News Article: NWHL unveil The Toronto 6

heatersthebest

Mar 21, 2006
I actually submitted a couple options for the team name, logo and jersey. Playing more off the Leafs/Toronto colour scheme, the Toronto Shield (thinking of the Canadian Shield area of Ontario) and Toronto Clash (trying to bring some of the Furies idea into it with a name based on a feeling or movement). It was fun to create but kind of seems like a waste when in the article it mentions they went with a firm that they have used before haha.

Also it looks very much like the NHL 75 years.

I will say though that the name kind of fits with some of the more out there team names that already exist in the NWHL like the Riveters (I know there is meaning behind it) and Beauts.

Reactions: uncleben

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I'm not too familiar with the Furies but why does everything Toronto hockey related have to be tied to the Maple Leafs branding? Why can't they have their own identity?

Having said that; sports team branding is always hit and miss. This (the 6) is a miss for me, personally. A bit too contrived for my liking.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Oof. That's not a good name. It what you'd name minor league soccer team or something. I get that they're trying to capitalize on the city's nickname but it just doesn't work. This was the most popular choice after a vote? How was it done? If the votes were split and "Six" just happened to win out that doesn't mean that people who voted for Option A wouldn't have switched to Option B instead of "Six." Furies was such a better name.

I'm also not a fan of what looks like will be a red, black, and gold colour scheme. Colours should mirror the other hockey teams in the city, not TFC or the Raptors.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Well I thought there were 1-2 hundred women not playing , trying for their own league , also the best players
So is this for the rest
And does look like Sens colours, well Ottawa in general
NHL OHL , CFL and baseball teams all sport those colours

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'll say it's a pretty iffy choice. At least the Fantastic Four had superpowers to draw attention from the mediocre team name.

A bad name won't kill them. It just doesn't do them many favors. Wish them the best of luck overall of course.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Terrible logo and colours. What were they thinking going with the Sens colour scheme? Toronto hockey is Blue and White. Plenty of options they could have pursued.

Dropped the ball on this one.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I could get behind the name of the team .. But it feels like they're trying too hard with it

The colours and logo are bad for a Toronto based team though.

Reactions: smitty10

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
1b335edd65d91b695331a39ce278252c

Can we have this instead?

A male bovine for a woman's sport? Meh . . . not so much.
And no, don't go there. :laugh:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I think I figured out what I don't like about this.

I'm fine with the name, and I'm fine with the jersey look, but not both of them together.

"The six", is all hip and modern, and the jersey looks like it's from the early 20th century, and that's just clashing pretty bad for me.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
A male bovine for a woman's sport? Meh . . . not so much.
And no, don't go there. :laugh:

I disagree. Why must the logo perfectly represent the gender? Should the Bovine have utters? What gender was the Atlanta Thrasher? Is the bruin male? Is the Anaheim Duck male?That seems wrong because their logo doesn't seem very vibrant, and most male birds are prettier/more vibrant than the female. What gender is the Colorado Avalanche?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Btw the Toronto Six will be playing with their goalie pulled the entire life of their franchise. Not just a name. It's going to be a new system.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I disagree. Why must the logo perfectly represent the gender? Should the Bovine have utters? What gender was the Atlanta Thrasher? Is the bruin male? Is the Anaheim Duck male?That seems wrong because their logo doesn't seem very vibrant, and most male birds are prettier/more vibrant than the female. What gender is the Colorado Avalanche?
I think you missed his point.

A bull is a male. Having a bull as their logo would be like the Milwaukee Bucks being called the Milwaukee Does and having a picture of a female deer as their logo. Wouldn't make a ton of sense.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I think you missed his point.

A bull is a male. Having a bull as their logo would be like the Milwaukee Bucks being called the Milwaukee Does and having a picture of a female deer as their logo. Wouldn't make a ton of sense.

Is it!!???!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad