Confirmed Trade: [NYI/OTT] JG Pageau to Islanders for cond. 2020/21 1st (top 3 protected), 2020 2nd, & cond. 2022 3rd

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I am not saying Pageau was bad. I said a 1 and 2 was overpay and bad for rental Pageau. How is that a slam? For record I said same thing when Winnpeg traded 1 plus for Hayes, and Hayes is now a flyer.
I agree it was an overpay. No Monday morning quarterbacking.
I argued for months before the TDL,not to give up a first for Pags,that this group was not a serious SC contender with or without him.
I wanted him on the isles 3rd line,but not at that price.

This trade is the Hamonic trade in reverse. Isles are the ones overpaying for a good player.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Stone actually did say on 31 thoughts that it was Vegas or bust for him. Whether that’s actually true, who knows. But he did say that’s the only team he wanted to do a sign and trade
Isles reportedly offered slightly less $ then Vegas. Even if the isles offered more,I gotta think between Vegas having no state income taxes and Vegas being Stone's top choice, the isles would have lost out

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Couturier is going to win Selke this year so its not just flyer fans saying he is elite defensively. Pageau is a very nice 3c and you can get away with at 2c. Did he overachieve in free agent year for the money? Maybe but doesn't mean he still isn't very good. But to give sens a 1 2 when send had to trade that day is poor asset management.

6 years is a rental? Shit. I gotta tell my dog he's rented......

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
6 years is a rental? Shit. I gotta tell my dog he's rented......
2 months is.
1) Pre deadline you had to decide if Islanders were going to win this an go for it or stay the course. Flyers too for that matter. I didn't want to overpay for the players going free agent in 2020. And pre deadline there was only 7-8 teams who I thought should overpay and go for it. They were STL, TB, BOS,COL,DAL, PITTS,WASH, and maybe Vegas because Pacific just stinks.I am happy Flyers only spent 4th and 5th round draft picks and didn't overpay.
2)You have to decide if Lou would Pageau have been available July 1? This is the big question.If Colorado would have made the move and resigned Pageau then the case can be made should you give up the 1 and 2. I don't I think I would but ok you can make the case. OK to disagree. If Pageau would have been there July 1 then it is an overpay for making a ONE YEAR RENTAL run this year. Pageau is not the difference this year between Caps and Islanders. And for record I don't think Pageau is difference between Flyers and Lightning/Bruins winner.

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
2 months is.
1) Pre deadline you had to decide if Islanders were going to win this an go for it or stay the course. Flyers too for that matter. I didn't want to overpay for the players going free agent in 2020. And pre deadline there was only 7-8 teams who I thought should overpay and go for it. They were STL, TB, BOS,COL,DAL, PITTS,WASH, and maybe Vegas because Pacific just stinks.I am happy Flyers only spent 4th and 5th round draft picks and didn't overpay.
2)You have to decide if Lou would Pageau have been available July 1? This is the big question.If Colorado would have made the move and resigned Pageau then the case can be made should you give up the 1 and 2. I don't I think I would but ok you can make the case. OK to disagree. If Pageau would have been there July 1 then it is an overpay for making a ONE YEAR RENTAL run this year. Pageau is not the difference this year between Caps and Islanders. And for record I don't think Pageau is difference between Flyers and Lightning/Bruins winner.

I didn't decide anything and pageau is not a rental. I didn't read your off topic rant.

Reactions: branch

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Pageau flat out said that since the Isles gave up so much to get him, he wanted to sign with them long term. Said he felt wanted/valued by the team/Lou and was willing to sign the extension because of it.

Isles wanted to show him that they wanted him badly and got to be the first to talk to him before the floodgates opened on July 1.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I agree it was an overpay. No Monday morning quarterbacking.
I argued for months before the TDL,not to give up a first for Pags,that this group was not a serious SC contender with or without him.
I wanted him on the isles 3rd line,but not at that price.

This trade is the Hamonic trade in reverse. Isles are the ones overpaying for a good player.
Agree 1000000%.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The first was fine. The second makes it a little tough but with the contract I don’t think it’s that bad a price. He’s in his prime and is a good player. It’s not easy to make moves like this in the NHL, to fill a spot with a guy you like in his prime. Between what the Canes did for Trocheck and Skjei, and this move I think we’re seeing a shift in market for a certain kind of player.

Not a star, but solid and fill a needed role while signed with term right in the middle of your prime. These guys don’t move that often so there’s a price. I think Lou was very confident he’d get it done and didn’t view it as a risk.

All three of these moves are better analyzed halfway through next year, when these guys are better integrated into their teams.

At first I cringed at this trade, but now I’m fine with it and I’m not a fan of either team.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Isles are 0-6 since the trade, I mean he looks like a solid player but I think Isles fans were under the impression he was a game changing player who was going to help drive the Islanders meager offense, and I think Pageau was under the impression Islanders were one of these up and coming teams who were going to be a mainstay in the playoffs for the duration of his contract, I am sure he is now getting the picture things look bleak on the Island and the future is even bleaker

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
Isles are 0-6 since the trade, I mean he looks like a solid player but I think Isles fans were under the impression he was a game changing player who was going to help drive the Islanders meager offense, and I think Pageau was under the impression Islanders were one of these up and coming teams who were going to be a mainstay in the playoffs for the duration of his contract, I am sure he is now getting the picture things look bleak on the Island and the future is even bleaker

Take some time off negative nancy.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Anyone who expected him to be a “game changer” needs to have their head examined. He’s a perfect third-line center

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I might be speaking for just myself, but I didn't anticipate him fixing our scoring woes. I pictured him making the team deeper and harder to play against when we can roll Barzal-Nelson-Pageau-Cizikas. Something we haven't been able to do yet.

Reactions: buud

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY

Then those Islanders fans are uninformed idiots. Please point out those who thought Pageau was some offensive juggernaut.

Most Islanders fans knew they were getting a very good defensively sound center, who could win a faceoff when it mattered, and contribute some offense. Pageau was never going to put them over the top. He is a significant piece to solidifying the bottom 6 though.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Bood12

Oct 12, 2016
Anyone who expected him to be a “game changer” needs to have their head examined. He’s a perfect third-line center
based on the crowd reaction from his first game with the PAGEAU PAGEAU chants before he even skated a shift I assure you a good chunk of the crowd expected him to be the offensive play maker this team needed, maybe they looked at his stats saw 22 goals and got hyped up, you do not get that excited over a 3rd line center

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
oh I assure you am THE well informed level-headed Islander fan

Right, speaking for "Isles fans" saying they expected a game-changer in Pageau...

If any Islander fan thought that, they either:
a) Were uninformed of Pageau's play/ability
b) Have far too high expectations (not level-headed)

Riseonfire

Nov 8, 2009
based on the crowd reaction from his first game with the PAGEAU PAGEAU chants before he even skated a shift I assure you a good chunk of the crowd expected him to be the offensive play maker this team needed, maybe they looked at his stats saw 22 goals and got hyped up, you do not get that excited over a 3rd line center

So the fans singing a KNOWN chant for a particular player means that everyone singing thought he was an ELITE player? Like wtf are you on?

You just put words into like, 14 thousand people's mouth. wtf. Log off.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I don't think that 95% of Isles fans felt they were getting a game-changer, they were getting and filling a significant need that's been troubling them for the better part of the last two seasons:

1. Third line center
2. Good at faceoffs
3. Is an effective penalty killer

I think that's what we got and should provide stability moving forward with Barzal, Nelson, Pageau, Czikas. It's not surprise to anyone that the team needs to roll four lines in order to eek out wins, getting Pageau does that.

Fillpula filled it admirably for about 30 games or so and Brassard busted but was ok as a complimentary wing.

I'd love it if someone would trade us a 30g scoring wing (or five). I'd ditch next year's first and a current roster player for that...

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
This one looks like a winwin. Pageau is a pitbull on the pucka dn I bet he fits NYI style perfect.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00