Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Brock Nelson signs with the Islanders (1 year, $4.25M)

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
For some reason I don’t like this deal very much, every time I’ve seen Nelson play he just seems lazy, I love that snapshot of his though

You are not alone.

As I post in every Brock Nelson thread, what happened to the rookie that played a solid two-way game and could contribute offensively? He was using his reach to break up plays, was smart in the neutral zone and both forechecked and backchecked.

Since then he is basically money when given the puck on an odd-man rush (where he can unleash his snapshot) and useless the rest of the time.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
hmmmm I guess I kinda expected this money... he will be a deadline acquisition by someone. He will most definitely be on the top 10 trade list on TV when deadline approaches

I don't mind the guy but he is kinda just a blah type player for me

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
This is a trade bait signing.He gets one year deal to see what he can do under Trotz. If he is having a bad year you can put him on waivers or trade him in a package type deal. If he has a decent to good year you can see what you can get for him.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is a trade bait signing.He gets one year deal to see what he can do under Trotz. If he is having a bad year you can put him on waivers or trade him in a package type deal. If he has a decent to good year you can see what you can get for him.

He's a goner and he will have value. He likely centers Lee and Bailey, essentially taking the #2C spot. Pump up his stats, sell when you can. There will be some takers. The Isles have major cap space flexibility, they can retain salary or even take a cap dump to up the return. Getting a 1st back would be ideal.

Lee and Eberle could be following him out the door too.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
weird that now he goes right to ufa

Lamoriello and Trotz are basically evaluating the entire organization top to bottom, so they weren’t willing to commit to Nelson, who really hasn’t shown enough to deserve a long term deal anyway.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
He's a goner and he will have value. He likely centers Lee and Bailey, essentially taking the #2C spot. Pump up his stats, sell when you can. There will be some takers. The Isles have major cap space flexibility, they can retain salary or even take a cap dump to up the return. Getting a 1st back would be ideal.

Lee and Eberle could be following him out the door too.

I'd be pretty surprised if he gets dealt. If he wants out, that's one thing, but if not Lou would be pretty foolish to trade him.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
So he plays the year out ..... does not get traded at deadline....... N.Y.I. still do not make the playoffs..... and signs on July 1st with a different team....

Same plan as last year for N.Y.I. in 2018/19

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i am surprised. i think he is overpaid, but i don't mind. for now. short term.

he seems to lack heart. he has value, but i would move on from him. put him with Lee and Bailey, and i bet we can get a decent return for him. but i trade him, for sure. the sooner the better, IMO.

it's not like we are going for it, and we have a *few* forwards signed.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
This is what they did with de Haan last year where they sign him to a 1 year deal to send him to ufa. Doubt this ends well.
It is what it is, was unfortunate what happened with de Haan but they did offer him a contract but didn't want to offer him as much as Carolina. Oh well, move on.

They don't want to commit much term/money to Nelson and that's ok. Lets see what happens with Trotz.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Just messing around.

Seriously though when it comes to Nelson he’s consistently inconsistent.

He’s good for his 20 goals a year but he’ll score 8 in 10 games then none the next 15 games.

Lamoriello and Trotz Evaluating everyone.

I'm not going to pretend I know anything about Brock Nelson. Just looked up his stats. Very consistently a 20-20 player who consistently plays 80 games a year and doesn't seem to rack up a ton of penalty minutes either.

But there must be more to the story if almost every Isles fan has no problem letting him walk for free at 27.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I'd be fine if Nelson went, because I think his future on the left wing and we have too many LWingers. I'd like to re-sign Lee and Eberle please.

I'm with you. If you could get both Lee and Eberle for 5/30 you do both. If they want 7+, I'd consider trading them. Lee would be taking a hometown discount and Eberle would be taking a Barzal discount for 5/30.

Regardless, at the deadline if we're out of it (by all accounts we should be) Nelson, Lee and Eberle should be dealt.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
You know we can re-sign our players - right?

You want to re-sign Nelson? I don't. Maximize his usefulness by trading him and recouping futures to help build the team. Eberle can go. I hesitate with parting with Lee, but I trade him after thinking 5 more minutes about it. If Lehner can return us something good, he can go too.

We never got anything for Pajamas, Okposo, Nielsen, and Martin. We got nothing for Parenteau either. We drafted like crap in 2010-2014. When exactly are we going to add more high end talent? Go big or go home, there can be no half way. 3 or 4 1sts would give us a massive talent infusion. We still have our new core of Barzal, Beauvillier, Pulock, Bellows, Wahlstrom, and Dobson.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
You want to re-sign Nelson? I don't. Maximize his usefulness by trading him and recouping futures to help build the team. Eberle can go. I hesitate with parting with Lee, but I trade him after thinking 5 more minutes about it. If Lehner can return us something good, he can go too.

We never got anything for Pajamas, Okposo, Nielsen, and Martin. We got nothing for Parenteau either. We drafted like crap in 2010-2014. When exactly are we going to add more high end talent? Go big or go home, there can be no half way. 3 or 4 1sts would give us a massive talent infusion. We still have our new core of Barzal, Beauvillier, Pulock, Bellows, Wahlstrom, and Dobson.

I think there was some miscommunication here. I bolded Lee in your post but looking back on it now I can see that it's hard to notice it. I want Brock gone if we can get even a sliver of value. LEE is the one I want to keep. If he is open to re-signing I would lock him up as soon as I could.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'm not going to pretend I know anything about Brock Nelson. Just looked up his stats. Very consistently a 20-20 player who consistently plays 80 games a year and doesn't seem to rack up a ton of penalty minutes either.

But there must be more to the story if almost every Isles fan has no problem letting him walk for free at 27.

I think it’s just frustration. The guys got a wicked good snap shot and wrister but barley uses it. He’s not a defensive liability but he’s not a great defensive forward. For a guy who is 6’4 he plays like he’s 5’8. He’s a nice player to have as a 3rd line winger who can fill in on the 2nd line in case of injury.

We’re just so desperate for an upgrade on defense we see Nelson as our most expendable piece that has enough value for another team to want.

If Nelson scored 30 goals I don’t think any isles fan would be surprised.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
hmmmm I guess I kinda expected this money... he will be a deadline acquisition by someone. He will most definitely be on the top 10 trade list on TV when deadline approaches

I don't mind the guy but he is kinda just a blah type player for me
Trade deadline? WFT, A small tender guy to the hard way playoffs.... nobody and I mean nobody will want him! Shame, I know ice hockey. He doesn't do enough good thangs moving into the playoff picture.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Trade deadline? WFT, A small tender guy to the hard way playoffs.... nobody and I mean nobody will want him! Shame, I know ice hockey. He doesn't do enough good thangs moving into the playoff picture.
Nash got a first+ even though they took a bad contract back. Nelson out produced him past three years I think without looking it up. Nash is a playoff bust and it would be fair to say Nelson is too, hasn’t exactly lit it up..

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm with you. If you could get both Lee and Eberle for 5/30 you do both. If they want 7+, I'd consider trading them. Lee would be taking a hometown discount and Eberle would be taking a Barzal discount for 5/30.

Regardless, at the deadline if we're out of it (by all accounts we should be) Nelson, Lee and Eberle should be dealt.
I’m actually a Nelson fan all things considered in the past but we’re at the point where he’s now getting paid, and it needs to justigy his role and impact on the team. Making 2.5 AAV and putting up 20 goals and 40 points I love it even with the inconsistency because the production end of year is constistent and reliable.

4.25? And we don’t know if he’s a center or wing yet? That’s why it’s a one year deal. There’s plenty of fire power now and coming through (maybe not down the middle just yet) that we can see if Trotz can hook him in and find a role and if so we can sign him worthy of the contract and if not we can collect a good price for him.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Nash got a first+ even though they took a bad contract back. Nelson out produced him past three years I think without looking it up. Nash is a playoff bust and it would be fair to say Nelson is too, hasn’t exactly lit it up..
Nash playing his size, two way hockey. Hard time. He one of the best PK players in the world. One of the best defensive wingers in today's game. So yeah, he finna get a fine return like first+. I'm real cool with that. Nash brings that D-game real hard. Nelson doesn't bring anything a sucka needs for the tough playoffs. Nobody will want him at the dead line mark my wise words. I've played the game and coached it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad