Nurse once again Edmonton Oilers' top prospect in Fall 2014 Top 20

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Defensemen take the longest to develop...

That is true, and I should clarify that I don't mean to say that Klef and Marincin will never be top pairing guys. I just mean that Nurse has the best odds to be a top pairing guy and by a fair margin. Nurse plays in a way where it isn't hard to imagine what he would be like as a top pairing guy. Klef and Marincin both need to work on sizeable flaws to get there.

And that's my issue with Draisaitl as well. He's a fantastic prospect, he has the potential to be a big top line center, but to reach that potential he's got to work on his skating.

Nurse has to work hard too, but he's mainly just has to stay the course and bulk up. It's not easy either, but it is clearer and smoother to develop that way.

It's like Gagner. He worked on his muscle to overcome his big flaws, but in doing so he sacrificed speed, and he found it hard to redefine his game. This is the problem that Draisaitl might face. Changing his game drastically could mean a big adjustment period

McDeathbyCheerios*

That is true, and I should clarify that I don't mean to say that Klef and Marincin will never be top pairing guys. I just mean that Nurse has the best odds to be a top pairing guy and by a fair margin. Nurse plays in a way where it isn't hard to imagine what he would be like as a top pairing guy. Klef and Marincin both need to work on sizeable flaws to get there.

And that's my issue with Draisaitl as well. He's a fantastic prospect, he has the potential to be a big top line center, but to reach that potential he's got to work on his skating.

Nurse has to work hard too, but he's mainly just has to stay the course and bulk up. It's not easy either, but it is clearer and smoother to develop that way.

It's like Gagner. He worked on his muscle to overcome his big flaws, but in doing so he sacrificed speed, and he found it hard to redefine his game. This is the problem that Draisaitl might face. Changing his game drastically could mean a big adjustment period
It's a little different with Drai as he isn't needing to change his size he is just working on his skating skills.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Biggest Bust of the 2013 Draft

-Some poster

In regards to draft position I stand by that comment. Nurse is our most overrated prospect since Schremp. We passed over better prospects to pick him. If he wasn't 6'4" he'd have been picked in the 20-40 range because he doesn't have the hockey IQ. I said it at the draft and I'll continue to support it until I'm proven wrong which I hope he does. But I just don't see that top pairing dman in him that some of you guys seem to think he'll be.

McDeathbyCheerios*

In regards to draft position I stand by that comment. Nurse is our most overrated prospect since Schremp. We passed over better prospects to pick him. If he wasn't 6'4" he'd have been picked in the 20-40 range because he doesn't have the hockey IQ. I said it at the draft and I'll continue to support it until I'm proven wrong which I hope he does. But I just don't see that top pairing dman in him that some of you guys seem to think he'll be.
If Nurse wasn't picked at 7, he would of fallen no lower then 9. I don't know where you see the lack of it, I remember a preseason game where he was single handedly playing keep away with the Sedin twins then made a good break out pass to give us a scoring chance. Oilers are high on him as were most scouts.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France

If Nichushkin weren't 6'4", where would he have been picked? If Monahan weren't 6'2", where would he have been picked? We can play the guessing game all we want, but the fact of the matter is that size is a big factor in all three players' effectiveness and that imagining them without it is imagining a different player. Expecting a player to be top-10 calibre in every category is expecting Shea Weber or Chris Pronger. Doesn't mean that a mere mortal but extremely impressive player (and getting drafted top-10 in the world is extremely impressive no matter how you cut it) won't end up being a big part of our hockey team.

EDIT: Who did we pass over that's better?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

I can't believe you brought up Hockey IQ and suggested we picked Nichiskin. Nichiskin is all talent and less hockey IQ than Nurse. Nurse was ranked as high as 5 and many talked on draft day that the Huricanes would grab him as high as 5. Crazy to talk about him going 20-40. just pulling crap out of your ass.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
If Nichushkin weren't 6'4", where would he have been picked? If Monahan weren't 6'2", where would he have been picked? We can play the guessing game all we want, but the fact of the matter is that size is a big factor in all three players' effectiveness and that imagining them without it is imagining a different player. Expecting a player to be top-10 calibre in every category is expecting Shea Weber or Chris Pronger. Doesn't mean that a mere mortal but extremely impressive player (and getting drafted top-10 in the world is extremely impressive no matter how you cut it) won't end up being a big part of our hockey team.

EDIT: Who did we pass over that's better?

^i think the implication is that it's Nichushkin. and i agree that if we didn't take Nurse at #7, the Sabres would have at #8 for sure given that they too Ristolainen. if not, he would never had made it past the Flyers at #11, where they also took a d-man in Samuel Morin, and especially given the fact that he is the nephew of ex-Eagle Donovan McNabb.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Just the fact you would put him in the 20-40 range shows me you don't have much clue of what you're saying. It's laughable when you wanted Nish, who by all means as okgooil said, has less hockey IQ than Nurse.

There was a fairly large consensus that he would be a top ten pick. So what do you have that the media doesn't have? I doubt you've ever watched him play pre draft, other than youtube montages.

good on you to stand by a comment that was utterly bad then, and still is bad now.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
^i think the implication is that it's Nichushkin. and i agree that if we didn't take Nurse at #7, the Sabres would have at #8 for sure given that they too Ristolainen. if not, he would never had made it past the Flyers at #11, where they also took a d-man in Samuel Morin, and especially given the fact that he is the nephew of ex-Eagle Donovan McNabb.

The Flyers would have taken Morin higher. They were happy when he fell to them. It was in one of the documentaries.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Just the fact you would put him in the 20-40 range shows me you don't have much clue of what you're saying.

There was a fairly large consensus that he would be a top ten pick. So what do you have that the media doesn't have? I doubt you've ever watched him play pre draft, other than youtube montages.

good on you to stand by a comment that was utterly bad then, and still is bad now.

I said 20-30 range if he wasn't 6'4". Would you guys be as excited about him if he was say 6'1"? Because to me if your picking a Dman hockey IQ is the number one thing you look for and Nurse doesn't have it in spades.

For the record I had a list of guys I wanted over Nurse including all of Lazar, Horvat, Ristolainen, Morrissey, and Pulock(Mainly to fill an organizational need). I think they all made more sense for the team over Nurse but we'll see. He may suprise me but IMO at best he becomes Phaneuf, most likely he doesn't have the offence and become a second pairing stay at home dman with a good first pass.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If Nurse wasn't picked at 7, he would of fallen no lower then 9. I don't know where you see the lack of it, I remember a preseason game where he was single handedly playing keep away with the Sedin twins then made a good break out pass to give us a scoring chance. Oilers are high on him as were most scouts.

And some scouts had him in the second round....

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
The Flyers would have taken Morin higher. They were happy when he fell to them. It was in one of the documentaries.

Yes because teams always tell you who they would have taken after the draft instead of...

"Yeah, we really wanted Nurse but he was gone, son of a bi***, so we took that Morin guy as he was the only decent D left"

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

Yes because teams always tell you who they would have taken after the draft instead of...

"Yeah, we really wanted Nurse but he was gone, son of a bi***, so we took that Morin guy as he was the only decent D left"

^with all due respect to Samuel Morin, if the Flyers had a choice between Nurse and Morin at #11 that year, they would have taken Nurse hands down!

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
^with all due respect to Samuel Morin, if the Flyers had a choice between Nurse and Morin at #11 that year, they would have taken Nurse hands down!

At first I think they did but by the end Nurse had dropped.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^thanx for this. i wasn't aware of it. looks like the Flyers were indeed more interested in Morin, and to be fair to him and Nurse, they seem to be pretty close to equal talents....both are big, tough, defensively sound and can score points. looks like Mueller, Morin, Nurse and Monahan were all in the mix for the Flyers that year. obviously the Oilers felt different as did Buffalo who picked Ristolainen next at #8. i'll tell you what, if the Flyers really wanted a d-man, 2013 was the year because there were some potential very good d-men available like Jones, Nurse, Ristolainen, Morin, Morrissey, Pulock, Zadorov, and Mueller. i don't think the Flyers could have gone wrong that year.

Last edited:

oilz89*

Fair enough. Except that Draisatl just really only needs to work on his skating

oilz89*

Hahhahahahhahahahaha :help::help::help::help: Yes the armchair GM knows everything :shakehead

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

We didn't pass over better prospects to pick Nurse. He was the guy ranked to go there. If he wasn't 6'4, he would be a totally different player. That's like me saying Nugent-Hopkins wouldn't have went first overall if he didn't have such great vision. Of course he wouldn't, that's a huge part of his game. Skilled 6'4 is hard to come by. Skilled 6'4 on the frame of a hard worker is almost impossible to come by. Nurse isn't overrated, you are simply underrating him.

oilz89*

we didn't pass over better prospects to pick nurse. He was the guy ranked to go there. If he wasn't 6'4, he would be a totally different player. That's like me saying nugent-hopkins wouldn't have went first overall if he didn't have such great vision. Of course he wouldn't, that's a huge part of his game. Skilled 6'4 is hard to come by. Skilled 6'4 on the frame of a hard worker is almost impossible to come by. Nurse isn't overrated, you are simply underrating him.

this this this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad