Confirmed Trade: [NYI/OTT] JG Pageau to Islanders for cond. 2020/21 1st (top 3 protected), 2020 2nd, & cond. 2022 3rd

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Pageau is getting over 19 minutes per game with the Isles, plays both PK and PP, so i think BT is happy with him. i am too.

thought it was overpay for him, but it was the going rate. all the teams overpay sometimes, and obviously the big market teams have a better chance.

given the reasonable extension, i'm ok with it.

Reactions: LTIR

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Again unfamiliar with the player. He plays your first pk and second pp. While matching up against the teams best players. He is one of the best defenisve forwards in hockey. He is playing that much on just about any team. AGAIN he has played top 6 minutes for iver 100 games his ppg is just under .7 you can keep repeating that he is a 40 point player but its simply not the case if given the proper opportunity. He was used in a third line role so often because he can carry a line of scrubs to play meaningful minutes.

Stone is a star and is scoring at a higher ppg since leaving Ottawa. Youre out of your element on this one.

Stone had a higher PPG in his last two seasons with Ottawa as his current two season Vegas, of course if you look at a player when they were developing you can skew stats. You also conveniently ignored Duchene and Dzingel, both who are well below their scoring rates compared to when they were on Ottawa and are much more comparable to Pageau. My point was that players having higher scoring rates on Ottawa, which you decided to nitpick and ignore the main point.

PK is also more about the system than anything, just look at the Oilers who have the #2 PK in the NHL. Unless you want to tell me that Sheahan and Archibald are two of the best defensive forwards in the game. As for shutting down other teams top players that's fine and dandy, but i'd much rather have a Krejci/Malkin/Schenn/Kuznetsov/Richards as my #2C than Pageau, maybe that's just me... along with every other stanley cup winner in the last decade, outside of Chicago who was the exception because they were able to insulate a below average #2C like Anisimov with the likes of Hossa/Saad/Sharp/Kane/etc.

My point remains, Pageau is not a #2C you win the cup with unless you are insanely deep in any other position.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Pageau is a curse on the Isles I guess. They still haven’t won a game since they acquired him. Must be the new Matt Duchene.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Pageau is a curse on the Isles I guess. They still haven’t won a game since they acquired him. Must be the new Matt Duchene.

haha yea I’m starting to think that too. They had the bad call on the lee goal against the rangers which would have game them the win. the bad goal this past weekend vrs Carolina that gave them the loss. They have outplayed their last three opponents, had 115 shots in that span and came out with losses in each. Islanders haters can cry all they want but they have had some bad luck since he came around for sure.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The more losses make this trade potentially worse by the day picks 24 and 56 ehh I don't but if you do its all good. If it ends up pick 14 and 46 for JGP that is too much.

hockeyguru

Sep 10, 2019
it's funny to see how the isles have really struggled to win games since getting this guy. hasn't feel like too long ago when they were flying high, vying with the caps for number 1 in the league.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
it's funny to see how the isles have really struggled to win games since getting this guy. hasn't feel like too long ago when they were flying high, vying with the caps for number 1 in the league.
I mean that hasn't been the case since November. Don't the Islanders have one of the worst records since the end of November?

Can't really say its a shock that they are falling back to reality after they finally stopped getting .930sv% from both of their goaltenders.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Possibly this break gives him some time to transition to the Isles smoothly. If and when the NHL returns, I hope he takes on more of a leadership role to help stop the slide. I would imagine that would be difficult to speak up when you are brand new to a team and trying to adjust. I still like the move and am sort of okay with the cost. Now they just need to find consistent wingers for him and roll 4 lines and play Trotz hockey.
Still amazed on how tight the Metro is and I have to tip my hat to the Flyers, Rangers, Blue Jackets. PS. I hate giving the Rangers any credit

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With the Islanders win today, the first round pick is officially the 2020 first round pick.
Same with the AZ and NJ trade. NJ gets the AZ 2020 first. Still 2 series where the first rounders for Van and Tor is unknown who owns it this season.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This is a rare trade where I think the majority of hfboards posters can all agree that both teams got what they wanted, and there is no real winner or loser.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Hmm...Pageau has 5 points in 6 games with a 60% FO% playing with Brassard and Komarov, playing on the PK and PP. Looks like a good fit once he got acclimated.
love the faceoff work he brings,but c'mon. Let's not pretend that 1 of those 3 goals wasn't an empty netter,in a 5-1 win.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Empty net goals matter. See: Toronto-CBJ game 4.
Pags gets total kudos for scoring the 1st goal, in game 1 against the panthers.
But, let's not pretend that scoring the 5th goal ,with less then 3 mins left in a 5-1 win is the same.

teams rarely comeback from 3 goals down, with less then 3 mins in the game like we saw in that Toronto vs Columbus game. game by 3 goals with under 4:00 left but rally to tie

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
Isles are 0-6 since the trade, I mean he looks like a solid player but I think Isles fans were under the impression he was a game changing player who was going to help drive the Islanders meager offense, and I think Pageau was under the impression Islanders were one of these up and coming teams who were going to be a mainstay in the playoffs for the duration of his contract, I am sure he is now getting the picture things look bleak on the Island and the future is even bleaker
this didn't age well....

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Pags gets total kudos for scoring the 1st goal, in game 1 against the panthers.
But, let's not pretend that scoring the 5th goal ,with less then 3 mins left in a 5-1 win is the same.

teams rarely comeback from 3 goals down, with less then 3 mins in the game like we saw in that Toronto vs Columbus game. game by 3 goals with under 4:00 left but rally to tie

Ok take away the goal then I guess. He’s still been great and well worth the cost.

Reactions: SI90 and CupHolders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad