Nylander Chronicles Part XXVI: Who caves first? Nylander, Dubas, or Bert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If a team like outpost Carolina, that never spend anywhere near the cap, wants to overpay for Willie great. Just remember, teams with 20 mil left under the cap generally aren't serious teams to succeed. Once again cash or cup?

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Nylander at a reasonable contract is worth more than Pesce at a reasonable contract. I agree.

But what about a Nylander at an uncompromising 8x8 contract? That inflated contract would destroy his trade value, and may make a player like Pesce the best Dubas can do.

So I was just asking. If Nylander is uncompromising at 8x8, and the best we can get is Pesce, would you do it? Or would you give Nylander 8x8? Or would you let him sit the season.

I see, thanks for clarifying.

Yes, I do think Nylander is still far more valuable at 8x8 than Pesce at his contract because Nylander is (and will become even moreso) a far better player.

It's obviously not an ideal cap hit for the next 1.5 years (until Marleau comes off) but Nylander would likely outperform that cost for most of those 8 years.

Furthermore there's tremendous value in needing only one roster spot (i.e. Nylander) to provide elite production vs having to combine 2-3 roster spots (i.e. Pesce + a forward) to generate equivalent numbers. As such, a hypothetical $8M of our cap space going towards one elite player is still much more valuable than trying to pay $8M to multiple spare parts in the hopes they can combine to have the same effect as the single elite player.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Carolina has zero motivation to trade Aho. They’re trying to add offensive pieces, not get rid of them.

And if The Leafs aren’t keen on paying Nylander above the low 6s, I can’t see
Them being interested in signing Aho who looks poised for a huge year

I struggle to see what's in it for Carolina, it's like us and the D

We need to add to what we've already got, not trade like for like

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Carolina has zero motivation to trade Aho. They’re trying to add offensive pieces, not get rid of them.

And if The Leafs aren’t keen on paying Nylander above the low 6s, I can’t see
Them being interested in signing Aho who looks poised for a huge year

Doesn't really matter what Carolina wants to do. The Leafs are under no pressure or obligation to move Nylander to them unless it's for a home run deal. Sorry, f*** off Hurricanes. Plus it's debatable whether they can afford to overpay Nylander and then also pay Aho accordingly. They'd have the Marner/Nylander dilemma essentially and without the cash flow to make it happen.

Reactions: weems

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't see now Willy can win a salary argument right now. Leafs have comparables on their side, Leafs have almost five full years on NHL control over him. Until any team wants to pay overpay for Nylander, he isn't getting an offer sheet and no team is going to trade for him for fair playing value, if they have to pay Nylander a too high a salary.
So, I don't see the Leafs "caving", it's more just good cap management. I respect Willy's decision of not signing a contract he doesn't want, but geez, I can't understand his strategy. The Leafs just might let the December 1 pass...with Nylander unsigned if gets that far.

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
If Dubas isnt quietly testing the trade waters by now, I view him as incompetent. Dubas isn't incompetent.
That's probably true, and Dubas is also quite aware that anything he says to inquiring teams will get back to Nylanders agent. So, if Dubas is smart he will let other teams make their pitch and at the same time let them know that he's not interested in a trade.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Doesn't really matter what Carolina wants to do. The Leafs are under no pressure or obligation to move Nylander to them unless it's for a home run deal. Sorry, **** off Hurricanes. Plus it's debatable whether they can afford to overpay Nylander and then also pay Aho accordingly. They'd have the Marner/Nylander dilemma essentially and without the cash flow to make it happen.

I don’t disagree.

I was just getting at the point that an aho for Nylander trade seems an unrealistic possibility for either side

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
because that's what Dubas probably wants - take it or leave it Carolina

Also read David pagnotta reported today LA has offered Tanner Pearson and Jake Muzzin. Their dollar figures BUT dollar figures dont make sense 4.05m and 3.75. That's almost 8 lol

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Also pecse trade makes no sense unless we are giving up a cap dump because pesce 1v1 isnt worth it. He make a bit over 4million but no way it's just pesce..maybe Teuorveinen? But hes due for a big raise that if you add it with Brett probably almost 8million.

I dunno I really think we will trade others first BUT of course Nylander has to sign first

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
because that's what Dubas probably wants - take it or leave it Carolina

Unfortunately Dubas has to work in a world where reality exists, and reality says Carolina isn't moving Aho

I'd also shake my head if we trade Nylander and don't actually get the defensive upgrade we need

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Unfortunately Dubas has to work in a world where reality exists, and reality says Carolina isn't moving Aho

I'd also shake my head if we trade Nylander and don't actually get the defensive upgrade we need
You take BPA.

Dubas should be looking for the best player with a long term future here, not best dman.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You take BPA.

Dubas should be looking for the best player with a long term future here, not best dman.

So we move our best trade chip and still have Hainsey and Zaitsev in the top 4? This isn't the draft, if Nylander's moving the return either needs to fill a need or we shouldn't trade him

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
So we move our best trade chip and still have Hainsey and Zaitsev in the top 4? This isn't the draft, if Nylander's moving the return either needs to fill a need or we shouldn't trade him
The draft isnt the only place where you take BPA.

If someone offers a great forward thats going to be here long term and no one offers a dman that brings similar or more value as the forward, you take the forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad