Confirmed with Link: NY Rangers hire Jessica Campbell for Development Camp

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Verb. boof (third-person singular simple present boofs, present participle boofing, simple past and past participle boofed) (transitive, slang) To have anal sex with someone, usually as the penetrative partner (possibly with negative connotations).
I thought boofing was when they put alcohol or drugs up their ass to get drunk/high quicker.... yes this is the current state of the world

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
The old boys network is human nature. Things like that change because change happens. GMs hire the same old coaches because they know them. That is the human side. You see this with employers all the time. Two people come in, one may be better on paper, but the other guy is a known quantity that they can trust to do the job.
The reason European coaches aren't brought in often is a lack of relationship. If you coach overseas you aren't building the network of trust that a GM is potentially putting his job on the line for. For the longest time, there wasn't a tremendous amount of women's hockey. When there was, there was usually a male coach because there hadn't been many female players to turn into coaches. Decades later, there have been many more women players who have turned to coaching. Now there are more options coming available. Jessica's hire probably has a lot to do with her relationship with someone in the org in addition to her resume. We have all known people who have the goods on paper but were a terrible fit at our own places of work. No different in the NHL. It is a relationship network. We are now seeing something that has been slowly growing blossom into possibility. I think it is unfair to just label it old-boys network when forward thinking in a results based job can get you fired fast if your forward thinking will take time to develop or the person just made a wrong choice. GMs will hire goats to coach if they think it will get them championships.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, it happens everywhere in all walks of life, though that doesn't make it right. Does she have a connection to someone(s) in the NYR front office, I don't know, though it's likely. She was hired based on her qualifications and that if she knoes someone there was likely an added bonus. If teams thought it would help their team win, they'd hire a kangaroo to coach their team.

People, regardless of gender, with a new and evolved perspective on the game is great. Hopefully the trend continues. The sport, as the rest of us, need to evolve or we'll all fall behind and be left in the dust. Progress has been made, but you never stop learning and evolving.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
MV5BMmQyY2NmMWYtMmUyMS00NDQ4LWE2YmUtMTdjNWM5Y2RlYzI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODY0NzcxNw@@._V1_UY1200_CR792,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Reactions: will1066

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
I don't care if it's a man, woman, white, black, green, orange. Can they do the job effectively, that's what I care about.

This is absolutely true, and the reverse also applies. If we are hiring women (any minority within hockey for that matter) just to become more 'diverse' for woke points, then that is equally as fool hardy and backward. Hire the best person for the job.

Good luck to her, hope she is a cracking coach and this is more than the box ticking nightmare in which society appears to be headed.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
My apologies for bumping this thread, but here is an article on Jessica Campbell in the NY Post written by Mollie Walker, where she speaks of her background and how the opportunity with the NY Rangers came about:

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I love this move. She seems to be focused on skills and skating development. That is a HUGE need amongst our team and our prospects. Specifically the skating. So many of our young core players have space to improve when it comes to their skating - Kakko, Laf, Othmann, Cuylle, Robertson, Pajuniemi, Richards, Trivigno, Edstrom, Rempe, Reuschoff -- the list goes on and on. Barron needed this before he got moved. I am actually shocked we didn't bring on someone sooner that is specific to skating. We've needed a new Barb Underhill for roughly a decade.

I don't know if Campbell will be as effective as Barb was in her short time, but the need for someone with her credentials is there and has been there for a while. I hope she works out and they make her a permanent position. On top of that, I hope they hire more coaches like her.

Reactions: CLW and nsvoyageurs

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
She will be judged on how she can help the prospects. I like it and it has nothing to do with being a progressive hire.

We can all agree: Mark Ciaccio as Skills Coach is the drizzling sh*ts and a new voice in the room/organization is desperately needed.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Welp, there goes this chance to get some real skills and skating development in the Org. Keep up the hard work boys.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I worked with a Jess Campbell back when I used to be a quant on the Latam rates desk. Get the feeling this is someone else entirely.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Hire the best person for the job.

Well that is kinda the entire point. There are guaranteed many, many qualified people that dont typically have jobs in the NHL system because teams have historically hired from one group, as they are the ones involved in the sport to begin with. Its certain that qualified people have been overlooked in the application pile for x reason, its just how the world works.

If anything, hiring qualified minorities and women into more prominet roles simply means that the sport is expanding its horizon outside of the old-timey demographic in a extremely male dominant sport.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Well that is kinda the entire point. There are guaranteed many, many qualified people that dont typically have jobs in the NHL system because teams have historically hired from one group, as they are the ones involved in the sport to begin with. Its certain that qualified people have been overlooked in the application pile for x reason, its just how the world works.

If anything, hiring qualified minorities and women into more prominet roles simply means that the sport is expanding its horizon outside of the old-timey demographic in a extremely male dominant sport.

Yes, I dare say, however, both sides are applicable. You are deliberately chosing to miss my point. If you don't think people are being put into positions to satisfy the woke brigade, who otherwise aren't the most talented person for the job, then I don't know what to tell you. It goes both ways in the wrong direction.

As long as we get the best person for the job, then happy days.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Yes, I dare say, however, both sides are applicable. You are deliberately chosing to miss my point. If you don't think people are being put into positions to satisfy the woke brigade, who otherwise aren't the most talented person for the job, then I don't know what to tell you. It goes both ways in the wrong direction.

As long as we get the best person for the job, then happy days.

I assume you have some examples of this woke brigade hiring scheme since youre so adamant they happen in the NHL front office.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad