Speculation: Nylander Contract Discussion IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I feel like people here are so disillusioned with contracts... would you want to miss out on millions of dollars 'to help the team' when there is no guarantee at all that your teammates will so the same thing?

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
I should add that you seem to fall under the "fan that doesn't like him" because you keep calling him me willi as if suggesting he's greedy or selfish.

There's a well known political figure who does this regularly in an attempt to discredit other world leaders but I can't put my finger on his name.

Denny?
Dotard?
Dummy?

Something like that anyway.

Reactions: GrizzLeaf

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I feel like people here are so disillusioned with contracts... would you want to miss out on millions of dollars 'to help the team' when there is no guarantee at all that your teammates will so the same thing?
or the team might turn around and trade you a couple of years down the road

Reactions: Kiwi and Ziggdiezan

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It's really ****in' sad.

Reminds me of all those Islanders fans burning their Tavares **** this summer - Imagine being so insecure, and so attached to this stuff (or the reactions of others, I'm not entirely sure in this case) that you're willing to throw out your own dignity just to bad-mouth a 22-year-old athlete online.

well ahhh, these are pro athletes in the public spotlight

you know,,pro teams that want and need fan bases to survive.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Fact team is talking about who Matthews plays with in camp, slight tell this could take awhile...if something was imminent or quite close why bother stating these things.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Please explain the difference between life as a 22 year old making $6,000,000 a year vs life as a 22 year old making $8,000,000 a year?

Option A, you are filthy rich but with an increased chance at being a champion.

Option B, you are filthy rich but with a reduced chance at being a champion.

Always a good way to figure out which players value money over the most important trophy in the sport, which these days unfortunately seems to be the majority of players. Greed, very sad.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Please explain the difference between life as a 22 year old making $6,000,000 a year vs life as a 22 year old making $8,000,000 a year?

Always a good way to figure out which players value money over the most important trophy in the sport, which these days unfortunately seems to be the majority of players. Greed, very sad.
yea maybe they could also explain the difference between life as a 28 yr old making 9,ooo,ooom a year vs life as a 28 year old making 11,ooo,ooom a year

Option A - you're filthy rich but with an increased chance at being a champion

Option B - you're filthy rich but with a reduced chance at being a champion

and you're right the decision most players choose is to be greedy and go with option B , f***ing pathetic if you ask me

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

You are likely to grow up marry someone and have kids. These are expensive things especially considering the lifestyle they will be accustomed to.

Using your example the difference for an 8 year contract is 16 million dollars which isn't chump change for most people.... lol

This isn't about greed it's about making sure in like 4 years time your not getting massively underpaid.

Edit: remember these contracts need to support the players themselves and the family for the entire life after their short career. Basically after 35 your not getting paid anymore.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
yea maybe they could also explain the difference between a 28 yr old making 9,ooo,ooom a year vs life as a 28 year old making 11,ooo,ooom a year

Option A - you're filthy rich but with an increased chance at being a champion

Option B - you're filthy rich but with a reduced chance at being a champion

and you're right the decision most players choose is to be greedy and choose option B , ****ing pathetic if you ask me

You're right most do choose option B, personally I feel in my mind I'd be different and choose option A. Especially as a Toronto boy who grew up here and grew up a Leafs fan. I'd gladly make $9 mill per over $11 mill per if it meant a higher chance of bringing the Leafs to glory.

But then again when you have a lot of money to begin with you get a feeling of wanting more and more. Most people are like this, professional athlete or not.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Fact team is talking about who Matthews plays with in camp, slight tell this could take awhile...if something was imminent or quite close why bother stating these things.
Well their on ice sessions start tomorrow right? They've got to put someone there and it's someone who might not even make the team. Seems easily replaceable once Nylander is back on the team.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
You are likely to grow up marry someone and have kids. These are expensive things especially considering the lifestyle they will be accustomed to.

Using your example the difference for an 8 year contract is 16 million dollars which isn't chump change for most people.... lol

This isn't about greed it's about making sure in like 4 years time your not getting massively underpaid.

Edit: remember these contracts need to support the players themselves and the family for the entire life after their short career. Basically after 35 your not getting paid anymore.

I don't buy that wife and kids argument, there are surgeons in Toronto who make $500,000-600,000 range with families and numerous luxury cars in their 5 car garage mansions. They go on exotic vacations and own yachts...all on what is less than an entry level NHL contract.

I think you are over estimating what it costs to live a life of luxury in Toronto. It certainly does not cost 8+ million per year. NHL players, particularly stars still have ways of earning very good money when they retire, sponsorships and public speaking along with getting into jobs within the business side of things in the NHL are possibilities, but as you will see below even that isn't necessary.

Your typical NHL player will earn more in his average 15 year career than most surgeons in this city will in their 40 year careers. Just look, just 5 mill per year x 15 years is already 75 million dollars.

Your average surgeon/family doctor who lives in a mansion already earns something around 500k x 40 years is 20 million dollars.

So again, I'm really not buying that argument.

Reactions: dsred

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
You're right most do choose option B, personally I feel in my mind I'd be different and choose option A. Especially as a Toronto boy who grew up here and grew up a Leafs fan. I'd gladly make $9 mill per over $11 mill per if it meant a higher chance of bringing the Leafs to glory.

But then again when you have a lot of money to begin with you get a feeling of wanting more and more. Most people are like this, professional athlete or not.
If these players are smart (in regards to spending) they'll end up with tens of millions of dollars by the time their career is over - regardless of how much they nickle and dime management..
Forgive me if I don't worry too strongly over their financial situations - it kind of makes me sick in a way. I somehow think they'll survive.
(It's all f***ing stupid but its the world we live in)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Someone just told me Nylander 3 year bridge??

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't buy that wife and kids argument, there are surgeons in Toronto who make $500,000-600,000 range with families and numerous luxury cars in their 5 car garage mansions. They go on exotic vacations and own yachts...all on what is less than an entry level NHL contract.

I think you are over estimating what it costs to live a life of luxury in Toronto. It certainly does not cost 8+ million per year. NHL players, particularly stars still have ways of earning very good money when they retire, sponsorships and public speaking along with getting into jobs within the business side of things in the NHL are possibilities, but as you will see below even that isn't necessary.

Your typical NHL player will earn more in his average 15 year career than most surgeons in this city will in their 40 year careers. Just look, just 5 mill per year x 15 years is already 75 million dollars.

Your average surgeon/family doctor who lives in a mansion already earns something around 500k x 40 years is 20 million dollars.

So again, I'm really not buying that argument.
Hey, stop making sense. These guys obviously need EVERY SINGLE DOLLAR. HOW DO YOU EXPECT WILLY TO SURVIVE MAKING ONLY 6 MILLION A YEAR? WHAT ARE YOU, A COMMUNIST? :laugh: ;)

Reactions: dsred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad