NYI holds the 5th pick; June 1st drop-dead date on conditional 1st – Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I'm a fan of the New York Islanders being a really bad team, both this year and next.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
I could see them keeping their pick this year and being a bubble team next year. That would suck. I don't see how they couldn't compete for a playoff spot next season given they don't get into the same injury trouble they did this year.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
If this scenario happens:

1. BUffalo
2. Edmonton
3. NY Islamders (give pick to Buffalo)

I would have no problem taking Ekblad at #1 and then one of the Sam's at #3.

I would then force Edmonton to make a deal w/Buffalo where they flip picks and give us something. then at #2 &#3 take both Sams.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
I could see them keeping their pick this year and being a bubble team next year. That would suck. I don't see how they couldn't compete for a playoff spot next season given they don't get into the same injury trouble they did this year.

IMO they are going to rely on their youth for depth, and in some key positions like on D. Also, 47 goaltenders moved on the deadline, and not one went to the Island.

I think in 2 years they'll be competing, as they have good young talent coming up and on the roster, but I could see next year being another donkey show.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What I was getting at in the last part was if buffalo would target a team whohas hopes of taking that next step to the playoffs in 2015 bu offering them players and get back an unprotected 2015 pick which if they fail could be a lottery winner.

This is what happened in the Tornto-Boston Kessel trade.

Teh seaosn before Toronto was something like a point out of the playoffs and they felt they were missing that one goal scorer and the team should make the playoffs. the made the trade of 2 1sts+ 2nd thinking the 2 1sts should be playoff team 1st (18-22 range) --not 2 top 10 picks.

i want to find who next years Toronto team will be and target them for a trade to get their 2015 1st.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
IMO they are going to rely on their youth for depth, and in some key positions like on D. Also, 47 goaltenders moved on the deadline, and not one went to the Island.

I think in 2 years they'll be competing, as they have good young talent coming up and on the roster, but I could see next year being another donkey show.

This is where the risk is....

---where will they get talent to come and sign with them as UFAs?

--what sort of trades could they make?

---how bad is JTs injury.

Does snow want to give up a top 10 pick in a weaker draft only to see Buffalo get their pick next year which turns into a top 3 pick in a deep draft.

As i said before about snow...

If its a top 3 he keeps, if its 7-10 he gives Buffalo the pick. He is on the fence if its 4-6.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
What I was getting at in the last part was if buffalo would target a team whohas hopes of taking that next step to the playoffs in 2015 bu offering them players and get back an unprotected 2015 pick which if they fail could be a lottery winner.

This is what happened in the Tornto-Boston Kessel trade.

Teh seaosn before Toronto was something like a point out of the playoffs and they felt they were missing that one goal scorer and the team should make the playoffs. the made the trade of 2 1sts+ 2nd thinking the 2 1sts should be playoff team 1st (18-22 range) --not 2 top 10 picks.

i want to find who next years Toronto team will be and target them for a trade to get their 2015 1st.

Who are we trading? Myers? Ehrhoff?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

1. BUffalo
2. Edmonton

I would then force Edmonton to make a deal w/Buffalo where they flip picks and give us something. then at #2  take both Sams.

Myers and maybe a little something to Edmonton for 2 and then the Sabres get all 3 elite guys this year.

Now that would be worth not getting the Isles pick in 2015.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

1. BUffalo
2. Edmonton

I would then force Edmonton to make a deal w/Buffalo where they flip picks and give us something. then at #2 take both Sams.

I would be thrilled with Ehlers at #5 or #6. A real possibility in that slot.
But i do like your thought process.

Karate Johnson*

I feel bad for them, it sucks having an owner like Wang, but until we get their first rounder, I have to root for them to be bad. :(

They have multiple cups and have picked in the top 5 like 6 of the last 7 years. I don't feel bad for any other fans, particularly the Isles.

I hope they are bad this, next and every other year.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The Isles are not giving up a top 3 pick. Zero chance they do. You don't pass on Reinhart, Ekblad or Bennett just because McDavid is in the next draft.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
The Isles are not giving up a top 3 pick. Zero chance they do. You don't pass on Reinhart, Ekblad or Bennett just because McDavid is in the next draft.

I don't think they would, but if they did it wouldn't be just about McDavid. 2015 has 5 guys who could conceivably be 1st-overall types, though not in that draft of course.

Last edited:

Ron C.

Sponsor
Jun 16, 2002
Amherst, NY
Visit site

I agree. The dilemma wil be picks 4-5. DalColle and Draisaitl (potentially Ritchie) are next. I expect the Islanders to keep a top 3 pick. The Islanders will be bad next year. IMO, worse than the Sabres, even though we may try to be bad. I want Snow to defer to 2015. An additional shot at McDavid, Eichel, Barzal and Strome will be worth the roll of the dice.

ZeroPT*

I can see the Isles giving us the pick if it's at #4/5 and Ekblad is (obviously) off the board

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
My best guess

1st: Keep
2nd: Keep
3rd: Keep
4th: 85% Chance Keep
5th: 60% Chance Keep
6th: 40% Chance Keep
7th: 15% Chance Keep
8th: 10 % Chance Keep

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
If the Islanders get a top 5 pick they're definitely keeping it. Even if McDavid is in the next draft, I highly doubt that with a healthy Tavares on the team they're going to finish dead last. They do have someee skill guys around him too...not enough obviously but a few guys that can do some what well.

I just don't see them picking in the top 2-3 the following year - even though I'm reallyyyyyy hoping for it and they move the pick to 2015 and select 2014 as their own.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Islanders blow a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period to lose the game against Calgary. The Flames passed them in the standings with 3 games in hand.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Islanders blow a 2 goal lead in the 3rd period to lose the game against Calgary. The Flames passed them in the standings with 3 games in hand.

:laugh:

NYI sitting 4th worse.

Much better for the tank! FLA is only 2 pts behind them now and I can see FLA winning more than NYI in the remaining games.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
:laugh:

NYI sitting 4th worse.

Much better for the tank! FLA is only 2 pts behind them now and I can see FLA winning more than NYI in the remaining games.

The Islanders getting worse merely increases the chance they defer to next Draft.

I know people are dreaming of having two top 3 picks this summer, but that's not going to happen. If the Isles have a top 3 pick they are not giving it to Buffalo. No chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad