Nurse once again Edmonton Oilers' top prospect in Fall 2014 Top 20

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
darnell_nurse_sault_ste_marie_greyhounds_5.jpg
Darnell Nurse recorded 50 points in 64 games while also serving as captain of the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. (courtesy of Aaron Bell/OHL Images)

The Fall 2014 edition of the Edmonton Oilers Top 20 remained relatively steadfast among the top five spots save for the addition of newcomer to the list and 2014 third-overall draft selection Leon Draisaitl. Once again, the Top 20 is dominated by defensive prospects but two strong power forwards, Mitch Moroz and Jujhar Khaira (both drafted in 2012), continue to turn heads as they make a push up the rankings and look toward having a strong training camp performance.… read more

The post Nurse once again Edmonton Oilers’ top prospect in Fall 2014 Top 20 appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Greg Chase at 14? Not sure about that.. He's up there with Khaira, Yakimov and Moroz IMO. Also think Simpson should be higher.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Fun to read. Thank you for posting.

I do disagree about how likely Nurse is to play in the NHL this season. He'd have to pass all of Klefbom, Marincin, and Aulie to accomplish that, which I don't see as reasonable. Possible, but highly unlikely.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's hard to take the list seriously when they've got a player(Gustafsson) on there that the Oilers don't even own the rights to anymore.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's hard to take the list seriously when they've got a player(Gustafsson) on there that the Oilers don't even own the rights to anymore.

How does that work? I thought he was playing elsewhere but we own his NHL rights like we did with Harti :dunno:

edit: to me that would still qualify him as a prospect imo

McDeathbyCheerios*

How do you figure that?
He wouldn't have to pass Aulie as he was signed just to be the extra dmen with mostly press box time. Marincin right now is the player to beat depth wise and it's Marincins spot to lose. Nikitin and Ference are 2/3 of the left d and either Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse will fill the other one. My money is on Marincin but you never know

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
While some here pine away at the minutia of the ranking order, I can't help but be struck by the depth of the future of this club....and what I think MacT is planning for. Grab a couple of bona fide D's and 3rd 4th liners for some of these kids to beat out of a job.

When was the last time there were a number of quality players in the minors pushing at the bit?

Next couple of years will be mighty interesting.

Aceonfire*

FYI

Marco Roy was traded to the Ramparts and will not be returning to the Armada.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
He wouldn't have to pass Aulie as he was signed just to be the extra dmen with mostly press box time. Marincin right now is the player to beat depth wise and it's Marincins spot to lose. Nikitin and Ference are 2/3 of the left d and either Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse will fill the other one. My money is on Marincin but you never know

In the sense that Aulie is pegged for an NHL job and Nurse is not, Nurse does have to pass Aulie. Marincin and Klefbom have to be better than Aulie to play too, so it's not as if Aulie is just a professional bench warmer.

Both in terms of playing ability and best practices for development, I'll be shocked if keeping Nurse in the NHL makes more sense than keeping either of Marincin or Klefbom. It'll be a pretty big story if even Klefbom beats out Marincin. For better or worse, and I think for much better, I think Nurse goes back to junior.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
How does that work? I thought he was playing elsewhere but we own his NHL rights like we did with Harti :dunno:

edit: to me that would still qualify him as a prospect imo

He was never signed.

He's a UFA now.

no big loss in my book. i never liked the pick and i never thought Gustafsson was ever going to play a game for the Oilers. they have already replaced him with Lagesson anyways. :sarcasm:

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^at least they didn't do the shiny new toy thing other than Leon, and include Lagesson in the top 20 when he clearly is not yet one of our top 20 prospects. also Gustafsson should not have been in the top 20, whether or not he's still with the Oilers and good on HF for not including others who clearly don't deserve to be on the list like Curtis Hamilton.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Actually nice to have a year when our new pick didn't just jump to number one. reality LD and Nurse chould be a tie.

Wonder if they send Nurse down again. He is NHL ready now, but with Marincin and Klef, along with Nikiti and Fayne, we don't have a lot of room for him. He will destory the OHL this year if the goes down.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Actually nice to have a year when our new pick didn't just jump to number one. reality LD and Nurse chould be a tie.

Wonder if they send Nurse down again. He is NHL ready now, but with Marincin and Klef, along with Nikiti and Fayne, we don't have a lot of room for him. He will destory the OHL this year if the goes down.

It will take Nurse absolutely dominating everything in pre-season for him to even get 9 games. Marincin and Klefbom are older and still need to break into the lineup. Nurse hasn't had the World Juniors experience. Those two reasons are enough to send him down.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
It will take Nurse absolutely dominating everything in pre-season for him to even get 9 games. Marincin and Klefbom are older and still need to break into the lineup. Nurse hasn't had the World Juniors experience. Those two reasons are enough to send him down.

Ya, I agree. I mean basically what I said, but, He might just come in a dominate camp.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He was never signed.

He's a UFA now.

thanks for the info. I suppose that does make the list suspect.

I still like the list because Nurse is on top. I know we need a center more than we need a LHD, but Nurse is just a different kind of player than Klef and Marincin. Nurse has that top pairing potential.

Draisaitl will be a solid 2C with size for us for many years, but he would likely not challenge RNH for the top spot too.

I also like a sober opinion with Chase. He is a remarkable story for our prospect pool but I think he's got to keep his play up to earn his way in that upper echelon. That's just the handicap that low drafted players have to overcome, and if he's for real then he will overcome it.

By the same principle I'm okay with Klef staying near the top for now even though his play so far hasn't been amazing.

oilz89*

thanks for the info. I suppose that does make the list suspect.

I still like the list because Nurse is on top. I know we need a center more than we need a LHD, but Nurse is just a different kind of player than Klef and Marincin. Nurse has that top pairing potential.

Draisaitl will be a solid 2C with size for us for many years, but he would likely not challenge RNH for the top spot too.

I also like a sober opinion with Chase. He is a remarkable story for our prospect pool but I think he's got to keep his play up to earn his way in that upper echelon. That's just the handicap that low drafted players have to overcome, and if he's for real then he will overcome it.

By the same principle I'm okay with Klef staying near the top for now even though his play so far hasn't been amazing.

Defensemen take the longest to develop...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad