Recalled/Assigned: Nurse recalled + Griffin Reinhart on IR

Lewy

May 26, 2011
I think this shows how little faith the club has in Ference (rightfully so) at this point. I hope Nurse can come in. Make a few plays. Show off his speed and prove he's ready, because we need him.

Eytinge

Jul 25, 2009
Having Gryba, Nurse and Davidson in the lineup is just hard to play against.

I told you go with all defensive defenceman, the Devils way. Only missing Reinhart.

The Devils way hasn't been successful for a while, barring a fluke SC final run. And with our forwards, we need more puck movers, not less.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pretty confused at this point why they're still bothering with Davidson. There is nothing that can be done with Ference. He's got a NMC so he can't be sent to the minors and even if he was willing to go to another team, no one would want him.

But if Davidson isn't good enough to fill in for injury, why are we worried about waivers with him?

Agreed, there must've been someone better on waivers one would think.

Nurse with Gryba is the only way to go. Give him someone steady to play with.

Yup, **** playing him with Ference or Davidson.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Not happy to see this. Looking forward to Nurse being up full time when he's really ready to contribute.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Nurse is exactly what this team needs right now. We have too many guys on defense who stay at home and make the simple chip the puck off the boards play. We have so few guys who play physical defensively, and no one who uses the combination of size/strength/skating that Nurse possesses. He might not be perfect, and he'll make mistakes, but he's like the Taylor Hall of defense. He plays the game with a passion and an edge that is very rare.

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Nurse - Gryba

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hmm, not sure about this move. Nurse didn't look close to NHL ready for the majority of preseason and I'd rather him spend the entire season in the AHL than be yo yo'd back and forth and be called up when he's without a doubt ready to make the jump for good, the approach that Chia is taking with Draisaitl.
Maybe he's ready for the challenge, I sure hope he is.

This shows how shallow the depth is when the Oilers injury call up options are AHL lifers, has beens, never wases and rookies who probably aren't ready.

I know it's been said many times before, but it's just depressing looking at this D core. Chia has huge work ahead of him and good Dmen are hard to find so this is going to be a difficult fix beyond this season.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Hmm, not sure about this move. Nurse didn't look close to NHL ready for the majority of preseason and I'd rather him spend the entire season in the AHL than be yo yo'd back and forth and be called up when he's without a doubt ready to make the jump for good, the approach that Chia is taking with Draisaitl.

This shows how shallow the depth is when the Oilers injury call up options are AHL lifers, has beens, never wases and rookies who probably aren't ready.

Doesn't help when two of our veteran starters from last year are either locked in the press box or sent down, and a third traded for peanuts.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Doesn't help when two of our veteran starters from last year are either locked in the press box or sent down, and a third traded for peanuts.

The problem is that the veteran starters are the has been and the never was that I mentioned. The third was dealt by CrapT when he could have re-signed him for less than he wound up signing for if the rumors are to be believed.

Chia needs to find 2 top 4 Dmen this offseason. Doesn't have to be 2 top pairing guys but one top pairing guy to pair with Sekera and a 2nd pairing guy to shelter Klefbom.
Keep Sekera, Klefbom and Gryba, let Nurse and Reinhart battle it out for the #6 spot and plug in the 2 top RHD spots. Wishful thinking to get 2 top 4 Dmen but they can't have development years forever. Gotta find a top pairing Dman at the very least.

It's unfortunate that their big offseason signing looks like a dud thus far, I thought he would be a big help.

Last edited:

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Not happy to see this. Looking forward to Nurse being up full time when he's really ready to contribute.

I don't see a problem as long as he gets his minutes, not expected to be a top pairing D-man, gets valuable coaching and put in the position to succeed rather than fail. In addition, Nurse can bring physical play and passion which is something this team lacks.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
nurse is awesome, i cant wait to watch him make cleam breakout passes to mcdavid and just rack up the A's

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

I know it's been said many times before, but it's just depressing looking at this D core. Chia has huge work ahead of him and good Dmen are hard to find so this is going to be a difficult fix beyond this season.
We're not going to ruin Nurse with one stint in the NHL. It's a fairly natural progression for young guys to get some NHL experience, head back to AHL and take what they've learned to dominate an easier league.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Davidson would clear waivers. He's a classic no.7-8, every team has their own version.

Excited to see Darnell.

Yeah, I was a little worried about losing Davidson initially, but I've come around. He will max out as a 6/7 IMO, and the Oilers have a half-dozen guys that are younger that project better - Musil, Simpson, LaLeggia, etc. Waive him, keep Nurse in the lineup.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I know he has looked a lot better this season but I will say this here...

Schultz Out Nurse In is an upgrade for the Oilers at both ends of the ice.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
I think Nurse is going to come up, play his heart out, and stay with the team for the rest of the year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

so what will he learn between now and when he is ready to contribute? Would playing in the NHL hurt his development?

McDeathbyCheerios*

so what will he learn between now and when he is ready to contribute? Would playing in the NHL hurt his development?
It won't.

Playing short stints in the NHL can be very good for defensemen as it shows them where they are at and what they need to learn. Nurses issues are game management issues and trying to do to much.

Drai coming up would hurt him as Drais issues are skating and playing at a high intensity related issues which playing here won't help him with. He just needs to do it

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
The problem is that the veteran starters are the has been and the never was that I mentioned. The third was dealt by CrapT when he could have re-signed him for less than he wound up signing for if the rumors are to be believed.

Chia needs to find 2 top 4 Dmen this offseason. Doesn't have to be 2 top pairing guys but one top pairing guy to pair with Sekera and a 2nd pairing guy to shelter Klefbom.
Keep Sekera, Klefbom and Gryba, let Nurse and Reinhart battle it out for the #6 spot and plug in the 2 top RHD spots. Wishful thinking to get 2 top 4 Dmen but they can't have development years forever. Gotta find a top pairing Dman at the very least.

It's unfortunate that their big offseason signing looks like a dud thus far, I thought he would be a big help.

I'm not sure if Nurse stays up permanently at the moment. But I've got a feeling he'll be one of the teams best Dmen by the end of the year. Nurse has followed an almost identical path to the NHL as Pietrangelo, and as I recall he was on the Blues top pairing by the end of his first NHL season.

If we can have Sekera, Klef, Nurse as pillars and Reinhart as a solid 5th then Chi would only really need to add 1 top pairing D in the offseason. This of course depends on how Klef, Nurse and Reinhart look at the end of 82 (just maybe more???).

McDeathbyCheerios*

Think Nurse plays tonight? Im just not sure hes going to.
If they were just going to play Davidson and Ference they wouldn't of put Reinhart on the IR retroactively to call up Nurse. They would of called up a lesser prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad