Confirmed Trade: [NYI/VAN] Bo Horvat (25% retained) for 2023 1st round pick (top 12 protected), Anthony Beauvillier, and Aatu Raty

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Good deal for Bo! Will get a chance to play in the playoffs and the guaranteed payday in the off-season. Not sure about the Canucks and the Isles. They are kind of both f***ed)))

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Would be very hilarious if that NYI 1st became another Horvat in the making lol...The gift that keeps on giving

You were expecting a young defenseman that is a blue chip prospect as a return for Horvat?? I really doubt any team would have given that type of return if you were expecting top end defensive prospect which are worth gold right now. Stop dreaming, we traded an unextended Horvat for 3 pieces which 2 of them are 1st round picks. That 1st in this draft will probably give us that blue chip prospect and the D that you want.
Where did I say blue chip prospect? Holy f***ing hell are you just plain blind or dyslexic? You keep making up arguments. Seriously, do you need help reading?

I simply said, get a defenseman, or pieces to help the defense. Romanov was there. But instead a team who has no problem scoring decided to aim for more scoring.

And what the f*** is this 2 first round bullshit. That's like me saying I could trade Bogosian and Vlad Namestnikov to Vancouver and you would say "They got 2 first round picks". Beauvillier is 25, playing second line. Where he was drafted 7 years ago is irrelevant.

Seriously dude, seek help.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Pretty sure the Canucks offered Horvat 7.2/8. Horvat turned down Kadri money. Kadri takes over games in a way that Horvat doesn't
True - but you are paying for years 28+ for Horvat versus 31+ for Kadri. That’s three more prime years and three less total black hole years at the back end. At the back end, they are both going to be crap contracts but you at least get a few more prime years with Horvat.

Totally agree though - aside from sorting goal totals this year - Kadri is a more talented player who can and did take over games with the Avs with a level of offensive vision and flair that Horvat simply doesn’t have. Horvat can still be quite valuable though even if his goal scoring returns to normal levels after this Kreider-esque outlier season.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The issue to me isn't value. It's addressing needs in Vancouver. Which this trade hasn't done...at all. Value wise the trade is fine. Needs why, it's a head scratcher why the Canucks went after Raty and Beauvillier. I can see the argument for Raty, but Romanov was a better choice to get over Beauvillier. Figure out what they needed to do to make it work for both sides.
Rather have Ratman than Romanov in all honesty. Ratty has higher upside and we can get a D in the draft

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
The issue to me isn't value. It's addressing needs in Vancouver. Which this trade hasn't done...at all. Value wise the trade is fine. Needs why, it's a head scratcher why the Canucks went after Raty and Beauvillier. I can see the argument for Raty, but Romanov was a better choice to get over Beauvillier. Figure out what they needed to do to make it work for both sides.
The Isles just gave up the #12 overall pick (IIRC) for Romanov and play him over 20 minutes a night. Why would he have been available? If you put him in over Beauvillier who is basically a cap dump from their end, you’re probably going to lose the first rounder and downgrade Raty to something lesser.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Where did I say blue chip prospect? Holy f***ing hell are you just plain blind or dyslexic? You keep making up arguments. Seriously, do you need help reading?

I simply said, get a defenseman, or pieces to help the defense. Romanov was there. But instead a team who has no problem scoring decided to aim for more scoring.

And what the f*** is this 2 first round bullshit. That's like me saying I could trade Bogosian and Vlad Namestnikov to Vancouver and you would say "They got 2 first round picks". Beauvillier is 25, playing second line. Where he was drafted 7 years ago is irrelevant.

Seriously dude, seek help.
So any mediocre D is fine by you if they just get a D. Nope, I don't want just any D, needs to be a top 4 D not another reclamation project like Stillman or Bear or Dermott. If Canucks need to get a young D, it better be one that has high potential and blue chip prospect. Better to draft one than to trade for an average one. While Raty is a center and will have higher potential than Romanov making the top 4.

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
Weird trade with no extension
Personally, the Islanders would not have made this trade, unless they intended to pay for an extension of Horvat. It is not going to be cheap; but that is my prediction.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
So any mediocre D is fine by you if they just get a D. Nope, I don't want just any D, needs to be a top 4 D not another reclamation project like Stillman or Bear or Dermott. If Canucks need to get a young D, it better be one that has high potential and blue chip prospect. Better to draft one than to trade for an average one. While Raty is a center and will have higher potential than Romanov making the top 4.
So you think Lou would say no to Romanov, Raty, and 1st? Why would he say no if Romanov is mediocre? Why would he give up Raty and Beauvillier if he didn't think they were expendable?

Romanov is the type of defender you want playing with Hughes. Especially if Vancouver moves Schenn. What's the option? The chaos giraffe Myers or OEL playing with him?

I am born and raised in Vancouver. I know the team pretty damn well. I can't avoid them even though I'm not a fan.

The Isles just gave up the #12 overall pick (IIRC) for Romanov and play him over 20 minutes a night. Why would he have been available? If you put him in over Beauvillier who is basically a cap dump from their end, you’re probably going to lose the first rounder and downgrade Raty to something lesser.
My proposal would have been Romanov and 1st same protection for Horvat. I don't see the point of Raty in the trade in the first place. Vancouver should have targeted a defenseman is all I'm saying.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Good deal for Bo! Will get a chance to play in the playoffs and the guaranteed payday in the off-season. Not sure about the Canucks and the Isles. They are kind of both f***ed)))
Canucks are not but HFboard is funny, you doomed if you do and doomed if you don't. People love to whine here whether we trade Horvat, Re-sign Horvat, let Horvat walk...all the same...we are f**ked. I mean there is no right thing Canucks can do because people always whine about them.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
So you think Lou would say no to Romanov, Raty, and 1st?
Yes he obviously would say no to that. He just traded the 13th overall pick for Romanov. Ridiculous to think that Romanov and was on the table but Vancouver simply chose Beavillier over him.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Yes he obviously would say no to that. He just traded the 13th overall pick for Romanov. Ridiculous to think that Romanov and was on the table but Vancouver simply chose Beavillier over him.
Take Raty out then. Romanov was exactly what Vancouver needed.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Since im a canucks fan who has horvat in my fantasy pool with money on the line. Dont put him as a net front presence, it doesnt work, for the love of god. Just dont make him stand in front of the net. Yeah hes good at tips, but it just did not work, he would try to spin around and jam pucks in constantly and it never worked. He has a good shot, so just dont park him like a statue in front of the net.
Don't think you need to worry about that while the Isles still have Anders Lee.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Canucks are not but HFboard is funny, you doomed if you do and doomed if you don't. People love to whine here whether we trade Horvat, Re-sign Horvat, let Horvat walk...all the same...we are f**ked. I mean there is no right thing Canucks can do because people always whine about them.
Of course Canucks are f***ed. They just lost their best player for magic beans.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I'm meh on the deal. Beauvillier is basically pointless and redundant with all the wingers in the Canucks system. Simply a cap move.

Raty is ok but I think he's basically a decent 3rd liner if he maxes out.

The 1st rounder this year being, potentially, 13th-18th has me intrigued. That's far better than a 25th-30th spot usually but especially this year could be a player who would normally be top 10 most years.
I honestly don't think the Canucks were going to do much better. Any other deal in which they were getting a better roster player or prospect would have included a much worse draft pick.

Like you already said, a mid round pick in THIS draft in particular is an extremely valuable asset. All for a rental.

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
Good deal for the Canucks. Horvat is vastly overrated.
I don't think Horvat is overated at all. However, I would question if he is worth a 8 year, $8 million dollar contract. He is one of the best face-off men in the business, is always looking to improve. Which he has shown in areas like his speed, face-offs and his scoring. Some never appreciated him as a captain because he was not vocal enough. Yet that is not what he is about, he tries to lead by example; that does not seem to have been working very well this year. However, they have a bit of a perfect storm, Demko going down to injury, defence not up to snuff. I expected Podkolzin to take the next step this year. But, somehow took a step back. I still expect good things from him in the future, but...

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Struggling is an understatement. Our PP is pathetic
Well assuming the chemistry is there, Horvat would be one of the best players in the league to remedy that. You've got the playmaker/quarterback in Barzal and you've got the steady D-Men with the big shot in Pulock/Dobson. Horvat adds another element in the form of the bumper.

Reactions: SI90

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'm still not seeing it. I don't see Horvat pushing them over Wash, Pitt or Buffalo. They have players issues as in plural.
What would those issues be? Before the Pelech injury Isles numbers weren't pretty but the wins were there. The biggest issue of all for any avid Isles fan is 100% the shittiest PP in the league. Horvat is the perfect step in the direction to fix that. Many suspect LL isn't done due to the retention that was worked in. I don't believe this is a fix-all, but it'd be ignorant to think that this isn't a step in the right direction to becoming a playoff team when you are on the bubble and within striking distance. You should be more worried about your own team getting some veteran Stanley Cup presence in their lineup before they are an easy out come round 1.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Get really mixed feelings about this trade as I am both Isles and Vancouver fan. I Hope Beau does well in Vancouver as he could use a fresh start to regain his top form. If Bo resigns at a reasonable contract with Isles he does help them strongly in one area - PP.

Yes, hate to lose Raty as well as this year's 1st, even top 12 protected as it is such a deep draft. I guess Isles is passing that stage of watching their prospects develop fast enough to significantly improve the goal production. Raty will produce no doubt down in the near future but the owner/management and some of the fans are losing patience.

Was hoping Isles have a chance to draft Barlow in this year's draft. It does not look like that will happen now. I just wondering how Isles going to manage the cap once resign Bo with Wally and Sorokin's contracts coming up and need to ensure there is space to resign Dobson when his current contract expires. Someone else will have to be traded either next season or the following.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
There better be an extension with this coming up soon. It makes sense because the Isles badly need a goalscorer but its a gamble without an extension already agreed

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
There better be an extension with this coming up soon. It makes sense because the Isles badly need a goalscorer but its a gamble without an extension already agreed

you guys are about to pay him 8.5 million over 7 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad