Pre-Game Talk: NY Rangers @ Montreal Canadiens, Game 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
It's not just about goals and points

You don't score you don't win.

You have one of the best goaltenders in his generation playing the game.

Take the risk. Load up on risk. Be the *** Houston Rockets and just score.

Or lose because you scored no goals and talk about defensive responsibility and earning spots over the roster from guys less offensively skilled.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
There's nothing untenable about my position.

You can't always control your production, but you can control the way you play and it will usually lead to production.

I don't get why my position is so controversial here...

Yes I want Galchenyuk to be moved up in the lineup by CJ

But I also want Galchenyuk to force his hand and earn it.

His play has to warrant more responsibility.

What I said was untenable was idea that by reliable, you would include scoring. Because that would be untenable. You can't rely on Danault and Shaw to put the puck in the net.

As I explain in my other reply to you, I want CJ to move him up the lineup because it's simply the best decision to make. I want my coach to make the best decisions. Not wait on them to prove a point.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
It shouldn't be on the 4th line no...And when his game warrants him moving up, CJ should move him up.

Or if the Habs go down 1 goal today, he should make an adjustment and put aside Galchenyuk risky play because he CAN bring offense when on his game.

Is that fair?

But in that exact scenario last game Chucky was left to rot in the fourth line. That's the real perplexing part, and likely the root of most of the stress lol. Julien is too stubborn to move him. He's on the accountability crutches.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Nobody disputes that he was used there. It's what happened afterwards that didn't make sense.

Players struggle and they slump. That whole line was slumping btw and it hasn't been great with Dannault either. Outside a five game stretch Max has been pretty cold. Should we move him to the 4th too? Radulov hasn't been as good either. Did we move him down the lineup?

What probably should've happened was breaking those two up and spreading the offense out. That would've made sense.

Putting Chuck on the wing didn't help anything. It just made things worse.

can't say I disagree with any of this...

But once more, if Galchenyuk is on the 4th line today, it's HIS fault..HIS play warranted it.

HE let Philip Danault usurp his position, coach didn't do it just for fun.

P.S. - shouldn't be too long before Danault is entering DD criticism territory, called it after DD was traded and it's slowly, but surely creeping into many people's post. Again, so predictable.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
earning spots over the roster from guys less offensively skilled.

It's not even about that. If King would work hard and created things by going in front of the net, paying the price and working hard along the board i could understand. Not necessarily agree but at least understand.

But King has done nothing to warrant a promotion. He has done nothing to earn his spot over AG. King has been one of our worse and most disappointing player since we got him.

I totally laugh a player justifying this by saying we are spreading our offense. Spreading offense in a top 9 is okay. We have seen that often. But from a 4th line it's a first. It has nothing to do with spreading offense. Nothing to do with trusting other guy more than him either. King has done nothing to earn this trust. Nothing at all. Let's say the real things here they send a message to AG. And Sadly now is not the time.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
danault had gone on a stretch of 1 goals and 6 asssists over 26 games playing 17 of them on the top line

but he is good defensively. which is fine. but he didnt merit his spot there during the stretch and he was kept there.

this merit system is the wrong approach.

play the talent more then the less talented players.

and its not like Chcuky is going through a stretch of 25 games and 5 points.

its ridiculous.

fine game one. punich him. great. he was one of the more threatening players on the team.

4 shots 7 shot attempts and playing with 4th liners.

He's too good to be playing there...obviously, he SHOULD stand out.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
But once more, if Galchenyuk is on the 4th line today, it's HIS fault..HIS play warranted it.

HE let Philip Danault usurp his position

Let's go with that.

Is Philip Danault the first and second line centre? No? Then are you saying Plekanec usurped Galchenyuk this season? Or Shaw? Or anyone else?

There's absolutely no credible reason not to play Galchenyuk in the top six, UNLESS every time he stepped on the ice the other team scored. Don't see any evidence of that.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Yes I want Galchenyuk to be moved up in the lineup by CJ

But I also want Galchenyuk to force his hand and earn it.

His play has to warrant more responsibility.

Yes I want King,Plekanec and Gallagher benched or on the 4th line.

But i also want them to play well and earn the ice time they are getting.

Their play warrant less responsibility.

It's not just about dumping the puck.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
can't say I disagree with any of this...

HE let Philip Danault usurp his position, coach didn't do it just for fun.

P.S. - shouldn't be too long before Danault is entering DD criticism territory, called it after DD was traded and it's slowly, but surely creeping into many people's post. Again, so predictable.

Danault is fine......as a third line centre. He's a victim of our weak centre situation. He'll be fine no way he gets the full DD treatment lol.... now Chucky on the other hand is getting the full Subban treatment......... right out of town.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Danault is fine......as a third line centre. He's a victim of our weak centre situation. He'll be fine no way he gets the full DD treatment lol.... now Chucky on the other hand is getting the full Subban treatment......... right out of town.

If he really wants to stay he should play better

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

As it should be. As long as he is not a real 1st center and the management keep him there there should absolutely be criticism.

People who criticized DD said it many time. Most of them had nothing against DD. They had something against his usage by this management.

The players and coaches change but the management remains. And the same mistakes are repeated. This is not a good sign at all going forward.

Like it if you want. But others will voice their opinion against it. Danault is better to get things going in this series or else MB's head will be on the block this summer as it should be.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If he really wants to stay he should play better

He came back early from an injury. He's not 100%. It's pretty clear. He's not 100% and he's never been that good defensively. He'll probably finish his career 10 years from now and still not be a good defensive player.

Instead of the coach putting him in an offensive situation with preferred match-ups until he heals, so he can help give other guys scoring opportunities, he has him playing with bowling pins and trying to "send him a message"

Only message sent is, "Montreal is not for Alex Galchenyuk"

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's not one game. It's been this way for the past 5 years. We don't score goals in playoffs.

People would not worry if we scored goals in playoffs the last 5 years.

Last time we played NYR they won because we did not score goals.

Just reiterate this every time

1.8 GPG under Bergevin when playing the other teams starting goalie.

Score over 2 goals in 30% of games.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

No, it very much is

No, it very much isn't...here's where in your post you acknowledge that (see quoted post below).

Either it makes sense to put Galchenyuk on the 4th or it does not. You may have to take into account many factors, but at the end of that you should come to a decision. Dude has to play somewhere, where's it gonna be?

See those factors you're talking about?

That's what doesn't make it a black or white issue...

If it doesn't make sense to keep him on the 4th line (for whatever combination of reasons), it doesn't much matter how he ended up there in the first place. You take him off the 4th line. Which you seem to agree with. Except you don't think it should be done now, for some reason. There's no time like to present to take sensible action, IMO.

Nowhere in any of my posts did I say that....

Heading into this game, I'm perplexed he hasn't changed his lineup and moved Galchenyuk up.

All I'm saying is I understand WHY he put him there in the first place.

Again, I don't need to be partisan...I'm not Team Julien or Team Galchenyuk, I leave that kind of cheerleading nonsense to others.

I want the player to play up to the level of his talent, something he hasn't done in weeks whether you want to admit it or not.

I don't have to agree with Julien's decisions, but as long as Galchenyuk is playing like he's been playing, he's letting Julien have an excuse for playing him where he has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad