Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
this fan base only knows what it is told. TSN and Sportsnet, Dreger and Kypreos, chose sides in the Marner vs Nylander debate. They came up with the Nylander is soft and lazy narrative that is going to stick to him for life. its unfortunate.

Since Nylander started PK'ing, he has the most takeaways on the PK and most short handed goals. Marner is not even in the convo. When Marner signed for almost 11M, TSN and Sportsnet told us Marner will fight for an Art Ross and that we will be a perennial 100pt player.

Meanwhile Nylander will actually hit 100pts and Marner has not for the entirety of his 6 year deal.

Nylander gets better and better season by season. Nylander is the Leafs best playoff performer. Mitch is not any of these things.

Domi this season has proved that paying Marner for playmaking is DUMB. Domi is playmaking for Matthews for $3M vs the 11M price tag of Marner.

Nylander scores goals. Marner doesn't.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
It's clearly his fault the we lost tonight.

He will not get another point this regular season, so if he touches the puck it guarantees we won't score. Forget about his own chances, there were several that he set up that would normally have gone in. And the one that did got called back.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
this fan base only knows what it is told. TSN and Sportsnet, Dreger and Kypreos, chose sides in the Marner vs Nylander debate. They came up with the Nylander is soft and lazy narrative that is going to stick to him for life. its unfortunate.

Since Nylander started PK'ing, he has the most takeaways on the PK and most short handed goals. Marner is not even in the convo. When Marner signed for almost 11M, TSN and Sportsnet told us Marner will fight for an Art Ross and that we will be a perennial 100pt player.

Meanwhile Nylander will actually hit 100pts and Marner has not for the entirety of his 6 year deal.

Nylander gets better and better season by season. Nylander is the Leafs best playoff performer. Mitch is not any of these things.

Domi this season has proved that paying Marner for playmaking is DUMB. Domi is playmaking for Matthews for $3M vs the 11M price tag of Marner.

Nylander has the exact number of points Marner did after the 79th game last year. I don't know why you are so righteous. Marner was forced to sit the last game out to rest. To tie marner in 81, he needs 3 points in the next 2 games and he currently has 3 points in the last 9 . I'd get off that horse before you look foolish.

And BTW...Domi has only 4 or 5 assists to Matthews, The rest are to Bert and others

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Before the contract -37 games 21 goals and 33 assists 54 points - 120 points pace
After the contract -42 games 19 goals and 23 assists 42 points - 82 points pace

1 g 2a in last 10 games. He should be able to do better with his eyes closed and he doesn't have to carry Tavares' (3g 3a in last 10) corpse.

Can't wait to hear all the excuses.

Reactions: KaN19 and rumman

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think too many people equate lack of results with lack of effort, particularly with top offensive players like Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Tavares. Understandable to an extent.

After a couple of off games, he's been playing well, but without any luck - either for himself or the players he's feeding.

For all the complaints about his defensive play, he, Robertson, and Holmberg haven't been on for a goal against in three games.

Last edited:
Reactions: freshwind

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Yeah he ain't hit 100 points yet there Cowboy, slow your roll.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Before the contract -37 games 21 goals and 33 assists 54 points - 120 points pace

1 g 2a in last 10 games. He should be able to do better with his eyes closed and he doesn't have to carry Tavares' (3g 3a in last 10) corpse.

Has the “elite zone entry” stat fallen off a cliff or am I missing something……..

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Why would there be an excuse? He had a career year. His 3rd straight.

Did anyone really think je morphed into an 120 point player. He had an incredible hot streak and now he is in a slump.

For awhile after the contract signing he got hot and was outpacing before.

He chose to sign for 11.5 and he will be judged based on that starting next year.

For this season, for 7 million, you really couldn't ask for more.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Has the “elite zone entry” stat fallen off a cliff or am I missing something……..
People change their game and sometimes it is because of a change made by the coach. At the least we can be pleased that he wont be going into a slump. There is only one place to go and that is good news.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Did anyone really think je morphed into an 120 point player. He had an incredible hot streak and now he is in a slump.

He chose to sign for 11.5 and he will be judged based on that starting next year.

The moment he signed, he's valued at that, IMO.

Agree with the rest though and he'll be fine, he is what he is at this point.
Super skilled, can be prone to disinterest on the defensive side of the game.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Sure he has earned his contract but going from a 120 point pace to an 82 point pace kind of stinks to me. Take away the 3 points vs SJ the night he signed and he's less than a point per game player for half the season.

Nobody thought he morphed into a 120 point player but I doubt anybody thought he'd revert to the same old Willy the rest of the way.

He and Matty have a chance to be the first Leafs team mates to record 100 points in the same season and Willie has decided to go into coast mode for the last 10 games.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Sure he has earned his contract but going from a 120 point pace to an 82 point pace kind of stinks to me. Take away the 3 points vs SJ the night he signed and he's less than a point per game player for half the season.

Nobody thought he morphed into a 120 point player but I doubt anybody thought he'd revert to the same old Willy the rest of the way.

He and Matty have a chance to be the first Leafs team mates to record 100 points in the same season and Willie has decided to go into coast mode for the last 10 games.
Coasting is a stretch.

Why is it all Leafs when they are not scoring are coasting? While other players on different teams go through slumps and have ups and downs?

I am not ignoring he has had some poor games lately, but how many chances has he created for himself or others that just havn't gone in?

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Nylander has the exact number of points Marner did after the 79th game last year. I don't know why you are so righteous. Marner was forced to sit the last game out to rest. To tie marner in 81, he needs 3 points in the next 2 games and he currently has 3 points in the last 9 . I'd get off that horse before you look foolish.

And BTW...Domi has only 4 or 5 assists to Matthews, The rest are to Bert and others
Willy at 100pts or more will accomplish something Marner has not. I like the 100pts with 40+ goals from Nylander. Its more impressive 99 pts with 69 assists.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Coasting is a stretch.

Why is it all Leafs when they are not scoring are coasting? While other players on different teams go through slumps and have ups and downs?

I am not ignoring he has had some poor games lately, but how many chances has he created for himself or others that just havn't gone in?
Willie was lights out for 39 games. He signs a huge deal and then has ups and downs and looks like the old Nylander for the next 40 games. Old Willie is good because he has all the talent in the world, but we need the Willie who played the first half of the season to reappear soon.

Reactions: rumman

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Sure, but take away the 40 best games from anyone on this team (or from any team for that matter) this season and they'd also look less impressive....

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Willy at 100pts or more will accomplish something Marner has not. I like the 100pts with 40+ goals from Nylander. Its more impressive 99 pts with 69 assists.
Lol...if you say so.
Just note that last years number of 99 in 81 contrasts to Willy's 80 in 81 when he was the same age.
Adjusted for games played, Marner is already past 100 pt scoring rate this year. You go ahead and cheer a bit louder

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sure, but take away the 40 best games from anyone on this team (or from any team for that matter) this season and they'd also look less impressive....
I am comparing his first 39 games vs next 40 games which just so happen to be after he signs his $92m deal. He can and needs to be better. He is closer to the first guy than the last guy and IMO he has taken his foot off the gas.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Willy was hitting and digging in the corners before his contract extension. Even though I wasn’t a big fan of Willy
He impressed me and I thought maybe this guy finally gets it. Young strong great skater now he is back to playing when he feels like it

Reactions: rumman

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Willie was lights out for 39 games. He signs a huge deal and then has ups and downs and looks like the old Nylander for the next 40 games. Old Willie is good because he has all the talent in the world, but we need the Willie who played the first half of the season to reappear soon.
He looks like the old Nylandet because that's who Nylander is. A streaky player who is probably 35-40 goals and 80-90 points a year.

He was crazy hot to start the year, and it was a good thing he was because the Leafs had little to no sevondary scoring and Matthews and Marner were not rolling yet.

Out of 8 years, he has had one half season where he paced for 120 points. How is it reasonable to expect that forever?

If Tre or Shanny gave him that contract based on 30 some odd games than they are not fit to run an NHL team.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He looks like the old Nylandet because that's who Nylander is. A streaky player who is probably 35-40 goals and 80-90 points a year.

He was crazy hot to start the year, and it was a good thing he was because the Leafs had little to no sevondary scoring and Matthews and Marner were not rolling yet.

Out of 8 years, he has had one half season where he paced for 120 points. How is it reasonable to expect that forever?

If Tre or Shanny gave him that contract based on 30 some odd games than they are not fit to run an NHL team.
Then I don't get why they paid him that much,

if he's an 80-90 point player why did we pay him over 11? Why did he even ask for anything over 9 (this ones a bit of a joke, players can ask for anything as their right). Why were there even reports that nylander wanted around 10, and we were looking at 8-9 in the summer, he should've just signed the fair deal

I get nylander bet on himself and it worked, but it's on him to be more than that 80-90 point player, or he deserves to get booed just as badly as marner and matthews do, if not worse. It just feels stupid that we pay our guys millions more than their worth every single time.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Then I don't get why they paid him that much,

if he's an 80-90 point player why did we pay him over 11? Why did he even ask for anything over 9 (this ones a bit of a joke, players can ask for anything as their right). Why were there even reports that nylander wanted around 10, and we were looking at 8-9 in the summer, he should've just signed the fair deal

I get nylander bet on himself and it worked, but it's on him to be more than that 80-90 point player, or he deserves to get booed just as badly as marner and matthews do, if not worse. It just feels stupid that we pay our guys millions more than their worth every single time.
Matthews has never been boo'd, Marner either other than here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad