Staples Twitter: NYI @ OTT Split Squad Rosters

scott99

May 13, 2005
Can we even wait until we see Bailey live before we start bashing him?

I've seen Bailey play 400 games, I don't need any more games to know what I know or think about him. He is what he is, a 3rd line player with little offensive talent.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He has not earned first line duty so why place him there? He does not even go into the dirty areas of the game. Which would mean more wear and tear on JT. No thanks.

Read my posts above. The whole 'earn' this or that is so overrated and played out it's ridiculous. If you can't see that, well, then you really don't know what you're talking about.

Let's talk about the gorilla in the room, Kevin Poulin. Apparently he played an excellent game and has had a good camp. Probably will secure the #1 spot at Bridgeport,but will also should be the first call up in case of injury (please hockey gods, no more goalie injuries).

I read/saw somewhere that he changed his offseason regimen and that seems to have benefited him so far (we both know we're really early here). Maybe he finally pieced it together? I still start him in BP and see how he does.

I've seen Bailey play 400 games, I don't need any more games to know what I know or think about him. He is what he is, a 3rd line player with little offensive talent.

Repeating this over and over again doesn't make it true, especially when the stats disagree with you.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Let's talk about the gorilla in the room, Kevin Poulin. Apparently he played an excellent game and has had a good camp. Probably will secure the #1 spot at Bridgeport,but will also should be the first call up in case of injury (please hockey gods, no more goalie injuries).

Leggio played well too, I don't think Poulin is going to fall into the number one job in Bridgeport.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
By the way, the highlights of the second game are up on IslesTV now.

Bailey had a nice goal on a two on one in which he looked off Grabovski and then ripped one. I'm not ready to write Bailey off yet, I think he can really find consistency in his game with more talent surrounding him.

Also, Halak got hung out to dry on the first Sens goal (team hadn't worked on the PK at the time), and the second Sens goal was an empty netter because Halak got stuck behind the net trying to play the puck. That won't happen again, Halak is big on communication with his defensemen.

LVIsles*

Read my posts above. The whole 'earn' this or that is so overrated and played out it's ridiculous. If you can't see that, well, then you really don't know what you're talking about.

I have read them a million times, everyone has. No one can say a negative thing about him without you spamming the thread.

Disappearing for long stretches as he does is not earning first line status. That is a fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
He had 10 points when he was on the first line at the end of last year, which isn't really most of his 38, but it's a large percentage.

Bailey didn't play on the 3rd line at all last year.

if we take away the last 10 games of the season when Bailey had 10 points in 10 games. He would then have 28 points in 72 games? This does not scream of a high end 2nd line player in the NHL.

Nuch3232

Nov 22, 2013
Long Island
Bailey isnt a top 6 forward on this team. Nelson jumped him and so does Strome. Add in Grabo, Kuli and of course JT and KO.

he is nothing more than a 3rd line player that if we can get some production from, maybe even more, than fantastic.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I don't really feel like Nelson jumped Bailey.

At age 22, Nelson produced at a .36 PPG pace. At age 22 (two years ago during the lockout season), Bailey produced at a .5 PPG pace.

And I don't really care about the fact that Bailey has played in the NHL since he was 19. That does not necessarily mean he should be better, players develop at different rates.

In my opinion, from what I seen, Bailey can produce when given top six minutes with offensively skilled players. We'll see what the Isles coaching staff does, but I wouldn't be surprised, nor upset to see Bailey in a top six role to start the season. I've always seen Nelson as a middle six contributor anyway.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
Let's just remember a lot of users were ready to give up on Okposo too and look what he's turned into.

Maybe Bailey will blossom too, maybe he won't.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I have read them a million times, everyone has. No one can say a negative thing about him without you spamming the thread.

Disappearing for long stretches as he does is not earning first line status. That is a fact.

Tell me how Nelson earned that top wing spot.
When did Strome earn his 2nd line playing time?
Why is Kulemin a shoe in for the 2nd line?
Hasn't Nielsen earned more than Grabovski?

LVIsles*

They did not pull a Houdini for long stretches like Bailey does, and unlike Bailey are willing to go into the dirty areas. Something JT appreciates in players.

“I thought [Grobavski] showed what he is all about on Monday,†Tavares said. “Using his speed, his skill and he’s a smart hockey player. He goes to the dirty areas as well and gets his nose in there. He brings a lot to the table and looking forward to playing with him.â€

http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/preseason-game-day-3-hurricanes-at-islanders-7pm/

You sound desperate. You are not going to change my mind.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They did not pull a Houdini for long stretches like Bailey does, and unlike Bailey are willing to go into the dirty areas. Something JT appreciates in players.

“I thought [Grobavski] showed what he is all about on Monday,†Tavares said. “Using his speed, his skill and he’s a smart hockey player. He goes to the dirty areas as well and gets his nose in there. He brings a lot to the table and looking forward to playing with him.â€

http://islanderspointblank.com/islanders/preseason-game-day-3-hurricanes-at-islanders-7pm/

You sound desperate. You are not going to change my mind.

I didn't ask a single question about Bailey. I asked specific questions about those players and what they earned. Not what they were brought here for or what Tavares thinks about them.

Quotes from Tavares mean nothing. I can compile a whole bunch of quotes from him and the team about how our goaltending or defense wasn't an issue during the year last season. Teammates say nice things about their teammates, unless there is a major issue between them.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

1. Nelson may not have earned a top wing spot, but he was a better hockey player than anyone else who is auditioning for that spot last season, and he has a lot of room to grow into a dynamic winger that JT-KO need.
2. Id say Strome earned his spot on the team last season, when he completely dominated the AHL, and than came up and had some success in the NHL.
3. I think a lot of people just want to give Kulemin a shot next to Grabo, because of the chemistry they had in Toronto.
4. Nielsen has earned more than Grabovski, and he will have more responsibility than Grabo. He may play the third line, but that is because Nielsen is superior defensively, so he will be matched against other teams best lines, while Grabo will be responsible for secondary scoring.

LVIsles*

I didn't ask a single question about Bailey. I asked specific questions about those players and what they earned. Not what they were brought here for or what Tavares thinks about them.

Quotes from Tavares mean nothing. I can compile a whole bunch of quotes from him and the team about how our goaltending or defense wasn't an issue during the year last season. Teammates say nice things about their teammates, unless there is a major issue between them.

I responded. If you do not like my response that is not my problem. Your obsession with Bailey has reached troll like proportions. Seek help man.

Right. JT went into those specifics because he did not mean it. :shakehead

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
1. Nelson may not have earned a top wing spot, but he was a better hockey player than anyone else who is auditioning for that spot last season, and he has a lot of room to grow into a dynamic winger that JT-KO need.
2. Id say Strome earned his spot on the team last season, when he completely dominated the AHL, and than came up and had some success in the NHL.
3. I think a lot of people just want to give Kulemin a shot next to Grabo, because of the chemistry they had in Toronto.
4. Nielsen has earned more than Grabovski, and he will have more responsibility than Grabo. He may play the third line, but that is because Nielsen is superior defensively, so he will be matched against other teams best lines, while Grabo will be responsible for secondary scoring.

This is the exact problem with talking about 'earning' your spot in the lineup.

You just provided three examples of players who didn't 'earn' their spots, but are being given to them (potentially) for chemistry reasons, potential, and a specific role they are good at.

Well, we've found yet another 'hot button' topic like Corsi stats: Josh Bailey

He was a hot button topic before the Corsi debate. Coincidentally, they did overlap a bit as well.

I responded. If you do not like my response that is not my problem. Your obsession with Bailey has reached troll like proportions. Seek help man.

Right. JT went into those specifics because he did not mean it. :shakehead

I didn't bring him, up again, I was discussing players earning their spots. What specifics did JT go into? He's smart, hard working, and fast...wow, that's really specific. He's certainly never said that about any of his other teammates before...:shakehead

LVIsles*

This is the exact problem with talking about 'earning' your spot in the lineup.

You just provided three examples of players who didn't 'earn' their spots, but are being given to them (potentially) for chemistry reasons, potential, and a specific role they are good at.

He was a hot button topic before the Corsi debate. Coincidentally, they did overlap a bit as well.

I didn't bring him up again, I was discussing players earning their spots. What specifics did JT go into? He's smart, hard working, and fast...wow, that's really specific. He's certainly never said that about any of his other teammates before...:shakehead

The obsession and attitude continues. As he does not change a single persons mind. :laugh::laugh:

Show me where JT said Bailey goes into those dirty spots...

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
and the second Sens goal was an empty netter because Halak got stuck behind the net trying to play the puck. That won't happen again, Halak is big on communication with his defensemen.

His D didn't help him much there either. Donovan was all the way up by the top of the circles, and Carkner was chasing the puck behind the net.

BroadwayJay*

I thought the Corsi "debate" was over, and we won.

The Josh Bailey "debate" rages on for eternity.

LVIsles*

Where has Tavares called a player out?

And for the record count me as a person that believes Bailey is a damn useful player.

I did not say call out. I said show me where he praised Bailey for going to into the dirty spots. Why the word games?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The obsession and attitude continues. As he does not change a single persons mind. :laugh::laugh:

Show me where JT said Bailey goes into those dirty spots...

Wrong, again.

Yes, you are right. I'm not saying he was handled well. I also don't think he should be given away for nothing. Not because I think he will blossom into a legitimate top six threat, just I think he is still more valuable to this team than his market value. He's a great option for the third line and I have no problems with him there. iLandHer definitely changed my attitude on him. I was just clearing up a couple things he said while he was trying to paint the picture a little too rosy.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1726377&page=4

I thought the Corsi "debate" was over, and we won.

The Josh Bailey "debate" rages on for eternity.

Well, it will be over this year, one way or another. I hope he has success or we package him for a legit top 4 defender before the end of the season.

I did not say call out. I said show me where he praised Bailey for going to into the dirty spots. Why the word games?

He's illustrating how quotes are just a product of PR 99% of the time.

I did a quick look, don't feel like going through all the videos, so I'll use this one by Frans Nielsen instead of a Tavares quote.

“Josh Bailey probably has the biggest hockey IQ on this team, with the things he does out there,†Frans Nielsen told an Islanders reporter in the locker room. “He does things that nobody else sees. He’s been playing well and the pucks are now going in for him, and it’s just nice to see. He always plays the same way and he works hard.â€
http://thehockeywriters.com/new-york-islanders-more-leaders-than-just-tavares/

Maybe Nielsen's thoughts don't matter though, since he's not a superstar? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad