Post-Game Talk: NY Rangers @ Bruins - 7:00pm. NESN+ tonite!!

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
I was thinking that last night as well. I fear it will be the same as Paille and Campbell last season. It could be that awkward point when veteran depth player becomes a fringe NHL'er. He likely won't retained beyond this year. What is the upside to having him in the roster?

13th forward flip flopping with Rinaldo? Fine. Does he accept that role out of the gate? Of course he will accept it, but I doubt he's at the point in his career where he's just happy to be in the league. 31 years old. Final year of his contract.

Rinaldo, Kempainen, Ferlin, Randell. I prefer that dimension. Combined with Kelly of course.

4th line: Kelly-Kemp-The Devil Incarnate

13th F: Randell/Ferlin

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
My main observation of this team from last night and the last few nights:

If Max Talbot steals a roster spot from any of these kids, I'm going to be livid. This guy should not be out there. He's donezo. He's a waste of ice space. He'll probably being playing 11 minutes on opening night.

I think he'll be battling with Rinaldo. I fully expect Kelly-Kemp-????? but I'll be surprised if it's a youngin' filling in the question mark, which is fine because I think we've got more skilled guys than muckers knocking on the door.

The one caveat would be a guy like Vatrano or Czarnik or Koko making the 3rd line and pushing Connolly down to L4

Kelly/Kemp/Connolly is expensive but it could be a pretty damn good 4th line.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
My main observation of this team from last night and the last few nights:

If Max Talbot steals a roster spot from any of these kids, I'm going to be livid. This guy should not be out there. He's donezo. He's a waste of ice space. He'll probably being playing 11 minutes on opening night.

True but Hayes and Connolly looks so bad we might need the vets just for the sake of having them around. I'd demote Talbot to PRovidence and see if anyone picks him up.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Waive Talbot --easy come, easy go. We got him for a slug last year... send him back to Chia if he wants him.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
True but Hayes and Connolly looks so bad we might need the vets just for the sake of having them around. I'd demote Talbot to PRovidence and see if anyone picks him up.

I'll give you Connolly has been awful but Hayes has been fine, I don't expect 30 goals from him, he has done his job and is a much better skater than I anticipated.

I still think he should be on the right side of Marchand and Bergeron and Eriksson should be with Spooner and whoever.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Meant to ask last night but forgot - how did Eriksson look with Marchand and Bergeron? I know that line was tried when Loui first got here to mixed results.

That could be the hardest line in the league to play against.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Meant to ask last night but forgot - how did Eriksson look with Marchand and Bergeron? I know that line was tried when Loui first got here to mixed results.

He played with one eye on the 'back door' knowing they were young on D. I keyed on him a few shifts in second and this was my take- he stayed high and played it safe. He played well but his priority leaned towards the defensive side. He made correct decisions with the puck when I was watching extra close. That line overall was strong defensively and imo is in the conversation with the best combo of skill and D in the game

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I liked their start and looked like they had chemistry and would be puck possession beast line, but then it looked like the penalties and Chara injury messed it up but they seemed to find it a bit on the 3rd again.

But they've just started to practice together, something I don't get, there was no reason for Eriksson to play with players who won't make the roster.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Kemp played well last night and was decent on Sunday but I think some people's expectations a bit too high after only seeing him play 2 games in North America.

I really like him but I want to see more.

He sounds like he's going to be a solid player as he adjusts his game and gets more comfortable here.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Kemp played well last night and was decent on Sunday but I think some people's expectations a bit too high after only seeing him play 2 games in North America.

I really like him but I want to see more.

He sounds like he's going to be a solid player as he adjusts his game and gets more comfortable here.

The expectation for him is to be a strong 4th line guy, atleast I hope so.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The expectation for him is to be a strong 4th line guy, atleast I hope so.

I hope so too but it will take time and I think some are jumping the gun a bit and putting his name in pen on the roster before seeing him at least one if not 2 more times.

My fear is that he's rushed and that he has trouble adjusting to the game as we move into the regular season.

Ideally, I'd like to see him go to Providence to start and if he's playing well there, have him called up to stay.

He may be a better option than Talbot but right now, I haven't seen enough to say that for certain right now.

I like his game a lot I just want to be cautious with him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I hope so too but it will take time and I think some are jumping the gun a bit and putting his name in pen on the roster before seeing him at least one if not 2 more times.

My fear is that he's rushed and that he has trouble adjusting to the game as we move into the regular season.

Ideally, I'd like to see him go to Providence to start and if he's playing well there, have him called up to stay.

He may be a better option than Talbot but right now, I haven't seen enough to say that for certain right now.

I like his game a lot I just want to be cautious with him.

I have faith in him and to me he has improved a lot during these 2 games alone.
And clearly Julien trusts him, just looking at how he gets used and Bergeron&Kemps are faceoff beasts which Julien loves as he talked about in the press few days ago.(importance of winning faceoffs).

Also as I've said I feel that he and Kelly can help Rinaldo a lot.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

???? I know Connolly has underwhelmed (if that's a word), but Hayes has been nothing but solid so far IMO.

Extra points to anyone who appreciates the Canadiana

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Harris: New OT format a winner for NHL

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...2015/09/harris_new_ot_format_a_winner_for_nhl

The Bruins and Rangers interrupted the pattern by settling their game last night in a shootout, the B’s winning 4-3. But their overtime was a bit different, as a minor penalty on each team meant you saw 3-on-3, 4-on-3, 3-on-3, 4-on-3 and 4-on-4 play.

There was some confusion among the officials on how to sort things out with the penalties.

“There are things we all can learn from those,†said B’s coach Claude Julien.

“Players like to see the game won or lost with a team perspective,†said Bruins defenseman Torey Krug, of the 3-on-3 format. “You bring it down to 3-on-3, it’s still about individual skill but it’s also a team game where you have to be smart with the puck, execute the X’s and O’s, really strategize. The 3-on-3s are a good combination of all those things, and I think the stats will prove that most games will end before we get to a shootout.

“I just think guys are really happy to see a team be rewarded, as opposed to individual players. When a team suffers at the end just because of what a few individuals (in a shootout) do, that’s tough. It’s nice to have that team structure in overtime.

“I really like it. It’s fast. Some of the games I’ve seen ended really quickly, and that’s what we want as players. I will say, just from practicing it, they’re not easy nights. It’s exhausting. You have to skate a lot; it’s up and down the ice. You have to be really smart.

“It’s exciting and it’s very fast. The players they’re going to put out there will be very quick players.â€

It is certainly more exciting than a shoutout. But it is still a gimmick and not real hockey and shouldn't count as a "real" win for the 1st tie-breaker. Only wins after 60min should count.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I have faith in him and to me he has improved a lot during these 2 games alone.
And clearly Julien trusts him, just looking at how he gets used and Bergeron&Kemps are faceoff beasts which Julien loves as he talked about in the press few days ago.(importance of winning faceoffs).

Also as I've said I feel that he and Kelly can help Rinaldo a lot.

Yea I haven't heard Claude speak that way in a while.

My fear is that as the competition gets tougher he's going to really struggle which is why I'd rather him play in Providence for at least a month to fully adjust to the NA game.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

To me, that line still looked bad. They played much better in the third when Czarnik was put up with PB and BM for a bit. Not a fan of it at all.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yea I haven't heard Claude speak that way in a while.

My fear is that as the competition gets tougher he's going to really struggle which is why I'd rather him play in Providence for at least a month to fully adjust to the NA game.

Atleast he looked strong against the Rangers who iced a strong lineup.
I also don't know if this version of Kemps is worse than Talbots' and Kemps will get better everyday.

But this is something we will know at the end of the camp and he has to earn his spot like everyone else, but I like the start.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan

@bruins_stats: Looking at the numbers today, 63/37/21 line put a total whupping on the Zuccarello/Brassard line and McDonagh D pair last night.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Atleast he looked strong against the Rangers who iced a strong lineup.
I also don't know if this version of Kemps is worse than Talbots' and Kemps will get better everyday.

But this is something we will know at the end of the camp and he has to earn his spot like everyone else, but I like the start.

Agree 100% on all of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad