Nurse suspended 3 games

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Chalk it up to a learning experience for Nurse. He'll get some much needed time off.

I just hope the team uses it as another us against the world. This team should understand that everyone hates them and thinks they are a joke and the best way to really piss people off is to win and be successful.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Personally I can't wait to continue watching Nurse beat up opposing teams wimpy players [mod]

Agreed.

This time was an unfortunate set of events that shouldn't have happened (And probably wouldn't have if the refs didn't call it as interference when there was none... wtf are you gonna believe if the refs say its dirty) and Nurse is going to take his punishment.

I just hope it doesn't make him think twice about pulling that **** again when it's deserved. I would love to see Nurse go berserk on a guy like that who actually did something dirty.

Last edited by a moderator:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
The league proving once again that it's all about who's involved and if anyone is hurt, not what you actually do. Domi's was worse, and yet Nurse gets 3 times the suspension? Bull****

yeah all you can do it laugh really.... the NHL is a joke of a league for this stuff, always has been, always will be

could care less about the suspension to be honest... would gladly accept such a suspension once a year if it meant this team finally starting to stand up for one another.... well, well, worth it

but again, yeah, the NHL is just SUCH a gong-show when it comes to discipline, just wow, lol

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Agreed.

This time was an unfortunate set of events that shouldn't have happened (And probably wouldn't have if the refs didn't call it as interference when there was none... wtf are you gonna believe if the refs say its dirty) and Nurse is going to take his punishment.

I just hope it doesn't make him think twice about pulling that **** again when it's deserved. I would love to see Nurse go berserk on a guy like that who actually did something dirty.

Except you're wrong. The moment Polak's stick touched Hendi's skate, and he lost his balance because of it, and fell into the boards, it became interference..intentional or not.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think a few factors went into this looking worse than it was.

1) Polak turtling instead of at least dropping the gloves and holding on. Most players in the league know you're going to get 5 minutes there. Defend yourself. You aren't going to gain anything from getting the crap kicked out of you.

2) The blood.

3) The incompetent linesmen that decided that of all fights to stop prematurely, this wasn't one. If they step in when they should have, there's no "aggressor" added on to the incident. I'm sure there would be plenty of "aggressors" being handed out if the linesman just let every fight go like this one did without stepping in.

Oh well. I like the fire. Maybe not the best execution. It's a lesson.

ales83fan

Jul 13, 2007
Not that big of a deal in my opinion. Actually there's some value in having him sit. Use these 6 days to work and develop some skills he will need for the future.

Is 3 fair? Seems a bit excessive but at the end of the day it's fine.

The incident seemed a bit violent from a 3rd party view.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Never mind - just watched their "highly nuanced" video.

haha, i just watched it as well... all it made me do is love nurse more, and hate polak more... what a chicken **** player... stand up for yourself for god sakes, you are a big man and just made a play the other team thinks is dirty (true or otherwise)... to not be prepared for the other team to take a run at you is pretty sad

good work nurse, i don't like you as a hockey player as much as most around here do, but i like your attitude plenty

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
1 more game than I expected him to get, not terribly surprising considering the discussion sparked since the incident.

Nurse was playing like he needed to watch a few games in the PB before this fight anyway, maybe he's forcing his way up there since McLellan couldn't figure it out :sarcasm:

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Domi sucker punches someone from behind and gets one.

This reeks of an extra game for being a beast and an extra game for being from Edmonton.

Domi plays for an "important" American franchise. Nurse doesn't. That's the difference there. Anyone who thinks this league is unbiased against Canadian franchises needs to pull their head out of their ass.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Todd sums it up pretty well.

but he DIDN'T take it to far for what he had for knowledge at the time

nurse thought that polak made one of the most dangerous plays you can make in hockey (only slightly less dangerous then hitting from behind 3 feet from the boards).... putting your stick in somebody's feet as they scream into the boards is an *exceptionally* dangerous play, so much so that the league changed a fundamental rule (icing) to prevent this from happening.... it is such a dirty play, that it has ended peoples careers, and dramatically altered many others

sure, nurse was WRONG, polak didn't actually do this action, but nurse thought he did

what nurse did is completely acceptable, given those details.... i don't even like fighting in hockey very much, i don't think it has a place (outside of these exact scenarios, where player X makes a dirty play, and the other team has to respond)... i have exactly ZERO issues with what nurse did, just like i have ZERO problems with the NHL suspending him (i take issue with the number of games, but that is a different point all together)

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Domi sucker punches someone from behind and gets one.

This reeks of an extra game for being a beast and an extra game for being from Edmonton.

Domi never actually landed any punches until he turned Garbutt around towards him. There was no sucker punch from behind. His offence was also in the heat of the moment while Nurse's was premeditated. Injury to Polak was probably taken into account as well.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
steep, maybe a game or two too much, but I don't mind it personally. Was stupid on his part. Blatant assault on a pretty honesty player.

Getting 3 games off at this point is probably a nice reprieve.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
haha, i just watched it as well... all it made me do is love nurse more, and hate polak more... what a chicken **** player... stand up for yourself for god sakes, you are a big man and just made a play the other team thinks is dirty (true or otherwise)... to not be prepared for the other team to take a run at you is pretty sad

good work nurse, i don't like you as a hockey player as much as most around here do, but i like your attitude plenty

The DOPS video, and decision, is wrong in their determination that Polak, at no time, threw a punch. Did they not see the punch he threw, with his gloves on, immediately after Nurse grabbed him? Not that it would change anything but Polak is no innocent bystander here..he just got rocked by Nurse quickly and had no choice but either drop his gloves or cover up. He chose the later.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Domi sucker punched the guy from behind. Was worse than Nurse.

The NHL is a ****ing joke. They cheat for the US teams because that is where the growth is. Worst officiated of all pro-sports.

A Canadian team will never win another Stanley Cup, we are dreaming in Edmonton.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
but he DIDN'T take it to far for what he had for knowledge at the time

nurse thought that polak made one of the most dangerous plays you can make in hockey (only slightly less dangerous then hitting from behind 3 feet from the boards).... putting your stick in somebody's feet as they scream into the boards is an *exceptionally* dangerous play, so much so that the league changed a fundamental rule (icing) to prevent this from happening.... it is such a dirty play, that it has ended peoples careers, and dramatically altered many others

sure, nurse was WRONG, polak didn't actually do this action, but nurse thought he did

what nurse did is completely acceptable, given those details.... i don't even like fighting in hockey very much, i don't think it has a place (outside of these exact scenarios, where player X makes a dirty play, and the other team has to respond)... i have exactly ZERO issues with what nurse did, just like i have ZERO problems with the NHL suspending him (i take issue with the number of games, but that is a different point all together)

As I pointed out above..you're still wrong.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Gutless move by the DOPS..Should have been one game because it should have been an instigator penalty. Anything else is BS because the refs didn't step in as they usually do.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
As I pointed out above..you're still wrong.

yeah i get what you are saying, polak still interfered, but i don't really think there was the "malice intent" behind it that watching it live first implied... on the replay, it really looked more accidental than anything

i'm super glad nurse did it, and hope he doesn't stop doing it just cause the NHL is a joke of a league

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
yeah i get what you are saying, polak still interfered, but i don't really think there was the "malice intent" behind it that watching it live first implied... on the replay, it really looked more accidental than anything

i'm super glad nurse did it, and hope he doesn't stop doing it just cause the NHL is a joke of a league

Oh I agree, it wasn't malicious. Just pointing out that the penalty was justified and, in that case, can understand Nurse's actions in standing up for a fellow player who's had the rest of the team's backs many times.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Domi sucker punched the guy from behind. Was worse than Nurse.

The NHL is a ****ing joke. They cheat for the US teams because that is where the growth is. Worst officiated of all pro-sports.

A Canadian team will never win another Stanley Cup, we are dreaming in Edmonton.

Yeah the way the situation played out worked against Nurse's favour. Domi caught Garbutt on the move and they ended up on the ice with the officials pretty quick. If Domi was as big/strong as Nurse it might have changed things a bit too. But because Polak was caught at nearly a stand still he didn't lose balace and drop, Nurse had the choice to stop beating up a guy who was just turtling and chose not to. It's unfortunate but I don't think its as unfair as some are painting it.

At the end of the day I just want to see all players stop doing crap like this.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
This might sound bad, but when was the last time we had someone suspended for standing up for a teammate?

It sucks it is 3 game, but I won't lie when I say I'm glad we're slowly but surely growing a backbone. It might've been dirty or classless or whatnot, but thank **** the Oilers aren't push overs like they were the past 2-3 seasons.

Agree but its more like 8-9 seasons.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad