Confirmed Trade: [NYI/VAN] Bo Horvat (25% retained) for 2023 1st round pick (top 12 protected), Anthony Beauvillier, and Aatu Raty

Status
Not open for further replies.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com

Some might not know but Räty was the early frontrunner for first overall in the 2021 draft but had a rough one and a half years and fell to the second round. Then he came back hard and had a great season last year. 40 points in 41 Liiga games and 10 points in WJC. He really turned his game around and finally looked like the player many thought he could be. He's big, has a good shot, solid playmaking, good two way skill and overall a smart player but needs to work on his skating.
True story. There was also a nasty rumor circulating weeks before the draft which was proven true about 2 says prior to the draft taking place.

Raty was rumored to have such a HUGE fetish for the original Dukes of Hazzard, that he'd actually skip practices or games if they were on TV in syndication during the time he was supposed to be playing. Specifically for John Schneider. So much so that he even had all of his country music albums, was the president of the Uncle Jessie fan club Finnish division (it was never a secret that he was president of the same fan club for Schneider due to his often, proud declarations about how he was it's founding member and 8 years later, still its lone member... usually when attempting to recruit his current teammates at the time or bragging about it because he thought the chicks really dig it).
His draft stock took a major hit when in the meetings for every club all he did throughout when asked any questions was laughing like Roscoe P. Coltrane, then asking the room if they knew who he was imitating and finally after becoming perplexed that nobody knew the answer despite his spot on impression that he spent more time perfecting the prior years leading up to his draft than he did on hockey, he spent the rest of the allotted meeting time explaining who Roscoe was and why he was the "new sheriff in town" ...which is how he plays and why he imitates his game to a person who didn't actually play the game.
The Isles took a chance due to Uncle Lou's rumored ties to his younger years of going on days long cocaine and hooker benders with the aforementioned Uncle Jessie.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
There better be an extension with this coming up soon. It makes sense because the Isles badly need a goalscorer but its a gamble without an extension already agreed

Our team didn't let any GM talk to Bo's agent prior to the trade, Lou must be very confident in his ability to get an extension done 1 month before the deadline, and if nothing works out, he can easily flip Bo again before the TDL.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I like Beauvillier and Raty and the first rounder the Canucks are going to get but...Horvat was a top 6 forward numero duo Centre. Beauvillier is not though he might be a top 6 Forward in time. Raty is like so many Islanders forward prospects...rushed before their time.But he has promise and potential! The first rounder is just that a First rounder the scouts have to turn it into a player that can play top Forward 6-9 or top 3 D or maybe a top flight goaltender?For GM Allvin to say he got back 3 first rounder is delusional. I guess in time we'll see and I hope he's right and I'm dead wrong because the Canucks franchise needs a lot of help all round

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I don't know why the excitement from Canucks fans, perplexing. Raty is a complete wild card, the 1st could easily be 18th or so and Beauvillier is not part of the long term plan and will be flipped this year or next for a late second or third round pick.

The Canucks should have guaranteed themselves at least a top 6 prospect, they didnt do that and for that I think this trade is underwhelming.

Best thing that can happen is that NYI sucks this year and the pick slides to next and they suck next year even worse. Otherwise I just don't see it.

I think Rutherford was worried the market would be diluted and settled for a less than optimal deal in favour of dealing at the deadline with so many big names out there and fewer buyers.

Last edited:

Tom Hardy

Dec 10, 2018
Don't get why people think this is such a massive return, I'd be pretty underwhelmed if I were a Canucks fan
I get your point here. However, the fact Horvat could be just a rental (which I think he will sign) and they got a first round pick as well as potential in Raty, is not too bad.

I would rather have gotten a really good young defenseman back. However, that is hard to get. I think what this does, is say that the Canucks are going in a different direction and conceding that they do not mind finishing further down in the rankings and perhaps getting a top 5 pick.

I don't really mind this too much, because Demkp is injured and they are not going far anyway. I will miss Horvat though.

Personally speaking, if the opportunity is there, I think the Canucks are going to use this first and perhaps theirs if it is not in the top 5, to get in the top 3-4. This is supposed to be a great draft.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Take Raty out then. Romanov was exactly what Vancouver needed.
You don't make sense at all. Islanders probably didn't want to trade Romanov but keep crying bout it lol. Maybe if you take out Raty, 1st round pick and Bevillier they would give Romanov for Horvat straight swap.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
So Raty at 20 year old is a bust, we got a crap pick eventhough it's probably 15th pick in the 1st round of a deep draft and a middle 6er yet you already proclaim Horvat as a 45 goal scoring machine when he hasn't reached that yet and maybe he will or he won't this season with the isles in this anomaly of season for him. Buddy stop pumping up Horvat like he is a superstar top center when in fact this is his first year to be scoring this much. He is a good center but not a top 1st line center.
Wow...talk about rose colored glasses...or self delusion?
On one side, you put the bust label on a 20 year old without seeing how it plays out then on the other you go the opposite direction and label a guy with a career high of 31 goals as a "45 goal scorer" as if it's a fact.
Then you use those two... whatever they are as facts to make your case.
You should write for the National Enquirer...or really, any newspaper nowadays as all journalists make up there own illusions to back their story.

It is eerily reminiscent of a moral dilemma that Bo and Luke Duke were facing in a season 3 episode.
Season 3 as you all know, is considered their greatest artistic work though I need not tell any of you folks this...nor do I need to repeat the scenario as I'm sure when reading the post I'm responding to, each of you immediately thought of the exact same episode

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I don't know why the excitement from Canucks fans, perplexing. Raty is a complete wild card, the 1st could easily be 18th or so and Beauvillier is not part of the long term plan and will be flipped this year or next for a late second or third round pick.

The Canucks should have guaranteed themselves at least a top 6 prospect, they didnt do that.
You guys are funny, one minute whining about trading Horvat before he walks and the fact he is a rental and isn't worth as much then the minute he gets traded, whine about the 1st round pick and the prospect. Remember how we valued Miller and needing top blue chip prospects like schneider, didn't get it and all of HFboard laughed at Canucks for not trading him and signing him. Now we do the complete opposite with Horvat and you whine about the return? WTF do you want? Makar and Bedard for Horvat?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Wow...talk about rose colored glasses...or self delusion?
On one side, you put the bust label on a 20 year old without seeing how it plays out then on the other you go the opposite direction and label a guy with a career high of 31 goals as a "45 goal scorer" as if it's a fact.
Then you use those two... whatever they are as facts to make your case.
You should write for the National Enquirer...or really, any newspaper nowadays as all journalists make up there own illusions to back their story.

It is eerily reminiscent of a moral dilemma that Bo and Luke Duke were facing in a season 3 episode.
Season 3 as you all know, is considered their greatest artistic work though I need not tell any of you folks this...nor do I need to repeat the scenario as I'm sure when reading the post I'm responding to, each of you immediately thought of the exact same episode
A 20 year old player who just entered the NHL shouldn't be labelled a bust so quickly because it is stupid. While a Player like Horvat who has played 7 or 8 years in the NHL and has 650 games under his belt is pretty much showing what he is at NHL level. One great year all of a sudden and you are ready to put him next to players like McDavid and Barkov? Give me a break, you are comparing apples and oranges. We already have seen what Horvat is based on a huge sample size. When has Horvat scored 45 goals, he hasn't even reached 45 goals this year and you want to label him as this elite goal scorer? Jesus Christ, some people in this board should just quit watching hockey and watch golf. It's really common sense to see one player is 20 years old and still developing while the other player in Horvat is 28 years old and is in his prime. Not sure how to spell it out for you if you still don't get it

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
You guys are funny, one minute whining about trading Horvat before he walks and the fact he is a rental and isn't worth as much then the minute he gets traded, whine about the 1st round pick and the prospect. Remember how we valued Miller and needing top blue chip prospects like schneider, didn't get it and all of HFboard laughed at Canucks for not trading him and signing him. Now we do the complete opposite with Horvat and you whine about the return? WTF do you want? Makar and Bedard for Horvat?
was mid edit in my post before you replied, I posted it before I was done.

Anyway, not sure who 'you guys' are. There is no guaranteed top 6 in the deal which to me makes it a failure and Beauvillier is useless to Vancouver. It's not a great return for a 50 goal scoring captain who has a bit of that playoff X factor dna in him.

When trading a player like Horvat you want one guaranteed future top 6 (or top pairing d) in return, Raty isn't that. Might be, but more of a wild card than is worth gambling on with your big movable asset.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
What if JT Miller isn't the problem after all and getting rid of Bo causes Vancouver to turn it around and make the playoffs?
Obviously the problem isn't Miller...or Horvat.

As I've eluded and hinted to several times in this thread though it seems as if it might be falling on deaf ears, the problem goes much deeper than a mere player or 2 and JR knew it.
And he targeted Raty specifically to address the issue. And he did so in a masterful way. So much so, that I see a swift turnaround for Vancouver (they just became my frontrunners for winning the Cup) and what has plagued the organization was a major lack of that Hazzard County swagger that Bo, Luke and Daisy could pull off naturally.

With Raty now in the organization, I don't think that will be a problem ever again.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Where did I say blue chip prospect? Holy f***ing hell are you just plain blind or dyslexic? You keep making up arguments. Seriously, do you need help reading?

I simply said, get a defenseman, or pieces to help the defense. Romanov was there. But instead a team who has no problem scoring decided to aim for more scoring.

And what the f*** is this 2 first round bullshit. That's like me saying I could trade Bogosian and Vlad Namestnikov to Vancouver and you would say "They got 2 first round picks". Beauvillier is 25, playing second line. Where he was drafted 7 years ago is irrelevant.

Seriously dude, seek help.
How do you even know this trade gets done if the ask was Romanov? How do you know Romanov "was there"? Why do so many of you think you're more clever than the GM in question? I'm pretty sure if a good young defenceman was available in a package just like this then Allvin would have taken it.

So bizarre how people assume better options were on the table and the GM just....didn't take it.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Our team didn't let any GM talk to Bo's agent prior to the trade, Lou must be very confident in his ability to get an extension done 1 month before the deadline, and if nothing works out, he can easily flip Bo again before the TDL.

And he'll get jack shit for him, Isles flipping Horvat would be an awful use of assets. Every GM would lowball Lou for Horvat considering they could just sign him in the summer unless some team like Carolina who thinks they're a Horvat away (which they might be) gets super desperate.

JeffroTullison

Aug 26, 2021
Bo will get overpaid 7x7 (contender team) likely 8x8+ on a middling team. Glad Nucks got something from him.

stardog

Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
A 20 year old player who just entered the NHL shouldn't be labelled a bust so quickly because it is stupid. While a Player like Horvat who has played 7 or 8 years in the NHL and has 650 games under his belt is pretty much showing what he is at NHL level. One great year all of a sudden and you are ready to put him next to players like McDavid and Barkov? Give me a break, you are comparing apples and oranges. We already have seen what Horvat is based on a huge sample size. When has Horvat scored 45 goals, he hasn't even reached 45 goals this year and you want to label him as this elite goal scorer? Jesus Christ, some people in this board should just quit watching hockey and watch golf. It's really common sense to see one player is 20 years old and still developing while the other player in Horvat is 28 years old and is in his prime. Not sure how to spell it out for you if you still don't get it
Hey dummy....my post was agreeing with exactly what you said.
Since you were unable to obtain a grasp of the obvious, I don't think you should be the kind of person who offers to spell anything for anyone

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
He's 4th on your team in even strength points...
Beauvilier is completely useless to a team that is looking to rebuild. Even if you don't think you're rebuilding (which would be a mistake) there are too many holes in Van's roster than to think about playoffs next year. So why add him?

His value is not what he will do for you on the ice between now and next April, it's what he will return at this deadline or next so I wouldn't get too comfortable with him.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Canucks are not but HFboard is funny, you doomed if you do and doomed if you don't. People love to whine here whether we trade Horvat, Re-sign Horvat, let Horvat walk...all the same...we are f**ked. I mean there is no right thing Canucks can do because people always whine about them.
Exactly.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
The issue to me isn't value. It's addressing needs in Vancouver. Which this trade hasn't done...at all. Value wise the trade is fine. Needs why, it's a head scratcher why the Canucks went after Raty and Beauvillier. I can see the argument for Raty, but Romanov was a better choice to get over Beauvillier. Figure out what they needed to do to make it work for both sides.
Beauvillier is what the Canucks accepted to make this work.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Of course Canucks are f***ed. They just lost their best player for magic beans.
Their best player is Elias Pettersson.

The Canucks should have guaranteed themselves at least a top 6 prospect, they didnt do that and for that I think this trade is underwhelming.

Best thing that can happen is that NYI sucks this year and the pick slides to next and they suck next year even worse. Otherwise I just don't see it.

I think Rutherford was worried the market would be diluted and settled for a less than optimal deal in favour of dealing at the deadline with so many big names out there and fewer buyers.
This draft is unusually strong and deep in round one. The pick will be a player likely to be a top four D or top six F with proper development.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad