can screw a guy before he digs in and we've got a serious problem, especially one from a rich family
What are the Nylanders going to do, hire a hit man and have Dubas knocked off?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I have been cheering for the 6.25 over 8 year mantra but nowhere have I ever said he needs to take a discount. We have leverage, let’s use it.

That's a lot of leverage, he's nuts if he signs that deal
That's similar money to Larkin with 3 extra contract years and better counting stats

For the 20 games he played in 2015-16?

Ehlers is already signed and the cap has increased since he signed, deals tend to be a % of the cap so basic inflation says Nylander is getting more on his AAV than Ehlers

So ehlers is 6MM @ 7 years but your inflation puts the dollars up and then you drop the years down? Quite the inflation you are calculating.

That is what happens when the cap increases, basic inflation

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
That's similar money to Larkin with 3 extra contract years and better counting stats

Ehlers is already signed and the cap has increased since he signed, deals tend to be a % of the cap so basic inflation says Nylander is getting more on his AAV than Ehlers

What did he sign for 7 years?

So I say 6.5m * 7 > 6m * 7

I’m not sure that you thought this through.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Though under the Leafs sysem/line usage Nylander is clearly used more in a setup role for Matthews than as a shooter.

I’m not sure the Leafs would have much credibility if they then tried to immediately turn around and try to use goal totals as a way of lowering the caphit.

I'm not going to pretend to know the Leafs' management system for determining what contracts they'll offer... but I'm sure its very methodoligical and well thought out. It wouldn't surprise me if goal/point production highly factored into it.

There is no denying that goals are more valuable than assists, however how wide the difference can be up to debate I suppose.

If you're playing the 'Nylander was in the set-up role' card, that doesn't fly... Ehler's most common linemate the past two seasons has been Patrick Laine... yet Ehlers still finds ways to pot goals.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Force his way out and we get less for him than market value because everybody knows we have to trade him

That would be career suicide for Nylander...

He knows he is in a good spot in Toronto, and there is no telling that if he were to change clubs, that he'd perform as well.

There would be a HUGE risk of 'career suicide' if Nylander pulls this card, especially if he has 50 million on the table like recent reports suggest.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If we can’t get him signed to a reasonable deal...

Brandon Saad & Connor Murphy (+?)
For
William Nylander & Connor Carrick

Saad - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman -- Tavares -- Marner
Marleau —- Kadri —- Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Leivo

Rielly —— Murphy
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

OR

William Nylander, 2nd/Prospect
For
Matthew Tkachuk

Nylander is better, but Tkachuk brings more to the table

Tkachuk - Matthews - Kapanen
Marleau — Tavares — Marner
Hyman —- Kadri —— Brown
Johnsson - Lindholm - Leivo

Same D

OR

William Nylander
for
Brett Pesce & 2nd/3rd

Marleau - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman — Tavares — Marner
Johnsson —- Kadri —— Brown
Ennis - Lindholm - Leivo

Rielly - Pesce
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

If they can get Tkachuk for Willie they’d be foolish not to do it

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I raised my kids not to be “ I will take my ball and go home “ type individuals. No trophies for finishing second and finish what they start.

No need to tell me how you raised your kids.... you posts speak for them selves.

There is a long list of teams that would be willing to pay him what he is worth and the Leafs are one of them. Why you think the leafs are not willing to pay him what he is worth is beyond me but I can assure you they will not over pay him to have him sign.

You posted stupidity that Nylander was going to give the Leafs 3,days or he will demand a trade. He can demand anything that he wants but he has no control in this issue at all. He can do what he is doing now...sit out!
I raised my child to work hard , take responsibility , not make excuses and to stand up for what he believes in as well as not to let people take advantage of him . He's a CPA in his mid 20's and he still wants to discuss important decisions with me and my wife , not because we're some know it all's but because sometimes we can bring a different perspective .

from the shots you've taken at Willie's dad and AM's mom it seems you have a problem with very young players who have strong ties and trust in there families for some reason

and the deadline was in response to the first post in this thread who also gave a deadline

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018

The inflation was put in the increased $$. You can't slash a year off and add the inflation to the $$. You could stay flat at 6 and take a year off which would go to Nylander's favor from an inflation perspective or increase the $$ and leave the term flat which would be a fair argument.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
jeez you guy have awful choices for football teams. cowboys all the way dude
first game i ever remember watching was the skins/dolphins super bowl 40 odd years ago with George Allen and the over the hill gang , i was just a wee kid and became a fan and still am

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I raised my child to work hard , take responsibility , not make excuses and to stand up for what he believes in as well as not to let people take advantage of him . He's a CPA in his mid 20's and he still wants to discuss important decisions with me and my wife , not because we're some know it all's but because sometimes we can bring a different perspective .

from the shots you've taken at Willie's dad and AM's mom it seems you have a problem with very young players who have strong ties and trust in there families for some reason

and the deadline was in response to the first post in this thread who also gave a deadline
It is time for bed. You personally attack me and my children. Whrn your opinion is challenged you resort to personal attacks as always.
Good night Irene.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He can ask for a trade all we wants. They don't have to give him one. And I suspect if he holds out "his agent going on the air and telling his side of the story" won't work out very well for him.

You and kiwi still don't get that this is not a negotiation between equal parties. Nylander has zero leverage, and If you think your above suggestions would work I think you're acting a bit naïve.
never said he had to trade him and how much worse could it end up than being low balled and having to hold out ?

i know he has very little leverage but i also know Dubas is a rookie GM who has a number of tough deals ahead of him so while he has all the leverage he also better know Mathews and Marner are also watching and creating bad blood with your young studs may not be in his best interest

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
What are you on about?
Stop with the * and >, what are your exact AAV numbers with years attached?

For 7 years:
Ehlers signed for 6 million AAV

I said in the OP 6.5 million AAV for Nylander.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
I don’t think it’s that far off what his contract will come in at. I know it’s not fair market value - that’s not the debate. I think we can just be ruthless with negotiations.

If I am Dubas I stick with the notion that everyone must sacrafice to be on a winning team - even if that means leaving 500K...750K on the table. I’d tell him: winning here will earn him more in Volvo like sponsorships than he can make on a Peter C run team.

The reality is we can’t pay him fair market value and be a good team down the line. (Which is why I’d hardball him, then trade if necessary)

For the record Willy is my second favourite player on the Leafs.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Mikey, you ain’t playing NHL 19. Settle down young chap
Good thing Eb, if it was nhl 19 and his dad pulled this shit, id ship him to somewhere gross like Arizona, Columbus or Carolina. Gotta be tough on these guys Eb. You know damn well nonis would have given him 7.5 x 8 by now. Times are changing Eb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad