Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
My dream scenario:

The Sabres draft first, followed by the Islanders, who keep their pick, followed by the Oliers.

We then trade down to number three for Edmonton's first rounder in 2015 so they can select Ekblad.

:handclap:

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
How deep is next year's draft? Like would 15-16 next year be better than 5-6 this year? Because if the Islanders defer I can't see them getting much higher than 15-16 next year, seems that would be the worst case scenario.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
How deep is next year's draft? Like would 15-16 next year be better than 5-6 this year? Because if the Islanders defer I can't see them getting much higher than 15-16 next year, seems that would be the worst case scenario.
I wouldn't go that far, but as of this date the 2015 draft is looking pretty dynamic, all the way through the 1st. I say as of this date because things can and will change dramatically for kids that age, but there are some impressive, highly skilled guys projecting out. I'll have a better feel for some of them in a few months, but for purposes of this discussion, I'm 100% rooting for an Isle tank and them gifting us 2015. I'll take my chances, when we'll have three 1st rounders. That is potentially huge!

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Looking towards next season...Outside of massively overpaying someone on the UFA market does anyone see the Islanders team not finishing in the leagues bottom 10? Is Strome or any other prospect going to be good enough to make this a playoff team? I don't see it happening...

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Looking towards next season...Outside of massively overpaying someone on the UFA market does anyone see the Islanders team not finishing in the leagues bottom 10? Is Strome or any other prospect going to be good enough to make this a playoff team? I don't see it happening...

They will for sure be top 10 and maybe even worse when JT forces a trade.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
They could surprise us like last season. With a little luck (less injuries), progression from their new young Dman, and a good goaltender.

On the downside. When is Snow going to find a goalie? So many changed hands at the deadline but Snow didn't address his needs.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

If Strome and DeHaan each take a jump, Griffin Reinhart is as predicted, Tavares comes back healthy and Okposo proves that this year isn't a fluke.........

If the Isles get a solid, reliable goalie, I could see them being on the fringe of the playoff race until the end.

Right now, I'd say their "most likely" finish is with the 7th-10th pick in the 2015 draft.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
If Strome and DeHaan each take a jump, Griffin Reinhart is as predicted, Tavares comes back healthy and Okposo proves that this year isn't a fluke.........

If the Isles get a solid, reliable goalie, I could see them being on the fringe of the playoff race until the end.

Right now, I'd say their "most likely" finish is with the 7th-10th pick in the 2015 draft.

Good points...

I wonder if last season was a 82 game full schedule if the Islanders would have come back down to earth. It would provide us with a better measuring stick in which to determine if last year was a fluke, or if this year is just a down year.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I could see them keeping their pick this year and being a bubble team next year. That would suck. I don't see how they couldn't compete for a playoff spot next season given they don't get into the same injury trouble they did this year.

If the Islanders get a top 5 pick they're definitely keeping it. Even if McDavid is in the next draft, I highly doubt that with a healthy Tavares on the team they're going to finish dead last. They do have someee skill guys around him too...not enough obviously but a few guys that can do some what well.

The x-factor in my mind is how much longer Snow is the GM - it would seem from nearly every account that he's botched so many personnel and roster decisions that he'd be on his last rope but then again, the owner loves him and isn't the most rational either.

If Snow were for some reason fired this summer and replaced with a new GM who is aggressive and eager to fix things (a la what Murray is doing), the Isles would presumably be better next season.

If Snow stays on, continues to ignore his team's obvious needs and they just tread water with offseason moves, I could see them being next season exactly where they are now.

Anyone know the date of the 2014 draft lottery?

Thought I read April 14th.

NHL Live said it was April 14th.

Garth Snow said that was the date in a SportsNet Radio 590 interview the other day: Garth Snow On Decision To Ship Thomas Vanek

Along with confirming that in interview he gave on NHL Live this past Thursday, Snow said that they aren't committed to keeping this year's 1st round pick even if it is in the top 10. He acknowledged what the hosts pointed out about next year's draft being deeper and stronger than this year's.

Of course, if he has any fears about his job security and wants to bury the ignomity of the botched Vanek trade, he may keep this year's 1st rounder just to save face now and hope he can generate some positive hype over whomever they select (especially if it's a top 3 pick).

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
From what Murray's said (and Black even said when Regier was around), the Sabres could also package the Isles' pick for either a high pick next year in the stronger draft or for one of those elite young forwards/prospects Murray said he'd target.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I think we are all hoping the Islander defer until 2015 right? I dont see any scenario they are better than a bottom 8 finish next season and the top 7-8 picks are going to be very good hockey players. Hell even to just have another pick in the lottery is better odds than not having one regardless of the odds. I want Darcy's legacy to go down as the trade that netted the Sabres McDavid and Eichel when we are hoisting the Cup in 2018

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I think we are all hoping the Islander defer until 2015 right? I dont see any scenario they are better than a bottom 8 finish next season and the top 7-8 picks are going to be very good hockey players. Hell even to just have another pick in the lottery is better odds than not having one regardless of the odds. I want Darcy's legacy to go down as the trade that netted the Sabres McDavid and Eichel when we are hoisting the Cup in 2018

Yeah...though, the more I think about it, I think if I was Snow (and knew my job was safe for another three seasons) I would defer this years pick if it is not a top 3 pick. Next year does not look like it is going to be any better and I'm not sure what UFA's they could convince to come to that horror show this summer who could radically turn things around...The question becomes,

Is the 4-9th pick in 2014 worth more or less than a 5-12th pick in 2015?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yeah...though, the more I think about it, I think if I was Snow (and knew my job was safe for another three seasons) I would defer this years pick if it is not a top 3 pick. Next year does not look like it is going to be any better and I'm not sure what UFA's they could convince to come to that horror show this summer who could radically turn things around...The question becomes,

Dont forget the pick in 2015 is unprotected so them finishing 5-12 also has the chance in winning the lottery.

UFA pool will be difficult. The saving grace is that they do have JT.

The feeling they will have to get someone by trades.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo

Less. In 15, from 5-12 you'll have guys like Barzal, Strome, Kylington, Zacha, Konecny, etc. I would grade them a step above who you could get at 4-9 in 14

Player '14 | Edge | Player '15
Reinhart|<<<|McDavid
Bennett|<<<|Eichel
Ekblad|<<|Hanifin
Dal Colle|<<|Strome
Draisaitl|<|Barzal
Ritchie|<<<|Kylington
Ehlers|=|Zacha
Perlini|=<|Konecny

ZeroPT*

Would anyone consider trading NYI 1st for a proven young scorer? (as part of a package of course)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Why not? If we could use the Isles pick to get a guy like E.Kane I'd be down

Id be open if it was a 2014 pick and not the 2015 pick ..but then I'd be against bringing in talent for the upcoming season.

I think we have plenty of time to make such moves..I'd rather see how things shake out in next two drafts before making big moves like this. After 2015 draft we'll have plenty of ammo to make these types of moves if we even need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad