GDT: NXT Takeover: Brooklyn II - August 20, 2016

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Theory Time.

Samoa Joe injury is a work, to set up a rematch at the next takeover, where Joe regains the title and Nakamura heads to the main roster

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Roode's entrance is still amazing on a second viewing.

Edit: I missed the "This is Glorious" chant. Amazing! Graves being a Roode mark is GLORIOUS.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Roode's entrance is still amazing on a second viewing.

Edit: I missed the "This is Glorious" chant. Amazing! Graves being a Roode mark is GLORIOUS.

It happened at least twice.

Roode's entrance was insane.

Just watched the end of Bayley and Asuka and seeing Becky and Sasha's heart break into a million pieces, awesome that they get to come back and be such marks

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Just want to gush over the tag match again

Every time the revival is on a takeover
They steal the show and have arguably the best match of the night

Think I prefer this rivalry with them and Ciampa and Gargano over AA

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
No Way Jose/AA: *** Fun but overall nothing match
Ember Moon/Kay: ** Just a nothing match. Zero heat for this
Roode/Almas: ***1/4 This was fun, and Roode's gimmick and entrance are money.
Revival/DIY: ****3/4 Match of the night. This took legit years off my life. This is what tag team wrestling can be and should be, Revival are amazing and their heeling is the best. I loved this match and might of given it 5 stars if DIY won.
Asuka/Bayley: **** Great match, great story. Bayley's curtain call was extremely emotional. Asuka is the monster that Brock should of been before Suplex City took over.
Nakamura/Joe: ****1/2 Great match, great psychology. Really fun. Great finish. Big fight feel.

Great show overall, excellent tonic for a worn out wrestling fan.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I hope someone among Hunter's contingent realizes that Gargano is a future star

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
- No Way Jose's theme and the crowd chanting No Way Jose always gets stuck in my head for hours after I hear it. That GTS was ****ing awesome. Glad to have Itami back.

- I sorta skipped the first few mins of the Billy Kay match but damn Ember Moon is solid. I don't know about the name but she got some nice moves and that finisher is really friggin good.

- Bobby Roode's entrance was great. His opponent, idk his name put on a pretty great match. I think Roode might need to get a better finisher, that one is a bit crap.

- Poor Mick Foley's son got shafted on camera.

- I don't know what others think, but I thought Nakamura's entrance ****ing sucked. I don't think the violin sounded good, nor was it necessary. I get serious goosebumps and amped off of Nakamura's regular entrance, don't think it needed any tweaking. Kind of ruined it for me. I hate the fans singing along too though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Also standing O for Graves as HHH made it sound like he was done with NXT.

He was once again excellent. I hope he will eventually be allowed to bring what he brings at NXT to RAW at some point.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I kind of wished that they had Asuka hold the title over the girls at ringside. Would've been pretty boss-like.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
My match ratings after just finishing watching it:

AA/Jose: *** - was a pretty good match, honestly thought it could have gone either way at some points. Good win by AA, was needed. but Hideo is BACK!! and that GTS was awesome to see. commentators threw some shade at Punk with the "He invented it" line. LMAO

Ember Moon/Billie Kay: **+1/2 match wasn't overly stellar, and was typical 'debut match' but Ember Moon is really gonna be a star. give her a good storyline path and she could be the next Womens face once some of the current stars go main roster. That top rope jumping 360 stunner was beautiful.

Roode/Ciel: ***1/2 That entrance was just.....GLORIOUS!! He's going to be the next face of NXT soon enough. The crowd singing your theme was awesome. Match itself was pretty good actually. I went from not caring about Ciel to actually thinking he was not too bad. as others have said, if he wasn't fighting Roode, he woulda went over probably. Solid match, though Roode needs a better Finisher. A Pump handle slam? 4 real bruh? kinda weak finisher IMHO. But hey, John Cena made that Fireman's carry slam into 1 of the most devastating moves, maybe Roode can do that to his finisher?

Revival/DIY: ****+1/2 This match was the match to steal the show. This is what tag wrestling SHOULD be. Great maneuvers, tag tactics, false finish, everything was stellar about this match. I literally almost was standing up at all the near falls. woulda been 5 star had DIY won. but when Revival get called up, I hope they utilize them better than the Ascension were. :facepalm:

Asuka/Bayley: **** was a good match, much better than Asuka/Bayley 1. When I saw Bayleys face during her in ring intro her eyes told the story of her loss, so it spoiled the finish for me a bit, you can fake a smile, but your eyes say everything. had some good spots. Was a very much 'slug fest'. but that kick tho. lights out im sorry. Intense Bayley is a good Bayley. Especially when she was screaming to hit her in the face :laugh: In the end, what I saw happened and Asuka won, AND Bayley had a 'send off' with THANK YOU BAYLEY chants so, she's getting called up soon-ish. HOPEFULLY to Smackdown cuz she's needed there so badly. But yeah. solid match.

Joe/Nakamura: ****1/2 this match. wow. first, that violinist performing his theme LIVE. the crowd chanting along. AND THEN Joe comes out like a total BOSS and just commands respect. but this match was very, very much "Hit me with your best shot, and I'll do 1 better" I almost thought the match was over when Joe had the Kokena(sp) clutch in. Shinsuke kicking out of a Muscle Buster, Joe kicks out of 1st Kinshasa. It looked like he might've dislocated/broken his jaw or some teeth with that 1st one good lord. New champ. Shinsuke's a real star. I think Joe's gonna have a rematch soon-ish, lose, then get the call-up a bit after that. But was a great match. the 1 botch move in the corner was noticeable. but other than that solid.

overall: **** just a solid solid card top to bottom with the title matches stealing the show. SS is gonna have another hard time following up the NXT card with their matches.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
In resposne to someone saying jericho even looks like bon jovi in his twitter icon he said "at least i don't look like chumley, you stupid idiot"

:biglaugh:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Can't believe you guys didn't like the main body of the Joe-Nakamura match, I think it was fantastically done from start to finish. Hope Shinsuke has his theme performed by an orchestra in the Mania.
Great show overall. Not sure who's ever going to beat Asuka and Nakamura though.
yo Rumble Johnson just knocked someone out so bad @ UFC 202 that the guy tried wrestling the referee
That awkward moment when Teixeira's a "someone", but yeah, that was really funny.

The Lunatic Fridge

why is my name here?
Aug 20, 2008
New York
They'll probably bring in some fresh woman talent that will challenge asuka.

As for nakamura, the only person with even a shred of credibility left that they'd even consider beating him is Roode. (this is ofc assuming joe is done with NXT)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I wonder if they do a Rhino type challenger for Asuka.

It's been said Melina and WWE were close to a deal a couple weeks back. I wonder if she could do a couple months in NXT before going to the main roster?

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Fantastic show...the title matches were brilliant. The Revival and Asuka winning pretty much sold me on Nakamura winning.

The Revival is a such a good old school heel tag team. DIY is a good rival for them going forward. This isn't going to be their last run in.

Even though Bayley winning would've been a good babyface moment, I like them keeping Asuka strong and that title is that more prestigious. I don't know who the next contender is if Bayley is leaving...which seems pretty obvious that was her NXT swan song.

Nakamura-Joe was fantastic. Joe is such a great athlete as a big man. Nakamura, like Asuka...having an undefeated champ makes the title very important. I'd love a rematch...not convinced Joe gets the call yet. I don't know how he won't be in WWE by the Royal Rumble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad