Pre-Game Talk: NYI/PP morning tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I am pretty sure Adams deserves some PP with how great he's looked on Crosby's wing.:laugh:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It's like someone is listening to our prayers.
That or Jacques Martin.
By this time next week Adams will be a healthy scratch.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Love both of those tweets.

Not only is it great to see them stick with Bennett (even though they'll likely find a way to only play him ~10 minutes) but it's refreshing to see some tangible evidence that they are finally coming around to the fact that Letang is miserable on the powerplay.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Somebody must have some very embarrassing pictures of Bylsma for these changes to be happening. :D

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I hope this is just "message sending" to Letang. He has consistently been a much better PP point producer than Martin, but I realize his results this year leaves a lot to be desired. To go to this long term would not be very wise IMO.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Letang's a good player. He just isn't a PP QB. He really isn't a great trigger guy either since he refuses to one time the puck 99% of the time. He belongs on the 2nd unit. Glad to see the Pens may finally be realizing that.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd like Beau to get some top PP shifts too but I don't see a fit on the top unit. I really don't want him taking a beating in front of the net or playing that net front role. He's a skill guy. I think he's kind of wasted in that role.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Ugh...I get sick every time I see that number attached to him. Insane amount

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm fine with Letang staying on the 2nd unit, long term. Maybe he figures out the mysteries of the powerplay, someday. Who knows. In the meantime, with Crosby, Malkin, Neal and Kunitz up front... all that Martin/Letang needs to do is essentially help set the table. Smart, well-paced passes in the right place, quick decisions, intelligent positioning and simply getting the puck on net (even if it's just a soft wrister) when it makes sense to do that.

One is capable of that (though not exactly ideal). One seems incapable.

Letang is a great player who can contribute in lots of other ways. I thought he was a driving force behind the team's 5 on 5 offense, last game. But he's just not a powerplay player... I don't care what his point totals say.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Martin on the PP means less chances against too. I have no problems with that. I wonder if Maatta is off the 2nd PP now? I hope not. He's shown the best ability of any of our defenders to get hard shots through, and on net.

Maybe JMartin is getting a little more comfortable and is exerting more influence, because these recent changes are out of character for us.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Only bad thing having Martin on PP full time is hes going to start racking up the points, it will be harder for the pens to sign him, i could easily see Martin next contract being something like 4 years 28-30 million.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
The only problem with Martin on the PP is that there is no RH shot and it means that we are down to hoping for ludicrous snipes like the Crosby one at Washington for the left wall not to be more or less defaulted ice.

Then again, I do like the signal quite a lot. Letang needs a gut check like that.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The only problem with Martin on the PP is that there is no RH shot and it means that we are down to hoping for ludicrous snipes like the Crosby one at Washington for the left wall not to be more or less defaulted ice.

Then again, I do like the signal quite a lot. Letang needs a gut check like that.

That's true, TR.

But it doesn't really seem like the Penguins use handedness much in their overall powerplay scheme, anyway. Letang's right handedness does often present opportunities for plays that wouldn't be there were he left handed. But it doesn't seem to be anything that is actively planned.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Glad Letang is off that first unit, since last year it's simply not working with him back there. I prefer Martin, he doesn't hesitate as much with the puck

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Tanger's never had a great shot. Definitely not an overpowering one-timer like Chara, or the precise accurate shot of a Gonchar. But his real weakness on that unit is that he can't distribute the puck from that side of the ice. His passes aren't good enough for Malkin or Crosby to get quick one-timers to the net.

IMO Letang's best asset is his skating and mobility. He uses that to great effect on the rush or by pinching in on offense. The PP QB is mostly immobile, so it doesn't play to his strength at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad