News Article: NWHL unveil The Toronto 6

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not a fan of the branding. Feels like a watered down branding for the city of Toronto lifted from Drake lore but I’m not sure if it really speaks to women’s hockey. That colour scheme is also not right for Toronto. Vaguely Raptors but in the hockey world black red white and gold is for the Ottawa Senators.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The name is pretty average but as a hockey fan I'm happy that a major hockey market like Toronto has a women's team that may help encourage girls and women to get involved in hockey

The sport needs to grow and females are a big chunk of the population we don't seem to be appealing to enough imo

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I don't hate it. 6 players aside gives it juuust enough legs. Wouldn't be my first choice tho. Also kind of makes anyone who wanted to wear #6 a little awkward but that's neither here nor there.

I'd like to see hockey be a viable profession available to women so good luck and well wishes to them.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Not a fan of the branding. Feels like a watered down branding for the city of Toronto lifted from Drake lore but I’m not sure if it really speaks to women’s hockey. That colour scheme is also not right for Toronto. Vaguely Raptors but in the hockey world black red white and gold is for the Ottawa Senators.

The Sens make a lot more use of the white. This scheme makes me think vaguely of some of the Canadian Olympic jerseys.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
1b335edd65d91b695331a39ce278252c

Can we have this instead?

Reactions: Nineteen67

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I don't hate it. 6 players aside gives it juuust enough legs. Wouldn't be my first choice tho. Also kind of makes anyone who wanted to wear #6 a little awkward but that's neither here nor there.

I'd like to see hockey be a viable profession available to women so good luck and well wishes to them.

I'm with you. The branding might grow on me, and I hope it does. It's not as terrible as some are suggesting. It isn't great, but it isn't terrible. It's a tough market to sell non-NHL hockey to.

I'm really hoping this team makes an impact. Women's hockey needs visibility, and deserves attention. Not sure when I can go, but I'll find a way to see some games when they start up.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Definitely agree on the team name and logo. I wish they did something more traditional to hockey in Toronto like the Furies had done before them.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I only half knew about this NWHL and have never been on their website until today. I like what I see and The Isobel Cup is a great name for their trophy. I hope the League grows and is successful.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Definitely agree on the team name and logo. I wish they did something more traditional to hockey in Toronto like the Furies had done before them.

I much prefer this theme, however, unbeknownst to me, we actually had the opportunity to vote in name the team poll. It is what it is. There are worse sports names and colour combos in the city, so there is that.

AdamoR61

May 16, 2019
Brutal name, Brutal branding. Hockey in Toronto is not red. Not to mention we traded our first overall pick to Boston as if they don't screw with us enough in mens hockey...

Reactions: PromisedLand

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
One thing to wrap our heads around is that they really aren't marketing to existing NHL fans. They may not even be marketing to existing sports fans. So who knows, this may be appealing to the demographic groups they're attempting to attract.

Am I crazy? I think there's a definite masculine aesthetic to logo and wallpaper. It is not displeasing to my eyes despite not suggesting "Toronto sports" in any way whatsoever.

The name? Derivative of a fading local branding movement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad