Nurse suspended 3 games

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
True that. Or perhaps he answers the bell on the next cheapshot.

Suddenly we have multiple players willing to answer the bell and stick up for a teammate. I'm sure Maroon judging by his comments would have no issue doing it either. Or Kassian, or Gryba, or Pardy, or Cracknell.

Thank you Chia.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Maroon, Kassian, Nurse. Our team will be very hated, but ill take hate for being a tough team over sympathy any day of the week

Sympathy implies a degree of compassion from whoever is doing the judging.

Contempt or disdain better describe the way the Oilers are viewed around the league.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
for real...
How is the guy who grabbed him face to face after they came together more of an aggressor than domi who chased his guy down, cross checked him from behind, then started attacking...
One happened immediately after the hit spur of moment resulting in no injury. The other was premeditated and resulted in a broken nose.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
While I think it's a bit of overkill for a player on his first of fence, this may actually be good for Nurse.

He's been playing way too much and IMO needs a bit of a break. Hopefully he comes back and plays better as a result.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Hendricks has been answering the bell all season long for his teammates. I'd be willing to bet he was shaking Nurse's hand in the locker room.

That was one thing I loved about the altercation. Hendricks has been the one guy standing up for everyone since he got here. So nice to see Nurse not only stand up for Hendy but also make sure the guy paid the price no matter whether he wanted to or not.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Ya honestly a 3 game break doesn't hurt Nurse. They obviously are very shorthanded on D right now... but a break will likely do him good (I don't think he was excelling with the minutes they were pushing at him) and they get to see a little more of the Reinhart/Oesterle types as well.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
No chance Polak goes with Nurse. None.
No, he'll go. He has to now that its become such a big deal.
Be different if he was a wimpy little guy or something, but how does a guy who plays like Polak does look his team mates in the eye if he doesn't go back and try to settle up.
Polak will forever be a waste of space in my eyes if he doesn't man up and drop the gloves with Nurse at his earliest opportunity.
Then we'll see how tough he really is.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It actually makes me chuckle that an Oiler was suspended for being the "aggressor". Who would have thought that even a month ago?

Long term this will be a good thing.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
No, he'll go. He has to now that its become such a big deal.
Be different if he was a wimpy little guy or something, but how does a guy who plays like Polak does look his team mates in the eye if he doesn't go back and try to settle up.
Polak will forever be a waste of space in my eyes if he doesn't man up and drop the gloves with Nurse at his earliest opportunity.
Then we'll see how tough he really is.

Dont think it'll be this season then, guy has a broken beak. Anyone know if he played with a cage or shield last night?

honkerhitter

Feb 27, 2016
Somebody posted rule 46.2 yesterday. It explained what an aggressor was. Nurse looked like he injured Polak with that first punch and rendered him defenseless. If he had stopped there I doubt he gets any kid of suspension. He continued pounding him after he had clearly won the fight. That's where he crossed the line with the NHL. I watched a lot of fights in the seventies and eighties where guys were classy enough to let up after they hurt guys, regardless of how angry they were. It was a pretty standard occurrence. That's the lesson Nurse needs to learn here and to be thankful it wasn't more.

First punch hit at the top of the helmet/ visor intersect , the fourth or fifth punch exploded his nose.
Pollack had every oppurtunity to engage , but chose not to.
I'm glad Nurse stood up for his teammates in stead of being a passive puss.
The NHL player saftey staff are inconsistent , if they want to be taken seriously by fans around the league they need to be more consistent.
Same goes for the Officiating , the inconsistency and lack of actually knowing what the call is , is slowing down the game and making it hard to watch at times.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
One of the things to focus on is not just that Nurse is getting 3 games. Its that this already represents a prior suspension, obtained in hi rookie season, and so soon in his career he's getting disciplinary attention from the NHL. This in a league that uses an incremental increase in games suspended for subsequent suspendable offences.

This isn't a good thing. It certainly wasn't worth it for a young player.

Look, I love Nurse, but somebody has to reign this kid in once in awhile and not get him jacked up. This is a player of value but who is capable of completely losing it out there. I'm worried about that aspect. Also think the Oilers did this player a major disfavor playing him up in the show this much this season which will harm his development and has also had him take on roles fighting men (well I might add) but before he should have this nature of responsibility.

The net effect for Nurse, of what has gone down so early in his NHL career is that not only will the NHL be targeting the kid but opponents will as well. The Oilers have grossly mismanaged this player this rookie season. Far from the first time..

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I really liek this saying i heard:

Its better to reign in a stallion then whip a mule

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Exactly. Exactly.

And that's why I hope I'm never accused of a major crime. Up to 12 potentially very unintelligent people deciding your fate. Bound to be a few that condemn you based on how you look, alone.

Nurse can't even get a fair trial by judge alone.

Hope they pass the collection plate around the locker room.

There doesn't need to be bias. Humans are not as good as we think we are at perception and cognitive perception biases exist in the way that Human sensations such as vision actually work. For instance visually humans are subject to pathway processing that essentially fills in information in a picture, video, etc, as we expect to see it. So in essence that cognitively we really do see what we want to see. Countless experiments have focused on human perceptual difficulty. What we probably need to recognize is that our eyes are not merely cameras objectively viewing all they see. Theres pathways and visual area in the brain that PROCESSES the information.

So that people even if they report on what they *see*, are not necessarily reporting a reality.

Even on discussion boards like this it is fascinating how different intelligent people can be on examination of information as basic as a 20sec video or a 3 second hit clip, or infraction, or anything. So that even breaking it down frame by frame the cognitive distortion still exists for respective viewers. I jokingly referenced the Zapruder films earlier but in seriousness its the most significant example in our times of how people will see exactly what they want to see and with so much disagreement that will exist till the end of time.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
One happened immediately after the hit spur of moment resulting in no injury. The other was premeditated and resulted in a broken nose.

I'm OK with Nurse getting 3 games.

But Domi should have gotten 2. 1 for the instigation, 1 for the fact that it was a complete blindside attack at the guy's back.

"Intent to injure" and "Injuring" someone should be counted the same, imo.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
The 2 guys who should suspended are the 2 idiot officials. What the frig are you doing there when Nurse obviously injured him with the first punch and he was just covering up after that. Nope. They break it up after they fall to the ice. It wasnt even a fight. Just one guy laying a beating on another. To MMA refs looking for a guy to lay the deathblow.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The 2 guys who should suspended are the 2 idiot officials. What the frig are you doing there when Nurse obviously injured him with the first punch and he was just covering up after that. Nope. They break it up after they fall to the ice. It wasnt even a fight. Just one guy laying a beating on another. To MMA refs looking for a guy to lay the deathblow.

This is a concern not specific to this instance, but in general, that the NHL HAS to address.

This is a league that allows bare knuckle fighting with combatants increasingly stronger, more powerful and exerting ever more psi in every punch. The force of the blows are increasing. But the human ability of skull to absorb these punches does not increase. Resulting in increasingly more severe consequence and even death.

A league that claims to care about concussions, brain injuries, and subsequent debilitating effects for its players is continuing to allow bareknuckle fighting. Something that was eliminated from Boxing over a century ago.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This is a concern not specific to this instance, but in general, that the NHL HAS to address.

This is a league that allows bare knuckle fighting with combatants increasingly stronger, more powerful and exerting ever more psi in every punch. The force of the blows are increasing. But the human ability of skull to absorb these punches does not increase. Resulting in increasingly more severe consequence and even death.

A league that claims to care about concussions, brain injuries, and subsequent debilitating effects for its players is continuing to allow bareknuckle fighting. Something that was eliminated from Boxing over a century ago.

Bare knuckle boxing is safer than gloved.

http://www.neatorama.com/2010/07/04/bare-knuckle-boxing-is-actually-safer-than-using-gloves/

And that is enough for that off topic tangent.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Bare knuckle boxing is safer than gloved.

http://www.neatorama.com/2010/07/04/bare-knuckle-boxing-is-actually-safer-than-using-gloves/

And that is enough for that off topic tangent.

You rebuke with an article with faulty logic and then say that's enough of that?

I'll respond and then leave it alone.

As stated by me todays pugilists exert a lot more psi per punch. If you took todays punching power and applied it to bareknuckle fighting 100 yrs ago yes, there would be serious injuries and deaths.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
You rebuke with an article with faulty logic and then say that's enough of that?

As stated by me todays pugilists exert a lot more psi per punch. If you took todays punching power and applied it to bareknuckle fighting 100 yrs ago yes, there would be serious injuries and deaths.
The main injuries would be to the wrists of the aggressor. I'm not sure if hockey gloves would afford the same support but boxing gloves allow you to punch much harder.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

On average people were tougher back then. Farmers doing much more manual work, etc. Tougher times, no babying, etc. My great grandfather was an absolute beast of a man in terms of strength and besides genetics some of that had to do with the physical labor that he did that many laborers today would moan about and get hurt doing because they weren't toughened up for it or weren't strong enough to get the job done. Not buying that people back then were lightweights that couldn't punch their way out of paper bags compared to people today.

Fairy McGodfather

Liquored & Cynical
Feb 5, 2016
Rural Saskatchewan
turtleturtle_gil1ej.jpg

I didn't think it was possible to botch Logans mug, because Logan, but I managed it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad