Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] PA Parenteau (1 year, $1.25M)

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
1 year deal because he wants to pad his stats and get that Sabres money in the off season.

JTRAIN1966

Jul 18, 2012
Imperial, Mo.
Just an FYI....capuano IS stupid. Somehow he gets back to back 100pt seasons despite it.

I didn't know that . The only time i see the Islanders is when they're on NBCSN or the NHL Network . :laugh:

However.......i am sorry you Islanders fans have to deal with that ! But.......at least you guys have Tavares !

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Wasn't one of the main issues with the Islanders last season the lack of consistent secondary scoring? A common complaint that I heard from Isles fans was that Snow relied on the youngsters (Nelson, Lee, Strome) to be that consistent scoring threat, but all three struggled to some extent.

Obviously it's early in the summer and there are deals out there to fix this, but I still think that middle six (Lines 2 and 3) aren't where they need to be in order for the Isles to improve on last season. The Tavares line is fine, and the Cizikas line is very good. But I'm not seeing the middle six that can compete with the best teams in the East.

The regression of Nelson, Lee, Strome was the main reason NYI's secondary scoring dried up last season, so yes.

I also don't like the look of the middle six right now either, but that is how it currently stands today.

PAP who had 120 points in two seasons with Tavares isn't going to be playing on a different line unless another trade or signing is made.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Excellent price, thought he'd get 2-3 years at $2-3 mil/year.

Isles definitely got worse this offseason, though. Okposo, Nielsen, Martin to Ladd, PAP, Chimera is a pretty big downgrade, and they got a lot older too. They may still lose their 1D in a trade, too. Up until now the future has been looking consistently brighter in Brooklyn, but they've started to trend in the wrong direction now IMO.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
The regression of Nelson, Lee, Strome was the main reason NYI's secondary scoring dried up last season, so yes.

I also don't like the look of the middle six right now either, but that is how it currently stands today.

PAP who had 120 points in two seasons with Tavares isn't going to be playing on a different line unless another trade or signing is made.
+1

I hate to do that but you are spot-on with my opinion. This season is defined by the second line's performance. Team could go two rounds with a legitimate second line.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

That's what I figured. A lot of time between now and the actual start of the season (or even the trade deadline) for Snow to do something, but I can see the Isles having the same issues if Snow once again relies on those same guys to be the Isles secondary wave of offense.

The good thing is the Isles aren't really that far away from fixing that. If Snow can unload a bit of salary (either Kulemin or Bailey) and make a trade for one or two proven second line scorers, the young kids can bump back to being more of a third line (or as complimentary players on line two), instead of being relied on as *the* secondary options.

The bad thing is, now that most of those players have been signed in free agency, Snow will have to make a trade and likely give up a prospect or youngster the Isles might be hesitant to part with.

Top line seems set, fourth line seems set. And a mixture of Strome, Lee, Nelson, and Prince are fine in the middle six. Now Snow's just got find 2 more proven scorers to fill out those middle six spots.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I think the change in system to a more defensively sound style didn't help in regards to scoring. Even Tavares numbers took a hit. We went to 4th to 10th in GF, 22nd to 13th in GA. I think the Islanders have to find that happy balance where when you combine both numbers it's no more then 15 total

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Isles definitely got worse this offseason, though. Okposo, Nielsen, Martin to Ladd, PAP, Chimera is a pretty big downgrade, and they got a lot older too. They may still lose their 1D in a trade, too. Up until now the future has been looking consistently brighter in Brooklyn, but they've started to trend in the wrong direction now IMO.

They will also be bringing up some of their highly touted kids. A part of this offseason is the planned opening of spots for Dal Colle, Barzal, and their other prospects to fill.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
That's what I figured. A lot of time between now and the actual start of the season (or even the trade deadline) for Snow to do something, but I can see the Isles having the same issues if Snow once again relies on those same guys to be the Isles secondary wave of offense.

The good thing is the Isles aren't really that far away from fixing that. If Snow can unload a bit of salary (either Kulemin or Bailey) and make a trade for one or two proven second line scorers, the young kids can bump back to being more of a third line (or as complimentary players on line two), instead of being relied on as *the* secondary options.

The bad thing is, now that most of those players have been signed in free agency, Snow will have to make a trade and likely give up a prospect or youngster the Isles might be hesitant to part with.

Top line seems set, fourth line seems set. And a mixture of Strome, Lee, Nelson, and Prince are fine in the middle six. Now Snow's just got find 2 more proven scorers to fill out those middle six spots.

I think a lot hinges on whether Barzal makes the team or not. If he does, NYI has the green light to package Strome/Nelson/Lee with other pieces (likely Dal Colle, 1st/2nd, Bailey, etc.) for a proven top six forward.

Ladd-Tavares-Parenteau

{Lee-Strome-Player X
Lee-Nelson-Player X
Nelson-Strome-Player X
Player X-Nelson-Strome}

<Grabovski-Barzal-Bailey
Grabovski-Barzal-Kulemin
Kulemin-Barzal-Bailey>

Chimera-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

Prince, for me, is the first player out of the pressbox barring a pyscho camp.

Some might disagree with keeping Parenteau on the top line in this scenario, but the key is balancing your lines, not stacking them. Stack them on the powerplay if anything, not at even strength (sans your 'final five minute down a goal' scenarios).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

It's hard to say if they got worse or not yet considering the offseason is not close to being over yet.

If NYI wasn't willing to put Hamonic on the table for Hall, what makes you think they still may lose him in a trade? He's not getting moved, lets close the book on that.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
As a secondary scorer I like it
As the first line RW, I HATE this move

Which one is it? I'm leaning towards hating this move. Isles have made a bunch of lateral moves this summer while getting older. I just don't get it.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Sand paper on the left side, toilet paper on the right. Luckily the opposing clubs never have their best and strongest wings facing our RIGHT side. Oops, derp, Garf-McHerpiederp.
We have Hamonic, Boychuk, and Pulock on the right side, all are about 6'2"/6'3".

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think the change in system to a more defensively sound style didn't help in regards to scoring. Even Tavares numbers took a hit. We went to 4th to 10th in GF, 22nd to 13th in GA. I think the Islanders have to find that happy balance where when you combine both numbers it's no more then 15 total

The tweaks in the "system", whatever they were last year, definitely zapped NYI's speed and possession game, but doesn't qualify as an excuse for Lee/Nelson/Strome for me, especially when your fourth line had a better year than in 2014-2015.

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
Singing a 20 goal scorer for just over a million is a great deal. Most teams should just do their shopping on day 2.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
He was a good soldier for the Leafs. Good luck to him in Brooklyn. Hopefully, it works out for both parties.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada

Too hard to tell what the long term effect for Isles is. This move will give one more year of development for the many talented young players in their cupboard who they do not need to protect in the expansion draft. I think it helps down the road. JHS, Barzal, MDC all have high ceilings but need further development both physically and mentally. They saw the regression in Nelson and Strome and they want to make sure their prospects will not be rushed. As far as trading their 1D (if you mean Hammer), now they have the choice to keep him or trade him should someone in their D prospect group develop beyond their expectation. They do not need to rush and trade anyone this year and have one year to observe how all these prospects play this year in junior, AHL and college. It also given them more time to scout uncovered undrafted UFA somewhere else.

PAP have chemistry with JT so it is not exactly like they are bring in just any other UFA or players who has never play with him to see if that chemistry will work. Remember that top winger Kessel Pens acquired from Toronto last season who did not quite work out well with Crosby but find much better chemistry with Bonino instead? Chemistry is a peculiar thing, it has nothing to do with skill sets.

Isles are finally understanding how important it is to develop their prospects properly. Look at Flyers, they have so many talented D who likely can play in the NHL now. They are taking time to develop them, not rushing any so they can just make playoff again right away and it is paying dividend with Ghost and I can reasonably expect that because what they are doing today they will be a contender down the road, better than Pens, Rags and the Caps and maybe the Isles too.

JT will only stay with Isles for one of 2 following reasons:
1. Chance to win a cup
2. Isles offer him the most money and most term.

They need to save as much cap space (per year) so they will not be outbid by any team in the summer of 2018 because I am sure a lot of teams will be competing for him. The worst thing that can happen to Isles is he walks and return nothing to the team.

Last edited:

Bossy Mike

May 29, 2016
They will also be bringing up some of their highly touted kids. A part of this offseason is the planned opening of spots for Dal Colle, Barzal, and their other prospects to fill.

Yeah. I don't think of this offseason as a loss. I think it's best to look at is an opportunity for the youth.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
That's a great deal for the Isles. You're not gonna find cheaper scoring option. He'll score more than Lucic next year for instance.
:laugh:

That depends whether you actually think Lucic will play on his wing. I don't think they fit together, I'm sure I'm not the only one.
If Patrick Maroon can put up 14 points in 16 games trying to keep up with McDavid I'm pretty sure Lucic will be a 60+ point player quite easily this season. At worst he's playing softer minutes on a line with Draisaitl and Puljujarvi

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Yeah. I don't think of this offseason as a loss. I think it's best to look at is an opportunity for the youth.

The theme of this offseason seems to 'Succession'. Okposo, Nilesen, and Martin had their chance and now it's time for the next wave to take over. Nelson, Lee, Cizikas, and Strome need to step up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad