Confirmed with Link: NY Rangers hire Jessica Campbell for Development Camp

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I debated whether or not to give this a separate thread; I didn't see it anywhere on here, so here it is.

Should this be a story, probably not as more and more women are being hired by NHL teams for hockey roles (scouts, player development departments, etc.) and it's a great thing. Hockey, in general, needs new thinking as the sport itself, in some regards, is still stuck in the 1950sand before. She will be the first women hired for this role among the Original Six teams. Will she have a role with the NY Ranger organization after the development camp, I don't know, but the team hiring her would seem to indicate that they envision her working in the organization in a full time role at some point in the near future I wish her well.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
New thinking? Not seeing that. Hockey is constantly changing and adding new things in an attempt to gain advantage. 1980s hockey looks nothing like 1950s. Today's hockey is not the same as 1980s. If she can coach, she can coach. Having the respect of the players is paramount. Like all coaches, that is either earned or lost. Hopefully she is great at whatever she does, but the idea that just because she is a female she will have new thinking about hockey is strange. Her insights about helping players will be based on her ability to analyze those players and see the big picture. Gender doesn't play a role in that.

Her ability to gain the respect of the players will be her challenge. That is already tough enough, but that is where being a female will be an extra burden. If she is good, it will happen. I hope she is a huge benefit to the Rangers.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
This is just for development camp. If it turns into something else, then it's new. If she's here and gone within the 2 week window, it's just a fluff PR piece but good for her. It's a step forward for Jessica either way. little or big step is TBD

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
New thinking? Not seeing that. Hockey is constantly changing and adding new things in an attempt to gain advantage. 1980s hockey looks nothing like 1950s. Today's hockey is not the same as 1980s. If she can coach, she can coach. Having the respect of the players is paramount. Like all coaches, that is either earned or lost. Hopefully she is great at whatever she does, but the idea that just because she is a female she will have new thinking about hockey is strange. Her insights about helping players will be based on her ability to analyze those players and see the big picture. Gender doesn't play a role in that.

Her ability to gain the respect of the players will be her challenge. That is already tough enough, but that is where being a female will be an extra burden. If she is good, it will happen. I hope she is a huge benefit to the Rangers.

There are still elements in hockey, and the people involved in it, that still have a 1950s-esque mentality. This has changed some, but it's still there. The game cannot fully evolve until those elements are gone. She has an accomplished resume, the Rangers saw that and thought she could be a benefit to the organization. Whether this is a "one off" or could this lead her to a more permanent role with the team, tell will tell.

Never said it's a gender issue, there are men that have a newer, more forward looking mentality towards the game. I should've been clearer on that.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
There are still elements in hockey, and the people involved in it, that still have a 1950s-esque mentality. This has changed some, but it's still there. The game cannot fully evolve until those elements are gone. She has an accomplished resume, the Rangers saw that and thought she could be a benefit to the organization. Whether this is a "one off" or could this lead her to a more permanent role with the team, tell will tell.

Never said it's a gender issue, there are men that have a newer, more forward looking mentality towards the game. I should've been clearer on that.
What are the examples of the 1950s-esque mentality?

I would fully hope that the Rangers do nothing more than highlight her experience and qualifications. If they stress the point that it is a woman, you undermine her credibility. Thus far, they have done it well. Hopefully it stays that way.

Reactions: Barnaby and Cmox

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
What are the examples of the 1950s-esque mentality?

I would fully hope that the Rangers do nothing more than highlight her experience and qualifications. If they stress the point that it is a woman, you undermine her credibility. Thus far, they have done it well. Hopefully it stays that way.

I agree that the Rangers should point to her experience/qualifications; I believe that's why she was brought on. To focus on gender would be a disservice to her.

The 1950s mentality is mostly culture inside the game. You can never accuse the NHL of being forward thinkers. This has changed to some degree, but it's still prevalent in some areas. It's still an old-boys network in many regards.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I agree that the Rangers should point to her experience/qualifications; I believe that's why she was brought on. To focus on gender would be a disservice to her.

The 1950s mentality is mostly culture inside the game. You can never accuse the NHL of being forward thinkers. This has changed to some degree, but it's still prevalent in some areas. It's still an old-boys network in many regards.
The old boys network is human nature. Things like that change because change happens. GMs hire the same old coaches because they know them. That is the human side. You see this with employers all the time. Two people come in, one may be better on paper, but the other guy is a known quantity that they can trust to do the job.
The reason European coaches aren't brought in often is a lack of relationship. If you coach overseas you aren't building the network of trust that a GM is potentially putting his job on the line for. For the longest time, there wasn't a tremendous amount of women's hockey. When there was, there was usually a male coach because there hadn't been many female players to turn into coaches. Decades later, there have been many more women players who have turned to coaching. Now there are more options coming available. Jessica's hire probably has a lot to do with her relationship with someone in the org in addition to her resume. We have all known people who have the goods on paper but were a terrible fit at our own places of work. No different in the NHL. It is a relationship network. We are now seeing something that has been slowly growing blossom into possibility. I think it is unfair to just label it old-boys network when forward thinking in a results based job can get you fired fast if your forward thinking will take time to develop or the person just made a wrong choice. GMs will hire goats to coach if they think it will get them championships.

Reactions: Barnaby

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan

A poor ignorant foreigner like me does not know what this is (in Campbell's case, not in general...). Could somebody break it down? What is her area of expertise?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
She played NCAA and for the Canadian national team, played women’s pro, and has been coaching men’s juniors and pro overseas.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Verb. boof (third-person singular simple present boofs, present participle boofing, simple past and past participle boofed) (transitive, slang) To have anal sex with someone, usually as the penetrative partner (possibly with negative connotations).

yeah sooo, I did the exact same thing. xD

Exblain @Machinehead ! Exblain!

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad