Confirmed Trade: [NYI/DET] Nick Leddy for Richard Panik (@50%) and 2021 2nd round pick

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
At first glance, Detroit wins this.

But when you factor in everything it's a win-win trade.

A high 2nd and Panik feels like a cheap price to pay but at the same time that's the equivalent of a 1 st basically.

In a flat cap world, I understand the move from Islanders perspective.

But Detroit got the better player, no doubt.

Damn, Leddy is already 30... time flies by.

I wouldn't call the 52nd pick a "high 2nd" exactly, but I agree it's a win-win.

Leddy is exactly the player the Wings need on D, and in all likelihood gets dealt for a pick (2nd?) at the deadline. I love this for the Wings. Seems Isles fans are happy too.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I wouldn't exactly call the 52nd pick a "high 2nd" exactly, but I agree it's a win-win.

Leddy is exactly the player the Wings need on D, and in all likelihood gets dealt for a pick (2nd?) at the deadline. I love this for the Wings. Seems Isles fans are happy too.
Oh, my bad. I thought it was Detroit's 2nd rounder. Who's 2nd rounder did you trade?

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Oh, my bad. I thought it was Detroit's 2nd rounder. Who's 2nd rounder did you trade?
The Wings had three 2nd round picks for this draft before this trade. They traded the Oiler's 2nd round pick (acquired in the Athanasiou trade last year) to the Islanders in the Leddy deal yesterday.

The Wings still own their own 2nd as well as the Rangers 2nd (acquired in the Marc Staal deal).

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
The Wings had three 2nd round picks for this draft before this trade. They traded the Oiler's 2nd round pick (acquired in the Athanasiou trade last year) to the Islanders in the Leddy deal yesterday.

The Wings still own their own 2nd as well as the Rangers 2nd (acquired in the Marc Staal deal).
Ah yes, how is Cyclops doing for you guys? /Rangers fan

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So why not lose him for nothing instead? Wouldn't that have cleared more cap space? Serious question

Serious answer:
Allowing Seattle to take Leddy (which is not necessarily a guarantee to begin with) over trading with Detroit doesn’t really save a significant more amount cap space.

NYI will likely bury Panik in the minors and since Detroit retained 50% of Panik’s cap hit NYI will be able to bury all but 250k of his cap hit.

To guarantee shedding Leddy’s cap hit for a 2nd round pick (keep him mind Lamoriello has traded high picks every deadline he’s been here so he needs to recoup picks somewhere) for 250K of cap in return is excellent work by Lamoriello.

Hell, Panik may end up being a potential depth option under a Barrt Trotz’ scheme as well.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Ah yes, how is Cyclops doing for you guys? /Rangers fan
Honestly, he was pretty solid for the Wings, which obviously isn't saying much considering their D. There have been rumblings of re-signing him to a cheap 1 year, but I dunno if the Leddy move changes that.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Honestly, he was pretty solid for the Wings, which obviously isn't saying much considering their D. There have been rumblings of re-signing him to a cheap 1 year, but I dunno if the Leddy move changes that.
Nice to hear. Staal is a stand up guy, it's too bad his own brother injured him, he was never the same after that hit.

Yeah, I could see that. Use him as a vet D seems like a smart way to go, even with Leddy on the team.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
They got a 2nd and 3.8 mil off the books. Makes you wonder if they are going for tarasenko

Probably not. The Isles are hard pressed against the cap, they aren't in the position to go and roll the dice on a $7.5M question mark, unless of course Ladd and possibly something else is heading to St. Louis.

This trade seemed like a necessity for the Isles. I'm honestly a bit surprised that they were willing to take on Panik and half of his cap hit in return. I feel like the Wings could've done better here value wise but it's a trade that benefits both teams for sure.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Probably not. The Isles are hard pressed against the cap, they aren't in the position to go and roll the dice on a $7.5M question mark, unless of course Ladd and possibly something else is heading to St. Louis.

This trade seemed like a necessity for the Isles. I'm honestly a bit surprised that they were willing to take on Panik and half of his cap hit in return. I feel like the Wings could've done better here value wise but it's a trade that benefits both teams for sure.
3.8 free is not bad. Also here Eberle rumors of Kinga or Seattle

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Isles gain $4.1m in cap space with this Leddy trade. Add that to the $5.5m in space they had+ Boychuk's $6m LTIR and they have enough to sign their 3 rfas. I have no problem with Panik at 50%.

Gotta wait and see who Seattle takes in the expansion draft...cough* Eberle*

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Isles gain $4.1m in cap space with this Leddy trade. Add that to the $5.5m in space they had+ Boychuk's $6m LTIR and they have enough to sign their 3 rfas. I have no problem with Panik at 50%.

Gotta wait and see who Seattle takes in the expansion draft...cough* Eberle*

I wouldn't actually be surprised if Panik is picked

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
The Capman a giveth and the Capman a taketh away.

Isles landed Leddy because the Hawks were cap crunched and for a prospect from second round. 7 years later they unload him because they are cap crunched and for a second round pick and maybe bottom forward. In between he was one of the best skating dmen in the league for us and a true pro.

Wish him nothing but the best in DET and hope he lands one last good contract. He was one of the turning points for our franchise which makes him easy to pull for.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Serious answer:
Allowing Seattle to take Leddy (which is not necessarily a guarantee to begin with) over trading with Detroit doesn’t really save a significant more amount cap space.

NYI will likely bury Panik in the minors and since Detroit retained 50% of Panik’s cap hit NYI will be able to bury all but 250k of his cap hit.

To guarantee shedding Leddy’s cap hit for a 2nd round pick (keep him mind Lamoriello has traded high picks every deadline he’s been here so he needs to recoup picks somewhere) for 250K of cap in return is excellent work by Lamoriello.

Hell, Panik may end up being a potential depth option under a Barrt Trotz’ scheme as well.

Who are you kidding? You know Panik's going to be riding shotgun on Barzal's line. ;)

Reactions: BKIsles

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Stevie Y playing 4D chess. Leddy to the highest bidder at the TDL for a 1st rounder or couple 2nd rounders or 2nd+3rd

Lou gets 2nd rounder and some cap relief (i think panik will be gone)

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Richard Panik is a really solid defensive player, and fits a lot of what the Islanders are doing. There's zilch there on offense, but the defensive game is solid. With retention, I don't hate that player for the Islanders. Maybe they bury him, but he'd be a fair addition to their team. It's probably the best fit for him in the league.

Last edited:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020
Serious answer:

This trade is a win for both organizations. I like it for both teams.

Panik with 50% of his cap hit owned by Detroit could also be an enticing target to Seattle. Sure, NYI will have better players available but if he's taken in the expansion draft they would only be paying half of his salary. Even if they don't lose him and lose a more high priced forward Panik is still a serviceable 3rd/4th line tweener who plays physical. I liked him in the short time he was in Detroit and honestly would have prefered if it was someone else moving the other way, but it's not heartbreaking to see him go.

Also Leddy moving to Detroit helps the team by giving them a legitimate puckmoving option. He's better than anyone that was on Detroit's 20-21 roster by a fair margin and can slot into the #1 LD spot which is a bonus. He'll probably be paired with Seider as Detroit's top pair and will be a big upgrade on the powerplay from Hronek who I don't think is as good as advertised.

Detroit fans shouldn't cry over the loss of a late 2nd (52 overall) because it's a low percentage spot in the draft, and there's a chance that UFA Leddy will perform at or above expectations which allows for Detroit to trade him for at least a pick of the same value or better in 2022. Barring disaster this is an asset that appreciates in value. Leddy to a contender at the TDL is worth more than Leddy in the offseason.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Yzerman did what he did last year by moving the 2nd round pick in the 40s back to the 50s so that he can get an additional 3rd or 4th. That's how Detroit ended up with Niederbach and Sam Stange.

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

OgeeOgelthorpe

Sparkplug
Feb 29, 2020

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
People ripping this trade have to understand, the Wings need NHL players on their roster. Leddy is a solid NHL defender and a left shot which the Wings desperately need.

More importanly, Detroit needs defensive help and a veteran(like Staal last year) will help some of the younger guys become accustomed.

Plus he can be flipped at the deadline as Leddy has far more value than Staal and opens up another forward spot as Panik was a cash dump by Washington.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Panik clears, saving the isles a teensy amount of cap and giving them a solid call-up option down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad