Confirmed Trade: [NYI/OTT] JG Pageau to Islanders for cond. 2020/21 1st (top 3 protected), 2020 2nd, & cond. 2022 3rd

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
That's what I don't get. Even if this is the price for role players... How in the f*** did no team offer more for Mark stone

It seemed that he knew exactly where he wanted to play. No one was moving assets for Stone if they couldn't resign him. There was certainly some back channel communication between Vegas and Stone similar to NYI and Pageau.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Just because Pageau trade is so bad it doesn't make it the norm. Stone is an undervalue but Pageau should have been a 2 3 and not a 1 2 trade.

Why dont you ask an Islanders fan if its a bad trade. Its really not, they signed him for 6 more years and he is leading their team in goals while being one of the best defensive players in the NHL. I find it interesting how Flyers fans are always preaching about how Couturier is more valuable than players that score more than him because he is elite defensively but you guys come in and slam Pageau. The double standard is a little suprising for me to read.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Why dont you ask an Islanders fan if its a bad trade. Its really not, they signed him for 6 more years and he is leading their team in goals while being one of the best defensive players in the NHL. I find it interesting how Flyers fans are always preaching about how Couturier is more valuable than players that score more than him because he is elite defensively but you guys come in and slam Pageau. The double standard is a little suprising for me to read.
I am not saying Pageau was bad. I said a 1 and 2 was overpay and bad for rental Pageau. How is that a slam? For record I said same thing when Winnpeg traded 1 plus for Hayes, and Hayes is now a flyer.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I am not saying Pageau was bad. I said a 1 and 2 was overpay and bad for rental Pageau. How is that a slam? For record I said same thing when Winnpeg traded 1 plus for Hayes, and Hayes is now a flyer.
It wasnt for a rental. You think they didnt have a long term extension planned down to the last cent?

You dont give up what they gave without having the player all but signed.

That said, it looks great for Ottawa too - thank goodness.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Couturier is going to win Selke this year so its not just flyer fans saying he is elite defensively. Pageau is a very nice 3c and you can get away with at 2c. Did he overachieve in free agent year for the money? Maybe but doesn't mean he still isn't very good. But to give sens a 1 2 when send had to trade that day is poor asset management.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
It wasnt for a rental. You think they didnt have a long term extension planned down to the last cent?

I think the Senators had to trade that day he was a rental to them. And I have doubts anyone else was offering a 1.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think the Senators had to trade that day he was a rental to them. And I have doubts anyone else was offering a 1.
Again though, this was to avoid to uncertainty of him becoming a ufa etc. I'm sure Ottawa allowed them to talk and when he agreed to the terms, it became a 1st and 2nd instead of 2nd plus prospect or whatever.

Wonderful for Ottawa that Lou loves the player, that much is certain.

Edit...I guess I can see the point. Acquire him and then sign him without talking to him first.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Couturier is going to win Selke this year so its not just flyer fans saying he is elite defensively. Pageau is a very nice 3c and you can get away with at 2c. Did he overachieve in free agent year for the money? Maybe but doesn't mean he still isn't very good. But to give sens a 1 2 when send had to trade that day is poor asset management.

Again with the double standard.... I never said Couturier wasnt elite....... Elite defensive players bring value and its not only exclusive to Couturier. Do you follow? They signed him for a 6 year extension clearly that came into play with what the compensation was that was sent the other way to Ottawa.

No substantiated proof just your opinion of a player you arent familiar with. Ok got it.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

From Ottawa point of view they got out every drop of the orange and good for them. Your owner might be a creep but your gm did a 5 star job. Pageau is fine player. Just the cost for everything was on high side including picks and length on contract. I would say same with Greene trade. Not a bad player. Just 2 for him cost is on the high side.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Again with the double standard.... I never said Couturier wasnt elite....... Elite defensive players bring value and its not only exclusive to Couturier. Do you follow? They signed him for a 6 year extension clearly that came into play with what the compensation was that was sent the other way to Ottawa.

No substantiated proof just your opinion of a player you arent familiar with. Ok got it.
Putting Couts and Pageau in same sentence is like putting Ovie and Strome in same sentence and saying they are elite scorers this year. Pag is a nice player. I think isles overpaid. We disagree. so be it.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
Putting Couts and Pageau in same sentence is like putting Ovie and Strome in same sentence and saying they are elite scorers this year. Pag is a nice player. I think isles overpaid. We disagree. so be it.

If they knew they had a good chance at signing him I think it's a fine payment.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I never understand why teams pay the moon for these role players, and it seems to go in waves. There was awhile when Boyle/Gaustad/Murray/etc. where garnering a 1st/multiple 2nds for their intangibles and every time the team acquiring the player wouldn't be any better for it. GMs seemed to catch on and their value diminished, but this year it's starting all over again. Pageau for a 1st+, Coleman/Goodrow for 1st+.

I get there's potential holes to fill, but the price of Coleman was only a bit less than Mark Stone, that's insane.

It's the Lou special.

Brassard, Pageau, Plekanec, Boyle...

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Teams wouldn't trade for Stone sans an extension.

Oh for sure but considering Vegas is newish in the league I doubt stone said Vegas or bust. In fact with the teams that were in on a stone deal up to the last minute I'm sure they would only be negotiating up to that point with an extension/extension negotiations being part of the deal.

Even if stone was asking a bit more from other teams (if you want to factor taxes into it) I still don't get how stone got so little considering the value and skillet he brings

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
he is leading their team in goals while being one of the best defensive players in the NHL......
Considering that 22 of his 24 goals were scored while he played for Ottawa, your first point is meaningless. He has 2 goals in 6 games with Long Island......all while sporting an ever so impressive minus 6.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Oh for sure but considering Vegas is newish in the league I doubt stone said Vegas or bust. In fact with the teams that were in on a stone deal up to the last minute I'm sure they would only be negotiating up to that point with an extension/extension negotiations being part of the deal.

Even if stone was asking a bit more from other teams (if you want to factor taxes into it) I still don't get how stone got so little considering the value and skillet he brings

Stone actually did say on 31 thoughts that it was Vegas or bust for him. Whether that’s actually true, who knows. But he did say that’s the only team he wanted to do a sign and trade

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Well he has only scored 2 of those for the Islanders...

Reactions: Merrrlin

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
He is going to be top 4 or 5 in ice time out of the forwards on your team he isnt a bottom 6 player. In the 100+ games he has now played in the top 6 he is scoring at a 50+ point pace. Most people simply arent familiar with Pageau thats the real issue.

If Pageau is the 4th/5th best forward on the team, that team isn't going anywhere unless they're insanely deep everywhere else.

Plenty of Senators have had career years the past few years because they get fed prime minutes and play a looser system. Pageau is a 40 point center having a career year and he's still an elite 3rd liner, but if he's your permanent #2C it's an issue. It's no different than Duchene, Dzingel, Stone, etc. all having career years before going back to their career norms after being traded again.

I would love to have Pageau on my team and I understand he's a heart and soul guy with talent, but he isn't going to get the same opportunity or minutes he was getting with the Senators, simply because there are better players than him.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The price for him was fine. They knew they were signing him Lets nor pretend that he's the reason they're in a slump.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If Pageau is the 4th/5th best forward on the team, that team isn't going anywhere unless they're insanely deep everywhere else.

Plenty of Senators have had career years the past few years because they get fed prime minutes and play a looser system. Pageau is a 40 point center having a career year and he's still an elite 3rd liner, but if he's your permanent #2C it's an issue. It's no different than Duchene, Dzingel, Stone, etc. all having career years before going back to their career norms after being traded again.

I would love to have Pageau on my team and I understand he's a heart and soul guy with talent, but he isn't going to get the same opportunity or minutes he was getting with the Senators, simply because there are better players than him.
Again unfamiliar with the player. He plays your first pk and second pp. While matching up against the teams best players. He is one of the best defenisve forwards in hockey. He is playing that much on just about any team. AGAIN he has played top 6 minutes for iver 100 games his ppg is just under .7 you can keep repeating that he is a 40 point player but its simply not the case if given the proper opportunity. He was used in a third line role so often because he can carry a line of scrubs to play meaningful minutes.

Stone is a star and is scoring at a higher ppg since leaving Ottawa. Youre out of your element on this one.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
From Ottawa point of view they got out every drop of the orange and good for them. Your owner might be a creep but your gm did a 5 star job. Pageau is fine player. Just the cost for everything was on high side including picks and length on contract. I would say same with Greene trade. Not a bad player. Just 2 for him cost is on the high side.
You know that Pageau just turned 27 right?!....

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Its really not the same, nor did i suggest that youre just a blind homer that struggles with reading comprehension.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00