Nylander Chronicles Part XXVI: Who caves first? Nylander, Dubas, or Bert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
They are as much holding out as the teams wanting to sign them are locking them out.

Wonder what the narrative would be if the media talked about how Nylander was locked out by the Leafs insted of saying he is holding out.
What differene does it make?

This is a contract negotiation. Without a contract, Willy ineligible to play. It should be referred to as that.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
To Toronto: Faulk + Pesce + Fox/or other talented prospect

To Carolina: Nylander + Gardiner + conditional (dependant on Gardiner re-signing)

Leafs:

Rielly Pesce
Hainsey Faulk
Dermott Zaitsev
Oz

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Do you really think you are getting a 24yo who just had a better season(23-41-64pt), while playing on a crappy team and on top of that adding a 26yo 1D (debatable, but regardless)??

Some of you guys have insanely high hopes on a return.

Seems unbelievable to me as well.

My Logic 101

As recently reported Carolina scouts were out in force watching a recent Leafs game, since Willy isn't playing that means Canes seem to be scouting player(s) on the Leafs roster that might be added with Nylander in trade.

Therefore in any hypothetical Canes / Leafs trade scenario involving Nylander trade the Canes are figuring out WHO along with Nylander is coming their way.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The term generational should be mean the best of a generation, no?

I mean, that's what the word implies. So add Crosby, probably McDavid...

The best post lockout seasons belong to Jagr and Thornton. Crosby has two scoring titles but at age 30 was outscored by two players on his own team. He has been best of his era but not a whole lot better than Malkin and has never really had a season where he was head and shoulders beyond the next best player unlike Mario or Wayne. He may have been a generational talent up until his first concussion, and may even have had a chance to get back there but for his second concussion. The injuries suffered coming up in the head shot era changed the way he was able to play and that has dulled his star quite a bit.. Generational with a big asterisk for me I guess. He was something incredible at age 19 though. McDavid has a generation skill set for sure. The burst of speed with the puck handling is freakish but right now, he has not put any distance between himself and the rest of the league. I know he is better than MacKinnon but Nathan might have caught him in scoring if he played all 82 games. Generational to me is a once in a generation talent, with maybe some overlap. Lindros and Crosby without injuries and perhaps McDavid to come.

If you adjust for scoring there is an argument that Ovy is a generational goal scorer with his best season fractionally behind Mario's, but above Gretzky's.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
There will be no offer sheet unless Carolina comes to term with Nylander and the leafs refuse a trade. In that case they'd probably take the 4 first round picks.

More likely is a Pesce + Teravainen combo for Nylander.

If I'm not mistaken, as the bottom of the article states Nylander is looking for 7M+ x 7 yrs, I think the compensation could be 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd, depending on how much above 7 they're aiming for (would have to be under 7.3 M per)?

If true, I guess Nylander's camp is also coming down offer wise.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
The point is the Leafs are in the driver's seat in any trade talks. If Nylander and Carolina were to agree on terms, CBA compensation would be the starting point for any trade talks -- or the Leafs would (or should) walk.

One way or the other, Nylander's path back to the NHL goes through Toronto. Somebody has to do something that makes Brendan Shanahan happy, or it's just not happening.

Shanny doesn't say much, and I doubt that he would give too much away on the trade or free-agent bargaining fronts either.
If, and that's a huge IF, there is a contract agreement between Carolina and Nylander that should pretty much demolish this SM notion of Offer Sheets.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
You know, its kind of a win win win situation here if u think about it. Even if he sits all year, he'd at least come crawling back like a bitch next year. IMO that will cause irreversible damage by the fans though.

Reactions: leospaceman3434

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Do you really think you are getting a 24yo who just had a better season(23-41-64pt), while playing on a crappy team and on top of that adding a 26yo 1D (debatable, but regardless)??

Some of you guys have insanely high hopes on a return.

Teravainen is 2 years closer to UFA and his career PPG is nowhere near Nylander ...so yes it's fair value. Faulk is a right shot offensive D who already peaked. Probably not a true #1.

The leafs would probably add a Sean Durzi or Liljegren to the deal.

I could see Faulk/Pesce + Teravainen + Gauthier for Nylander + Brown + Durzi

Keeping in mind that Nylander is the MVP in the deal.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
If I'm not mistaken, as the bottom of the article states Nylander is looking for 7M+ x 7 yrs, I think the compensation could be 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd, depending on how much above 7 they're aiming for (would have to be under 7.3 M per)?

For 7 years the magic number to hit 4x 1st is 7.249

Reactions: Buds17

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

That's not worth it, Leafs would match

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
To Toronto: Faulk + Pesce + Fox/or other talented prospect

To Carolina: Nylander + Gardiner + conditional (dependant on Gardiner re-signing)

This seems like the most logical trade proposal I've seen particularly the 4 principles Willy and Gards for Faulk and Pesce involved.

Personally I'd be making a play for Jaccob Slavin, and be deciding who along with Nylander that would take.

PS .. I think it would be smart for Leafs to deal pending UFA Gardiner because the will not be able to afford to resign him so your suggestion of getting a DMan back under contract makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Antropovsky

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The org going back to acquiring draft pick mode?

Tons of pressure on Dubas. Tons.
"There will be pain." What the hell was that all about, if not to emphasize that theirs is a long-term strategy for building a Leafs team that contends year-after-year.

Lou is gone, and very soon so will be the 35+ contracts.

This is a new generation.

For Nylander rights, I hope it's not necessarily draft picks, but draft picks if necessary. I'm in this for the long haul, and I hope and expect the current Leafs' management are as well.

I'm almost certain that Shanahan is a very patient man.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Anything less than a similarly aged RHD with top pair potential and I will be extremely disappointed.

Nylander is one of the best young forwards in the game and I would say better than Ryan Johansen (who got Jones).

Reactions: daveleaf

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

If 7 x $7M gets it done, Willy would be a Leaf right now.
Unless Duby thinks he still may be able to do better. Or the right day to pull the trigger on that number and take advantage of that odd cap anomolly hasn't arrived yet.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Can this really just be Dubas telling Willie to sit till Dec 1 in order for Leafs to get cap relief?
Or is he being shop around?
Or is Dubas is actually shopping Brown around as to me Brown will be the 1st cap casualty for the Leafs

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

It would not surprise me if the Leafs would go to 7x7 all on their own, with or without an offer sheet. In that case, it wouldn't matter: Nylander could sign for that with the Leafs, or sign for that with Carolina and give the Leafs the option to match.

The question is, how much higher would Carolina go, and to what number would Nylander descend? If his contract demands were much higher than 7x7, someone is looking at serious compensation to the Leafs.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
If Pesce is the best offer, we need to sit Nylander until the off-season.

This is exactly what I would do.

People are getting all worked up......except the Leafs, so Dubas might be the man for the job after all. Willy's camp is, in my opinion, crapping their pant because they can be literally loosing some 6.5mill this year. That money will never, ever, be recovered.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The org going back to acquiring draft pick mode?

Tons of pressure on Dubas. Tons.

If Carolina wants to acquire him more than the Leafs want to move him, offer sheet is potentially a way for that. As the season progresses, this year's draft choice becomes more known (good or bad for the Leafs, good or bad for the Canes). Depends on what kind of offer sheet it would be (the future picks).

This situation reminds me a bit of the VGK expansion draft. If a team wanted VGK to take/not take a player, they couldn't leave that to chance, so they had to touch base and strike a deal. Offer sheet may or may not get the player in the Nylander situation. Want to be sure of landing him? Call Dubas.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Can this really just be Dubas telling Willie to sit till Dec 1 in order for Leafs to get cap relief?
Or is he being shop around?
Or is Dubas is actually shopping Brown around as to me Brown will be the 1st cap casualty for the Leafs
Only if he's willing to up his offer on December 1, since Nylander loses real dollars from his eventual contract each day that passes (though this could be mitigated somewhat with a solid signing bonus in year 1). If all Dubas cares about is the cap hit (which wouldn't surprise me at all) I could see him being much more willing to give Willy $7M on December 1 than he would've been on October 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad