Proposal: Nylander and Risto

coastal

Jun 22, 2016
Maybe Buffalo adds... maybe because of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Marleau, Kadri and the salary cap they don’t.

Sabres move on from Risto and turn the backend over to Dahlin. Nylander joins his brother.

Leafs add a minute eating RHD with a manageable cap hit.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
i value Risto quite a bit higher, specially with how Nylander has been playing since he signed. Plus thats not even considering the better contract risto has!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Contracts favors Risto. I think Leafs get the better end of the deal here.

Granted both sides will bicker on this trade.

Kind of? Cap hit, yes favors Risto.

But Risto is a UFA after 3 more seasons. Nylander's contract goes for an additional 2 years after that which is a big benefit because Risto will either get a raise (thus negating the cap hit benefit) or he'll move on to another team.

Also, depends on when the deal is made. If it's after 7/1, then Nylander is only owed about $25M in real money over 5 years.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Value is good

But Leafs need a dman that helps keep the puck out of the net.... Risto is ****ing horrendous at exactly that.
Second paragraph is spot on.

Though adding a guy on the right side who could move the puck well would be nice, they cant be terrible in the defensive zone.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
i value Risto quite a bit higher, specially with how Nylander has been playing since he signed. Plus thats not even considering the better contract risto has!
Don't look at pts. While they certainly matter, the full picture is that Nylander has been creating shots at a very similar level as in the past. His possession numbers are strong. A consistent 10% shooter all of a sudden shooting at 5% tells you to expect an uptick in goal scoring for the remainder of the year.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

I think you should watch Nylander and stop stat watching. He’s been excellent since coming back and getting even back now that he’s back with Matthews

Discussing value is one thing, however Dubas said he won’t be traded as long as he’s the GM. Actually he made Nylander a garuntee before he signed the contract

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think you should watch Nylander and stop stat watching. He’s been excellent since coming back and getting even back now that he’s back with Matthews

Discussing value is one thing, however Dubas said he won’t be traded as long as he’s the GM. Actually he made Nylander a garuntee before he signed the contract
You were in the room?

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
You were in the room?

Dubas states it publically when the contract was announced.....

it was one of the main reasons for the holdout. Apperently without a NMC he didn’t want to give a discount to make him an attractive trade asset.
There was a lot of speculation that with Tavares coming over he was the odd man out and will be used to acquire defensive help

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Maybe Buffalo adds... maybe because of Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Marleau, Kadri and the salary cap they don’t.

Sabres move on from Risto and turn the backend over to Dahlin. Nylander joins his brother.

Leafs add a minute eating RHD with a manageable cap hit.
Helllllll no.
Just because he "munches minutes" doesnt mean he should or that he succeeds while doing so.
Risto is great offensively and has some edge but he gets exposed in his own zone like a bottom-pairing dman.

Last edited:

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
If Nylander being traded then the return should not be anything less than Parayko or a player similar to him. Risto is the exact opposite of the d-man we need.

Reactions: Mork

mitchthemitch

Jan 10, 2019
Toronto
I never said he's worth Parayko. point was it'd take on overpay to get him in trade. otherwise there's absolutely no reason to trade him

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad