GDT: NXT TakeOver: Toronto (10th Auguest 2019)

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Welcome to NXT TakeOver: Toronto, the “three stages of poutine” PPV!

CQQEM9Q.jpg

NXT Championship - 2-out-of-3 Falls Match
20190711_NXTTakeoverToronto_Match_ColeGargano_--e6c25af627c9cce193d4a45e3b5e1fcb.jpg

Adam Cole (c) vs Johnny Gargano

The first two falls will be a singles match (chosen by Cole), and a street fight (chosen by Gargano). If the third fall is required, general manager William Regal will pick the third stipulation.

NXT Women’s Championship - Singles Match
20190725_NXTTakeoverToronto_Match_BaszlerMia--7bd7d08a91ae27b6adf6d4f41b010df3.jpg

Shayna Baszler (c) vs Mia Yim

NXT Tag Team Championship - Tag Team Match
20190715_NXTTakeoverToronto_Match_StreetProfitsBobbyKyle--c2fd5a1e7c8084a6771ab395322869e7.jpg

Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford) (c) vs The Undisputed Era (Kyle O’Reilly & Bobby Fish)

WWE North American Championship - Triple Threat Match
20190719_NXTTakeoverToronto_Match_VelveteenDunneStrong--cb28251d663c50e01a5d070eb514f9c7.jpg

Pete Dunne vs Velveteen Dream (c) vs Roderick Strong

Singles Match
20190725_NXTTakeoverToronto_Match_CANiO--a1780893ede4c73830f43d0ca6cd705f.jpg

Candice LeRae vs Io Shirai

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Bro, I'm in the mood for predictions:

- Cole/Gargano III: I'm a bit surprised by the decision to go with another 2/3 falls match for this. It removes a lot from their feud for me doing the same match again, despite it being slightly different. I feel like this is going to underwhelm compared to their other two TO matches, but I'll be glad to be totally wrong. They're good enough to do it.
Winner: Adam Cole (BAY BAY)
Rating: ****

- Baszler/Yim: I don't think many see Yim taking the title, and I'm expecting Shayna to win again, but one has to wonder: given Mia's 2019 push, if not her to take the belt, then what credible faces are left? Candace needs stronger booking to become a title contender, and she shouldn't be going over Io right after the latter's turn. There's no one else until Dakota comes back.
Winner: Shayna Baszler
Rating: ***1/4

- Profits/UE: I do believe we'll see Cole's "draped in gold in 2019" proclamation come true, but I think this isn't the time for UE to take the belts. The Profits have been champs for barely two months at this point. I think there'll be a Profits/UE II before the end of the year where it'll happen. Maybe even as soon as the next Takeover in November-ish. Wargames III? Only monkeywrench in my theory I could see UE winning is if Heyman wants to get the Profits on Raw full-time and have them drop the belts for a full call-up.
Winner: Street Profits
Rating: ****

- Dream/Dunne/Strong: This is the time for Dream to drop it. He's been champ over 6 months, and a triple threat is a great way to pass the belt on, and you have the other two in the match naturally ready and able to continue feuding over the belt, given their history. Strong wins this and UE moves one step closer to winning all the gold. The talent and intensity in this match will make it MotN.
Winner: Roderick Strong
Rating: ****3/4

- Candace/Shirai: I'm frankly interested in this match most of all. Io just turned, so she needs to go over, but Candace needs some strong booking in this match. She's the only other girl with strong face vibes right now outside of Yim. If they get proper time and are allowed to go to their fullest potential, this could be one of the best matches on the card. A big IF though.
Winner: Io's Leather Pants
Rating: ***3/4

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They'd find someone to go with Shayna next if they wanted. The week before the last Takeover, Mia Yim just made taping having already lost to Shayna.

The build to this has maybe been the best one of any of Shayna's matches, they've done a good job of making Mia Yim look like she's just as tough as her. Probably the most familiar opponent to Shayna as well, so I think whatever her best is, we'll get it here.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
When do they announce the third fall? I get a feeling it’s a cage match, but that kind of goes out the window if there’s no cage set up over the ring by show time.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
When do they announce the third fall? I get a feeling it’s a cage match, but that kind of goes out the window if there’s no cage set up over the ring by show time.

I know Ciampa just came back from f***ING NECK SURGERY, but someone had a theory of the third fall being a triple threat.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I know Ciampa just came back from ****ING NECK SURGERY, but someone had a theory of the third fall being a triple threat.
I thought of that too.

WXW did it with Ilja Dragunov's return last year. Walter was challenging for the title, and was allowed to pick the stipulation. Before the match started, he announced that he picks three-way-dance, and Dragunov makes a complete surprise return to a massive reaction (he had retired and vanished from wrestling), link.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Ciampa when he comes back is gonna be a massive face in the Austin mold I can feel it. That’s why Adam cole keeps the belt over Gargano. Cole has to lose it to ciampa;

Strong takes the North American belt off dream and dream moves on to feud with Cole for a bit before ciampa comes back. Strong vs. The bruiserweight

Reactions: Clint Eastwood

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
The man had neck fusion surgery like 4 months ago
Yeah. Ciampa isn't doing it, but you can still use someone else.

I don't think they should waste the idea for the sake of using it, but it's one that I think WWE should make use of when they have the chance. If they've got someone big signed without anyone knowing, it would be a massive debut for them. Injury return is the other obvious use, but that's mostly random.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Wow, the market is something else in Toronto.

Meltzer and Alvarez said there are tickets available for $8 for NXT.

Decided to check seatgeek: $17 is the lowest I find, a seat in the 100s (higher rows) or so for $20-$40.

Stubhub: 766 tickets available, $8.15 in the 300s. Lower bowl around $30 as well in some spots.

Insane.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
3rd stipulation will be 2 out of 3 falls, imo

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
that would be weird. im not sure about beating someone 3 times. (no doubt it would still be fun. but im not sure)

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
The go home show was pretty good even though I was tired as hell and dozed off towards the end. The slipknot song used and the promo videos have me pretty pumped for this show even though I have to watch it the next morning. Wouldn't mind seeing Strong picking up the NA title since we know Dream is going to be getting a shot at the NXT title some time soon.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Tickets are dirt cheap and I am tempted to just grab one for the hell of it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tickets are dirt cheap and I am tempted to just grab one for the hell of it.

I ask again.. why would you not go? What.. 25 takeovers have existed and all of them have been well worth every single penny. This card, again, is awesome.

It drives me nuts because NXT is amazing and yet a chance to let wrestling shine and it's not taken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad