Confirmed Trade: [NYI/DET] Nick Leddy for Richard Panik (@50%) and 2021 2nd round pick

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
win-win for both teams. Isles got rid of Leddy's cap hit and burying Panik will in practice eliminate all of it. Getting paid a 2nd to do so i shrewd business by Lou.
Yzerman will get his pick back at the deadline and will have fine mentor for Seider for the next next.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
At first glance, Detroit wins this.

But when you factor in everything it's a win-win trade.

A high 2nd and Panik feels like a cheap price to pay but at the same time that's the equivalent of a 1 st basically.

In a flat cap world, I understand the move from Islanders perspective.

But Detroit got the better player, no doubt.

Damn, Leddy is already 30... time flies by.

NoelVilla

Feb 25, 2019
Leddy coming to play with Seider have value in itself for Detroit.
Isles get cap relief and 2nd plus Panik instead of losing Leddy to Kraken.

Good trade for both teams.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
The winner of the trade is Eberle.
He doesn't have to change zip codes because of the trade as NYI fit him under the 7-3-1

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The winner of the trade is Eberle.
He doesn't have to change zip codes because of the trade as NYI fit him under the 7-3-1
If you know anything about Lou’s signings since coming to NY, it’s all bottom 6 forwards. He’d most likely protect Martin and Clutterbuck over Eberle

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
not sure what Yzerman was thinking with this one. Getting a 2nd for Leddy was great value for the Isles

Because Leddy is a good defenseman but on a bad contract that Red Wings can afford. I know leafs fans has a problem understanding being able to afford good defense ;)

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Because Leddy is a good defenseman but on a bad contract that Red Wings can afford. I know leafs fans has a problem understanding being able to afford good defense ;)
And it's not a bad contract anymore.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
At first glance, Detroit wins this.

But when you factor in everything it's a win-win trade.

A high 2nd and Panik feels like a cheap price to pay but at the same time that's the equivalent of a 1 st basically.

In a flat cap world, I understand the move from Islanders perspective.

But Detroit got the better player, no doubt.

Damn, Leddy is already 30... time flies by.
Detroit gave up the 52nd pick, not their own pick. The 52nd pick is in mid to late 2nd round territory.
52--
Jul 16, 2021
New York Islanders Acquire:
new_york_islanders.svg

Richard Pánik ($1,375,000 retained - 50%)
2021 2nd round pick (EDM - #52)
Detroit Red Wings Acquire:
detroit_red_wings.svg

Nick Leddy
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Feb 24, 2020
Detroit Red Wings Acquire:
detroit_red_wings.svg

Sam Gagner ($315,000 retained - 10%)
2020 2nd round pick (EDM - #45 - Brock Faber)
2021 2nd round pick (EDM - #52)
Edmonton
Oilers
Acquire:
edmonton_oilers.svg

Andreas Athanasiou
Ryan Kuffner
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Yeah but now you lose an additional asset to Seattle. We keep hearing "the GMs have learned their lesson from the Vegas expansion draft and won't do dumb trades, they'll just take the hit and lose a player and move on". Jury still out on that idea.

the additional asset is probably the one they want taken in the first place.

JayDog16

Jan 19, 2019
Is that how you define Noah Dobson? Who will likely take Leddy’s place… not saying Leddy will be easily replaced off the bat, but let’s not act like we don’t have people in the pipeline.

I get Dobson has a lot of upside but we still don't know what he is. I'm just saying Leddy brought something to the team I'm not convinced will be immediately replaced.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
what you ' dont get ' is that thee most important aspect for detroit is a solid vet mentor for the very important prospect seider this season , while they then get the 2nd right back at the deadline

and obviously this draft looks weaker than next because this past season barely happened so prospects didnt have the games to raise their stock

And you think free-skating/librarian quiet Nick Leddy is the "vet mentor" you want to have for a young D-prospect? I promise you I'm not the one who doesn't get it.

If having a mentor is your top priority then the Wings would've been better off to trade for Boychuk's contract and let him be their "defensive coach" behind the bench.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Leddy is a okay player but in reality both players are avg. At best. Panick best season was his contract year in chicago, ever notice these players somehow over achieve right when there contract is ready to expire only to cash in and never produce again. Leddy is good offensively but his defense is horrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad