Player Discussion Nylander After the Contract

What was the right contract?

• Total voters

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
May as well give him a break, he seems continually disinterested.
I don't belive this to be true.

If I look back over the season then Nylander, witj help from Jones pretty much saved it from derailing.

Matthews was pretty inconsistent to start, there was virtually no secondary scoring, and Samsonov was having a mental breakdown.

Without Willy playong way over his head, the Leafs might be in a spot fighting for their lives.

Having a career year after putting up numbers that you have never come close to, regardless if you really believe was for his next contract.( Which if GM's are that stupid, then good on the players who take advantage)

Possibly he has a nagging injury, possibly he could care less about reaching 100 points and is just staying in shape getting ready for the playoffs.

It's far rarer for an elite athlete not to care

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't belive this to be true.

If I look back over the season then Nylander, witj help from Jones pretty much saved it from derailing.

Matthews was pretty inconsistent to start, there was virtually no secondary scoring, and Samsonov was having a mental breakdown.

Without Willy playong way over his head, the Leafs might be in a spot fighting for their lives.

Having a career year after putting up numbers that you have never come close to, regardless if you really believe was for his next contract.( Which if GM's are that stupid, then good on the players who take advantage)

Possibly he has a nagging injury, possibly he could care less about reaching 100 points and is just staying in shape getting ready for the playoffs.

It's far rarer for an elite athlete not to care
I wasn't referring to the entire season just the past few games.
It's much more apparent live.

Reactions: Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I wasn't referring to the entire season just the past few games.
It's much more apparent live.
I shouldn't really say anything as I have only caught a period here or there for the past few games, but I still have hopes he is dealing with an injury, rather than just being disinterested

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I shouldn't really say anything as I have only caught a period here or there for the past few games, but I still have hopes he is dealing with an injury, rather than just being disinterested
It could be although he does show some jump at times. If he is hurt it really seems to affect him more on his own side of center.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
It could be although he does show some jump at times. If he is hurt it really seems to affect him more on his own side of center.

I think his skating as looked off in the offensive zone too. Illness (and as a result low energy) may be another factor rather than injury. But I don't believe anything one way or the other has been reported on or announced by the team

Reactions: arso40 and ACC1224

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
He is not used like he is being hurt or sick. Second in toi among forwards last game. Shots on goal is down. But is that due to worse, always changing linesmates or something else, who knows? 1st and 2nd line seems set. But I want mcmann Holmberg Nylander, at least to even lines up a bit. Or marner with nylander but not Tavares.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Some of it seems to be just bad luck.

Two games in a row he was instrumental in setting up the first goal, drew the penalty leading to the second against Pitts, and I don't think his goal tonight should have been called back. Several setups that various people, particularly JT, couldn't bury. Not even a single assist to show for it.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Some of it seems to be just bad luck.

Two games in a row he was instrumental in setting up the first goal, drew the penalty leading to the second against Pitts, and I don't think his goal tonight should have been called back. Several setups that various people, particularly JT, couldn't bury. Not even a single assist to show for it.

since 2 game, he started to rais his his game energy and defensive commitment for sure. Vs pittsburgh it wqs not perfect but he was working harder and took 2 penalty but one of them maybe saved a goal. yesterday also raiso his energy and was higher than pittsburgh. Best game of nylander since a while. if he can continu on that road maybe leafs finally will find back nylander of 1st half to start the playoff

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
since 2 game, he started to rais his his game energy and defensive commitment for sure. Vs pittsburgh it wqs not perfect but he was working harder and took 2 penalty but one of them maybe saved a goal. yesterday also raiso his energy and was higher than pittsburgh. Best game of nylander since a while. if he can continu on that road maybe leafs finally will find back nylander of 1st half to start the playoff
Under rated play Nylander made last night was when he stole the puck on the 6 on 4, made a move to exit the zone, looked up ice to see Hughes playong net and instead of icing the puck or selfishly trying to score from 120 feet, circled back, made a nice pass back to the d and killed an extra 20 seconds

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Under rated play Nylander made last night was when he stole the puck on the 6 on 4, made a move to exit the zone, looked up ice to see Hughes playong net and instead of icing the puck or selfishly trying to score from 120 feet, circled back, made a nice pass back to the d and killed an extra 20 seconds

yeah he played for the team tonight and we even ssaw him on shooting lane trying to block shot, i dont remembered the last time he did it. This game was clearly positive thing.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I really wonder where you get your 'facts', particularly where Nylander is concerned.

He took *one* penalty against Pittsburgh, because Crosby grabbed his stick after Willy took the puck away. That was near the blueline, and I don't think it "maybe saved a goal".

I think you would enjoy the games more if you stopped trying to find a way to blame Willy for things he didn't do.

Reactions: hotpaws

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I really wonder where you get your 'facts', particularly where Nylander is concerned.

He took *one* penalty against Pittsburgh, because Crosby grabbed his stick after Willy took the puck away. That was near the blueline, and I don't think it "maybe saved a goal".

I think you would enjoy the games more if you stopped trying to find a way to blame Willy for things he didn't do.

the first one they finally gave it to benoit but nylander was holding, tripping bunting too and should be the guy get the call for it but like i said, it was a good penalty on a miscommunication play to save possibly a bunting goal. I have nothing to say about this one.

Against crosby is was not his best play but at least they got a call because he tried to do too much unstead of a total disengagement, inprefer that.

And i dont know whats wrong, i just said we finally seeing the good nylander version. I said absolutly nothing negative about nylander, sorry

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
the first one they finally gave it to benoit but nylander was holding, tripping bunting too and should be the guy get the call for it but like i said, it was a good penalty on a miscommunication play to save possibly a bunting goal. I have nothing to say about this one.

Against crosby is was not his best play but at least they got a call because he tried to do too much unstead of a total disengagement, inprefer that.

And i dont know whats wrong, i just said we finally seeing the good nylander version. I said absolutly nothing negative about nylander, sorry
They gave the penalty to Benoit because Benoit took the penalty.

Crosby intercepted an ill-advised pass from Holmberg and Willy took the puck off him. Yes, Syd drew a penalty by holding his stick.

I don't see what's right about your typically blaming Nylander for something he didn't do.

Admitting you were wrong is an improvement.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
They gave the penalty to Benoit because Benoit took the penalty.

Crosby intercepted an ill-advised pass from Holmberg and Willy took the puck off him. Yes, Syd drew a penalty by holding his stick.

I don't see what's right about your typically blaming Nylander for something he didn't do.

Admitting you were wrong is an improvement.

nylander didn't get the call because of his stick, he get a call because he grabbed crosby with his left arm, its an automatic penalty most of the time.

on bunting penalty, you can easily watch the replay on highlights, both making bunting felt on the ice. nylander with Hooking/tripping, benoit with his stick on bunting feet. It was just a coin toss to decide who get the call. but it was rhe right thing to do, dont know why you still talking and complain about it?!?!?!

Last edited:
Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I think the reason that Willy appears to have slowed down lately is twofold: firstly the PP has been awful for over a month now which takes away a lot of good puck touches and points, and secondly, he's now playing third-line with Holmberg, who for as much as I like him, is not nearly good enough offensively to play with 88. He has also had some bad luck, by my eye-test could have easily come away with 3-4 assists last night. Sprung a couple of guys for a breakaway, set up people in the slot, and again did all the work on the Robertson goal but didn't get a point for it.

Seems to be that he has been working more on his defensive game and being less selfish. I liked his curl-up last night rather than trying for the EN. Also, his attitude is fantastic. Marner would have pouted about being punted to the third line, 88 says nothing, and just gets to work.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I think the reason that Willy appears to have slowed down lately is twofold: firstly the PP has been awful for over a month now which takes away a lot of good puck touches and points, and secondly, he's now playing third-line with Holmberg, who for as much as I like him, is not nearly good enough offensively to play with 88. He has also had some bad luck, by my eye-test could have easily come away with 3-4 assists last night. Sprung a couple of guys for a breakaway, set up people in the slot, and again did all the work on the Robertson goal but didn't get a point for it.

Seems to be that he has been working more on his defensive game and being less selfish. I liked his curl-up last night rather than trying for the EN. Also, his attitude is fantastic. Marner would have pouted about being punted to the third line, 88 says nothing, and just gets to work.
you can have 0 point and playing a fantastic game or finishing with 2 goal and had been completly trash rest of the game.

he played on 3rd line 3 game and his last 2 game was maybe 2 of his best in the last 40. the fact he didn't get an pts changing absolutly nothing

Reactions: Skullz and arso40

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Nylander is standing in the right spot at all times in the o-zone even though he is moving at half speed right now. It's not his fault he's the only one on the 3rd line who can make a play. Holmberg is one and done, toss the puck at the net softly and hope for a tip. Knies was a beast last game but with nylander and holmberg his cycle game was non-existent. He was more useful when he didn't have the puck and then the eventual shot for a goal.

Nylander has been the main driver for all the 3rd line goals even though he doesn't have assists on all.

He's done nothing the past few years to suggest he won't ramp it back up for round 1.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
nylander didn't get the call because of his stick, he get a call because he grabbed crosby with his left arm, its an automatic penalty most of the time.

on bunting penalty, you can easily watch the replay on highlights, both making bunting felt on the ice. nylander with Hooking/tripping, benoit with his stick on bunting feet. It was just a coin toss to decide who get the call. but it was rhe right thing to do, dont know why you still talking and complain about it?!?!?!
I'm still trying to get you to see what actually happened.

Why are you still so obsessed with Willy that you have to try to blame him for things that he didn't do?

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I cannot believe Willie is gonna sulk his way to missing 100 points after being on pace for 120.
Mitchy put the voodoo curse on him
I don't think he's sulking. He's maybe trying to force it, which is why he's getting a lot of shots blocked, but he's still generating chances for himself and others, that just aren't going in at the moment.

The constant flux of linemates probably doesn't help either.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
They need to play him and Marner together on L2

Banish JT to L3 with mcmann and whichever scrub fills in for Robertson when he gets scratched

We need to break the Matthews 100 point only curse

Reactions: notDatsyuk

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
They need to play him and Marner together on L2

Banish JT to L3 with mcmann and whichever scrub fills in for Robertson when he gets scratched

We need to break the Matthews 100 point only curse
We need to focus on winning the cup.
That’s the only thing that matters. Or at least it should be all that matters.

Reactions: Racer88 and arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad