Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] PA Parenteau (1 year, $1.25M)

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You literally can't go wrong with this move, if you're the Islanders. He's on a prove yourself deal and if he produces, it's huge. If not, you dump him. There's no almost no risk and a chance for a big reward.

Smart signing by Snow.

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
The theme of this offseason seems to 'Succession'. Okposo, Nilesen, and Martin had their chance and now it's time for the next wave to take over. Nelson, Lee, Cizikas, and Strome need to step up.

Nelson, zeekie and lee are all done growing up. They may have some growth left, but they are pretty much what they'll be. Strome interests me. The sky's the limit for him. Now it's up to him. If he reaches his potential, we're in great shape!

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Liked the effort he brought last year to Toronto.

Would have loved to have him back but would much rather have the spots go to Marner, Brown and Nylander so all the best to PAP.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Like the player. Don't think he's the right fit for our 1st line. Don't think he'll score 20 either. But at 1.25mil....who cares!?!

Great pick up!

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Worked with Tavares once, worth a shot again at that low price. Considering Okposo is gone now.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
We have Hamonic, Boychuk, and Pulock on the right side, all are about 6'2"/6'3".

Do you play on a club with 21 defensemen? :D

Forwards are important on the defensive side as well. They are your primary possession players in the neutral zone. If other teams can penetrate your blueline with ease on one side no matter what line you stick out there it is going to be our well known weakness and it will get exploited.

Captain Timo

Dec 4, 2015
Honestly a really underrated part of his game is his ability in the shootout. He can snatch a few extra points with that ability on it's own.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
:laugh:

If Patrick Maroon can put up 14 points in 16 games trying to keep up with McDavid I'm pretty sure Lucic will be a 60+ point player quite easily this season. At worst he's playing softer minutes on a line with Draisaitl and Puljujarvi
Let's not pretend that Lucic was playing with Bums in LA. Parenteau will likely play with Tavares, so it wouldn't exactly be a shock to see him score more. Quite easily put up 60 + is what's really laughable. You're severely over rating what Lucic is capable of. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire the last 2 years. McDavid can only do so much.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Let's not pretend that Lucic was playing with Bums in LA. Parenteau will likely play with Tavares, so it wouldn't exactly be a shock to see him score more. Quite easily put up 60 + is what's really laughable. You're severely over rating what Lucic is capable of. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire the last 2 years. McDavid can only do so much.
So Parenteau hasnt come anywhere close to 60 points in 4 years but I'm severely overrating Lucic? :laugh: Okay dude :laugh:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
So Parenteau hasnt come anywhere close to 60 points in 4 years but I'm severely overrating Lucic? :laugh: Okay dude :laugh:

Let's just ignore games played I guess? It is convenient to leave that part out for you. Lucic put up 44 and 55 points in the last 2 years playing on a cup contender. If you think he'll "easily" be a 60 point player, you're delusional and yes, overrating his ability. Parenteau has a history with Tavares, Lucic doesn't with McDavid. But hey, if you wanna live in rainbow land where the best case scenario is always the reality, go for it.

Otto91

Aug 13, 2006
PaP ....Has More Chemistry With JT then Okposo ever did! Okposo is not a playmaker he is a shooter where Pap is a Playmaker first! JT is not a true playmaking center he is the shooter so he needs play making wingers to set him up1 JT has been playing the game mostly be himself the last few years.

Watch Pap who should of got more then 1.25 mill out score Okposo 6 Mill.

Islanders truly have a better team even though Frans and Martin will be missed

If Islanders could dump Bailey and get another true right winger we could have something very special here.:handclap:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Honestly a really underrated part of his game is his ability in the shootout. He can snatch a few extra points with that ability on it's own.

They lost Nielsen and Okposo, two of the best.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Nelson, zeekie and lee are all done growing up. They may have some growth left, but they are pretty much what they'll be. Strome interests me. The sky's the limit for him. Now it's up to him. If he reaches his potential, we're in great shape!

I think you're gonna be surprised with Cizikas. A year from now, folks are gonna be saying where did this guy come from. I'm predicting 20 goals and elite D and PK play.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Is this the first time a free agent left the islanders, then came back to them again as a free agent?

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Great signing by the Islanders. Parenteau is one of the more underrated players in the league IMO.

Solid possession stats and can finish. Give him Okposo's old spot on Tavares' RW, some top PP minutes and I could see him putting up career highs in goals/points.

It's getting harder not to adopt the Isles as a second team with all their former Leafs.

...And just wait until they add JVR. :naughty:

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
In a league where average players get millions of dollars when they hit UFA, how is it a 15-20 goal scorer can only get a 1 year deal for 1.25M? And why didn't the Leafs want to keep him for that price or a little more?

He's certainly not any type of long-term answer for Tavares' wing, but there's zero downside to having a player like PAP as a forward for one year at that price.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Can anyone answer these 2 questions:

Why didn't Toronto resign him? And what does their not signing him say about his perceived cost/return ratio? Did Lamoriello, Babcock, and friends let a good one slip through their fingers? I am really having a hard time believing that.

Last edited:

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Can anyone answer these 2 questions:
him
Why didn't Toronto resign him? And what does their not signing say about his perceived cost/return ratio? Did Lamoriello, Babcock, and friends let a good one slip through their fingers? I am really having a hard time believing that.

Even though the Leafs are a bad team they simply don't have the room. Even bad teams can have too many players. I'm sure the Leafs would gladly take him over say, Lupul, Greening, or even Laich who they value as a character guy. But the Leafs are anchored by those players...no one will take them. Then you have Matthews and Nylander who weren't on the team last year but all but guaranteed a spot...then tough decisions to make with players like Marner (who only has NHL or OHL), and Leivo (who is NHL or waivers). Then you have players like Hyman, Soshnikov, and Brown who all received lots of time at the end of the year and are pushing for a spot that doesn't even exist. That's also excluding Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Kadri, Martin, Michalek, Holland, etc.

So right there that is 17 players to fill only 12 forward spots. And I'm still probably forgetting a player or two.

We're not trying to fill roster spots. We're actually trying to create them. Yes, we're not anchored down with too many good players, we're anchored down with too many bad players. And while PAP would be welcomed back he's not good enough that to force our hand to make rash moves to create a spot that doesn't exist at all.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Why didn't you keep him at such a tiny cost no less? Maybe he isn't perfect? You have some solid hockey minds in management. It is hard to think they forgot about him.

His role has suitable replacements that are ready to show their stuff so keeping him would only hold somebody else back.
I will give him credit for rounding out his game after the 20-25 game mark last season which was something I'd never seen out of him prior. Could be the lack of interest last season touched a nerve and served as a wake up call.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Think Leafs need more sandpaper and that is one of the reasons why they acquire Martin. Martin in and PAP out because they need a balance team.

Now PAP is a shootout move that Isles badly need as few of their current roster player is good on shootout including JT. Eberle if can be acquired is good at that but Isles is no longer trading Hammer and Oilers moved Hall so any chance of getting Eberle is out of the window for good. Do not underestimate the importance of shootout. It can be the difference of where you finish going down the wire unless your PP and 6 on 5 is consistently good enough to allow you to close a game easily. With Isles face-off deficiencies in the D zone they would need to rely on getting some points in shootouts to make the playoff again. Without enough player with good shootout % it will be hard to do exactly that.

Even with this signing I do not think Isles is done this season. Once they are in the season for a couple of months, I think they may make another LW/D/C for RW type of move, depending on how the training camp go and if there is any key early season injuries. There are young under acheived RW in this league they can reasonably target without having to give up their top roster players and top prospects and 1st round picks. They will be busy in Late November or early December again.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad