Pre-Game Talk: NYI/PP morning tweets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
What about Letang? you can't compare those contracts because they were signed under the old CBA.

Letang was also set to be a 27 UFA defender who just finished 2nd in Norris voting despite missing a quarter of the season. That has even less in common with the pre-2012 deals.

Martin is going to be 34 next time he's up for a deal...the raise he gets is entirely contract length dependent...if the Penguins offer him a deal that takes him up to 39 years of age he's not getting a penny more than he's getting now, there's way too big of a risk with the cap recapture deal now. Yeah, he could get a $6 million a year deal for 2 years, but what is going to give you more financial security for your post-hockey life? 5 years/$25 million guaranteed or 2 years/$12 million and a question mark?

Martin isn't an offensive defenseman, he's a two-way defenseman. Even if he was a 29 year-old UFA again under the current system he wouldn't be getting a Letang/Karlsson/Subban-type deal because he's never put up the offensive numbers those two have. Martin's 6 goals last year tied a career high and he's only hit the 35 point plateau once (37 in the offense-heavy 2005-06 season).

Last edited:

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I still think that our best option is to give Sid and Geno their own PP units. But, barring that, putting Martin on the top PP shows that they're at trying to make improvements.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
I'm ready to trade Letang. Love the guy, but **** paying a guy $7.25MM to play on the 2nd PP unit / 2nd D pairing and generally be a defensive liability.

Like seriously. And I always like to stay positive regarding our team.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'm ready to trade Letang. Love the guy, but **** paying a guy $7.25MM to play on the 2nd PP unit / 2nd D pairing and generally be a defensive liability.

He ain't making the huge money yet. He's still a good value for this year at 3.5m. Hopefully he gets his head out of his ass by next season or better yet sometime this season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not the biggest Letang fan, but he's an ES monster. That's why we paid him the big money. B/c when he's on, he can move the puck out of his end better than any other D-man in the league. I'd wait to see how he looks with Scuds before calling him out just yet.

I've accepted he's not the smartest hockey player. He'll never be a PP QB. And he's going to make mistakes at inopportune times.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Fair or not, the highest paid dmen will be those that put up elite offensive numbers. Martin doesn't have that ability nor is he the all around package that Suter is. He won't be making over 6mil.

He shouldn't, but he might. All it takes is one GM.

If we offered Martin the same deal he got before, he'd take it IMO. Maybe a slight raise. He gets his contract that'll take him until he's 39 while playing on a contender through its prime years.

That would be ridiculous and needless. We have d-men coming for a reason. There are plenty of candidates to replace Paul Martin: Maatta, Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington, Pouliot.

Why are we spending precious cap space to keep another defenseman again? Oh right, because we're the Nashville Penguins. Come on.
:shakehead

Uh, what? Have you watched his passing on the PP? It's a minus, not a plus. The only thing he has going for him over Martin is the right-handed shot. He just doesn't have the brain for the powerplay.

He's still a threat because of his skill, so defenses need to respect him. His presence opens things up elsewhere.

It's not complicated. Letang has more offensive skill than Martin, so he should be on the first unit.

Murdoc27

Aug 14, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA

He ain't making the huge money yet. He's still a good value for this year at 3.5m. Hopefully he gets his head out of his ass by next season or better yet sometime this season.

I'm in the middle with both of you. I wanted him traded in the offseason, not extended but thats in the past. If he still is playing this way by the deadline, I wish they would trade him to free cap space for next year while getting Forward prospects and a more consistant D-man(maybe high picks for the draft). I just can't believe they are giving a D-man who plays like I winger half the time $7.25 mil starting next year. Dumb move by Shero IMO.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'm not the biggest Letang fan, but he's an ES monster. That's why we paid him the big money. B/c when he's on, he can move the puck out of his end better than any other D-man in the league. I'd wait to see how he looks with Scuds before calling him out just yet.

I've accepted he's not the smartest hockey player. He'll never be a PP QB. And he's going to make mistakes at inopportune times.
I can understand those that are frustrated by him this season but I completely agree with your post.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That would be ridiculous and needless. We have d-men coming for a reason. There are plenty of candidates to replace Paul Martin: Maatta, Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington, Pouliot.

Why are we spending precious cap space to keep another defenseman again? Oh right, because we're the Nashville Penguins. Come on.

I think Despres and Maatta can replace Orpik's minutes next year. If we haven't re-signed Martin this time next year and those two are looking like studs for us eating up big minutes, then maybe you can move on from him. Maybe.

But we don't need to get rid of Martin's contract to be set up nicely capwise. We'll have all of our expensive pieces signed while the cap goes up and up.

Having Martin, Scuderi and Letang, and filling in from there is the route I'd take.

But I'm of the opinion we're one top 6 winger away from being set up longterm up front. Leave Bennett on Sid's RW. Find a winger for Geno's LW. Move Dupuis down with Sutter, and fill in from there in free agency and with guys like Megna and Gibbons.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
He shouldn't, but he might. All it takes is one GM.

He's still a threat because of his skill, so defenses need to respect him. His presence opens things up elsewhere.

It's not complicated. Letang has more offensive skill than Martin, so he should be on the first unit.

The only place he could be on the first unit is left wall. he cannot be directing the pp nor he could ever be responsible for the offensive zone entrance. His only contribution would be a threat of RH shot which we need. So have him there, Martin left/center point, Geno right point sliding to right wall and Sid and Neal moving around. Neal and Tanger to be substituted with someone like Kunitz (hope we can get better) as a net presence,

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

The power play isn't just "put your 5 most talented players on the ice." You gotta find the right mix, the right chemistry. If you've got one guy who's not on the same page as the others (as is the case with Letang so often), then the whole operation suffers as a result.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I said when Letang signed the new contract that the one thing i didnt like, is that i dont see him as a future 1st PP player. I dont think a player who dont play in all situations should be paid 7+.

As someone said tho. hes a BEAST offensively in 5v5 where he can just use his speed and join the rush. I think whats holding him back from being good on the PP are playmaking skills in tight. Hes better in full flight so to say.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Letang's contract doesn't kick in a till next year. He's only played a few games this year. Maybe we can all sit tight and wait to analyze his contract by the trade deadline next year?

Jacques Martin isn't going to be able to advance his game over night. It's going to take time. He has all the skill in the world. Let's see if he can grow his potential, while minimizing his stupid mistakes.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The power play isn't just "put your 5 most talented players on the ice." You gotta find the right mix, the right chemistry. If you've got one guy who's not on the same page as the others (as is the case with Letang so often), then the whole operation suffers as a result.

I would agree with this assessment. Let him use his skill to run the 2nd PP.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well I'm sorry that his salary is what it is (and... splitting hairs... but he isn't paid that, yet)... but it has no bearing on whether or not he stinks on the powerplay. Which he does.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
We don't really have a 2nd PP unit. They get MAYBE 30 seconds. It's pretty useless to his a $7 million player in that role.

Well you happen to think his talent makes the PP better. I think his lack of poise and passing ability on the PP makes it worse. I don't really care how much money he makes.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Who's gonna work the front of the net in this scenario?

I don't see Kunitz as this irreplaceable net front guy. He rotates out quite a bit and leaves Neal to take care of screens.

I'd have Neal sit in front of the net and slot area.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
I don't see Kunitz as this irreplaceable net front guy. He rotates out quite a bit and leaves Neal to take care of screens.

I'd have Neal sit in front of the net and slot area.

I'd rather leave Kunitz in front to take the crosschecks and chop at the puck and leave Neal to float around for an open shot.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Well I'm sorry that his salary is what it is (and... splitting hairs... but he isn't paid that, yet)... but it has no bearing on whether or not he stinks on the powerplay. Which he does.

Well you happen to think his talent makes the PP better. I think his lack of poise and passing ability on the PP makes it worse. I don't really care how much money he makes.

Until we find a right-handed skilled player, OR until we start trusting Beau Bennett, Letang is the best option.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yeah, Kunitz has to be one of the worst 'net front presences' in the league :laugh:

I think we'd benefit more from having Beau out there and Sid/Neal rotating in front of the net then we currently do with whatever Kunitz does there.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Yeah, I'm not quite sure why Kunitz is considered irreplaceable on that top unit. He's not even good at being the net front presence. He's not a garbage goal scorer, he's not a nuisance for the goalie, and he doesn't really crash the crease all that much on the PP.

I'd rather have Bennett play on the left half boards, Sid from the goal line to the right half boards, Geno from the right half boards to the right point, Neal from the front of the net to the slot, and Martin/Letang manning the center of the ice at the point.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... that's my ideal setup, as well. That's a lot to expect of Bennett, honestly. Though I imagine he'd be just fine.

I don't hate Kunitz on the powerplay. But he doesn't really do anything to distinguish himself, either. He's a pretty damned good shooter but he's, like... the fourth option as far as that goes. And as mentioned... he isn't exactly a terror in front of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad