Proposal: Nylander and Risto

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
so he sucks because you, a nobody, has watched him live and decided you don't like him. Meanwhile Sheldon Keefe, a somebody, watches him every time he touches the ice and decided he was capable of playing on the top pairing while healthy.

Why would I believe your very in depth analysis like "he skates to bad positions" and has a lower IQ than your son?
So he a good player because the organization that took him in the first round was willing to give him a shot on the first pair in the AHL? Hes not a great defender by any means and he doesn't score at a high level Babcock himself said the kid has tools but he neene to learn how to be a hockey player if that's not him saying the decision making isn't there than I'm confused what Mike was saying

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
haha so funny but besides being a top prospect a year out from being drafted what has he done to make you think he's a good player and if you are somehow trying to imply that hockey IQ isn't an issue for him your just plain wrong
Whoa, whoa, whoa
Are you seriously criticizing another player's IQ and positioning IN A FREAKING RISTO thread?
Let's focus on what matters - Risto has no idea how to play defense and is routinely so far out of position that it defies logic.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Whoa, whoa, whoa
Are you seriously criticizing another player's IQ and positioning IN A FREAKING RISTO thread?
Let's focus on what matters - Risto has no idea how to play defense and is routinely so far out of position that it defies logic.
I agree with everything you said about risto and I think Liljgren has a lot of the same traits it makes me laugh when I see leaf fans say risto sucks (which he does) but than defend a guy who can't stay healthy hasn't really produced offensively and isn't a good defender

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I agree with everything you said about risto and I think Liljgren has a lot of the same traits it makes me laugh when I see leaf fans say risto sucks (which he does) but than defend a guy who can't stay healthy hasn't really produced offensively and isn't a good defender
Agreed.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Cause it's basically confirmed at this point that Risto is a bad defender but Lily hasn't played 1 game of NHL yet so we're yet to see his effectiveness. Why can't we be hopeful or believe that Lily will be much better than Risto

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Your points on Liljegren are valid. That being said, we don't need two of the same type of player, and we already have Liljegren, and he doesn't cost us Nylander to obtain... Lily is also young, and has time to possibly learn, and become better. At this point, Risto, is likely Risto, and unlikely to become much better. The main point, is that in a trade, we need someone who defends well, to offset those PMD that we already have (including Lily), so a trade for a Risto type player doesn't make sense.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Cause it's basically confirmed at this point that Risto is a bad defender but Lily hasn't played 1 game of NHL yet so we're yet to see his effectiveness. Why can't we be hopeful or believe that Lily will be much better than Risto
You can be hopeful of whatever you would like but the guy that tried to tell me Liljgren is great cause he played a few games on the top pair in the AHL... And the fact that he hasn't played a game considering the leafs Blueline depth specifically RHD I think it's fair to say he hasn't excelled since his draft Day

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Your points on Liljegren are valid. That being said, we don't need two of the same type of player, and we already have Liljegren, and he doesn't cost us Nylander to obtain... Lily is also young, and has time to possibly learn, and become better. At this point, Risto, is likely Risto, and unlikely to become much better. The main point, is that in a trade, we need someone who defends well, to offset those PMD that we already have (including Lily), so a trade for a Risto type player doesn't make sense.
Again I think risto sucks and I wouldn't trade for him period much less for a player like Nylander (who is actually a very good player) I was just saying if Jake leaves this summer I would want a puck moving right hand d (not risto he sucks) and a leaf fan tried to say that having Liljgren means you don't have to worry about that and maybe I'm wrong but his offensive production to this point is not good and to say he's gonna play in the top 4 and be a good puck mover is a massive exaggeration of where Liljgren currently is in his development

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
There's probably 5 players or so that I'd trade Nylander 1 for 1 for in the Atlantic and Risto is not on that list.
Kucherov
Point
Hedman
Pastrnak
Barkov
Eichel
Dahlin

And that's ignoring guys like:

Domi, Larkin, Stamkos, Chabot, McAvoy, Bergeron, Marchand... And a ton more.

So in other words... Give me a break. 5 players.... Come on. If you said there's 25 or so... Maybe.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Again I think risto sucks and I wouldn't trade for him period much less for a player like Nylander (who is actually a very good player) I was just saying if Jake leaves this summer I would want a puck moving right hand d (not risto he sucks) and a leaf fan tried to say that having Liljgren means you don't have to worry about that and maybe I'm wrong but his offensive production to this point is not good and to say he's gonna play in the top 4 and be a good puck mover is a massive exaggeration of where Liljgren currently is in his development

I think we get caught up too much into trying to put players in boxes, that attempt to describe who they are. Puck Moving Right Hand D... usually means strong offensively. Noting, Pesce had a higher zone exist success rate than anyone on the Leafs, last I had looked... suggesting that he is a very good puck moving RHD... though without the offense that we typically attribute to that definition.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
I think we get caught up too much into trying to put players in boxes, that attempt to describe who they are. Puck Moving Right Hand D... usually means strong offensively. Noting, Pesce had a higher zone exist success rate than anyone on the Leafs, last I had looked... suggesting that he is a very good puck moving RHD... though without the offense that we typically attribute to that definition.
Ok but Brett pesce is a very good defender and its his IQ that is prolly his best trait the exact opposite is true of Liljgren

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
You can be hopeful of whatever you would like but the guy that tried to tell me Liljgren is great cause he played a few games on the top pair in the AHL... And the fact that he hasn't played a game considering the leafs Blueline depth specifically RHD I think it's fair to say he hasn't excelled since his draft Day

I don't think you have watched one Marlie game. Liljegren I believe played every playoff game last season in the Marlies AHL championship run. He was of junior age last year. He may not be NHL ready to be NHL competent next year but you could argue most of the Sabres Dmen aren't either.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
I don't think you have watched one Marlie game. Liljegren I believe played every playoff game last season in the Marlies AHL championship run. He was of junior age last year. He may not be NHL ready to be NHL competent next year but you could argue most of the Sabres Dmen aren't either.
Man I'm not a Sabres fan and I have seen Liljgren play but your right about his age and at this point its the best thing he's got going for him but he's been hurt in 3 straight years and I've yet to see a leaf fan defend his actual play so far (prolly cause you guys don't bother making your way to the coca-cola coliseum) and the junior age player in the AHL argument is great but by next season there will be 4 or 5 dman from his draft class playing NHL and he won't be one of them and it's don't due to the leafs RHD being too deep in the NHL, also Julius Honka came over and played AHL at the same age and has out produced him in every season (by alot) and Julius has really struggled to make the jump to the NHL

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
No thanks. Nylander had a brutal start to his season after the hold-out but has picked it up since and looks great now (1 goal 9 assists in his last 10 games). I personally don't want to trade him at low value for a guy who would arguably make our defense even worse then it is now.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Kucherov
Point
Hedman
Pastrnak
Barkov
Eichel
Dahlin

And that's ignoring guys like:

Domi, Larkin, Stamkos, Chabot, McAvoy, Bergeron, Marchand... And a ton more.

So in other words... Give me a break. 5 players.... Come on. If you said there's 25 or so... Maybe.

Domi? Lmaooooooo.

Yeah list ends after that 7.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Domi? Lmaooooooo.

Yeah list ends after that 7.
Domi is a much better player. And you seriously think Nylander is worth more than someone like Marchand or Stamkos? Yikes. Again, you could maybe argue top 25 in the division, assuming we exclude some Leafs.

Reactions: DavePoulin4PM

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Domi is a much better player. And you seriously think Nylander is worth more than someone like Marchand or Stamkos? Yikes. Again, you could maybe argue top 25 in the division, assuming we exclude some Leafs.

Domi is not and I repeat "not" close to William Nylander. One rough season where he missed a couple months and then came back to play almost exclusively a slumping Naz, an ancient Marleau, and a garbage Brown does not mean Domi and his career year shooting almost double his career sh% and one of the highest oiSH% in the league is better than him.

I also would definitely not trade him for anyone else in the division, including both Marchand and Stamkos - not because they aren't better than him, but because Nylander can become that good and is much younger.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Domi is not and I repeat "not" close to William Nylander.

I also would definitely not trade him for anyone else in the division, including both Marchand and Stamkos - not because they aren't better than him, but because Nylander can become that good and is much younger.
You're right, they're not close. Domi is far better. Sure, Nylander could become better than those guys, but he almost certainly won't.

Reactions: DavePoulin4PM

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You're right, they're not close. Domi is far better. Sure, Nylander could become better than those guys, but he almost certainly won't.

And I'd rather take another 10 years of prime Nylander than however many Stamkos and Marchand have. And no, Nylander is much much better than Domi, as I ninja edited above:

"One rough season where he missed a couple months and then came back to play almost exclusively a slumping Naz, an ancient Marleau, and a garbage Brown does not mean Domi and his career year, shooting almost double his career sh% and one of the highest oiSH% in the league is better than him."

Yeah, Domi falling back to that 15~ goal, 40~ assist form is far more likely than him keeping this up.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I... what?

You're not serious...

Of course I am. Domi is a much better player right now than Nylander.

And I'd rather take another 10 years of prime Nylander than however many Stamkos and Marchand have. And no, Nylander is much much better than Domi, as I ninja edited above:

"One rough season where he missed a couple months and then came back to play almost exclusively a slumping Naz, an ancient Marleau, and a garbage Brown does not mean Domi and his career year, shooting almost double his career sh% and one of the highest oiSH% in the league is better than him."

Yeah, Domi falling back to that 15~ goal, 40~ assist form is far more likely than him keeping this up.

That's absurd. Domi has been producing this way consistently throughout the season. He's a better centre than Nylander. Even when he's not producing, he's creating chances at a pretty good rate. He's definitely driving his own line, and it doesn't matter who he plays with, so your linemates argument doesn't hold much weight. Domi is smashing Nylander this year, and is better than Nylander's previous seasons. And with regards to Stamkos and Marchand, let alone the big other group, you're welcome to take an inferior talent for longer. He isn't anywhere near as good as them, and very likely never comes near.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad