Number One Defensemen in NHL

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
#1 Dmen qualities:

-Quarterbacks the power-play and is one of the leading scorers amongst dmen on his own team
-Used against other teams best players every shift
-Can be a one-man breakout in his own zone or makes seamless outlet passes
-Is a winner (International success, individual trophies, Stanley Cups and or post-season success)
-Leads by example
-Is durable
-Consistent.'

So who are they?
Doughty, Karlsson, Josi, Subban, Keith, Hedman, Burns, Pietrangelo, Weber, Letang
Good one

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
There are around 20 who meet the criteria.

Tier 1 (in no order)

Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
OEL
Burns
Subban
Josi
Keith
Weber
Pietrangelo
Vlasic

Tier 2

Slavin
Provorov
Lindholm
Parayko
Klingberg
Jones
Werenski
Trouba
Letang
McDonagh
Hamilton

At this point in time both Brodie and Gio are better than Hamilton, and are both #1's. Hamilton is slow starter offensively I do think he'll pick it up.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
jmho but when guys like Slavin and Provo are playing top pair minutes on perennial playoff teams then you've got a good case to make. but the bottom line to me is that high end hockey players tend to lead to some level of team success. Without that success it's kind of hard to compare them to guys that have had it
So Rielly is better than OEL because one is now on a playoff team and the other has been horrible again this year.

See how dumb that is?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So Rielly is better than OEL because one is now on a playoff team and the other has been horrible again this year.

See how dumb that is?
there are always going to be examples that break rules. And yes I certainly get that OEL is considered by many to be a true #1D.

but I didn't say Reilly was better than OEL. I didn' say that at all. Kinda dumb suggesting I did no?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
there are always going to be examples that break rules. And yes I certainly get that OEL is considered by many to be a true #1D.

but I didn't say Reilly was better than OEL. I didn' say that at all. Kinda dumb suggesting I did no?
It was to show that TEAM success has little to do with how good 1 guy is. OEL is very good and a #1, the team has been awful for years. It doesn't make him less of a player because his team loses.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
#1 Dmen qualities:

-Quarterbacks the power-play and is one of the leading scorers amongst dmen on his own team
-Used against other teams best players every shift
-Can be a one-man breakout in his own zone or makes seamless outlet passes
-Is a winner (International success, individual trophies, Stanley Cups and or post-season success)
-Leads by example
-Is durable
-Consistent.'

So who are they?
Doughty, Karlsson, Josi, Subban, Keith, Hedman, Burns, Pietrangelo, Weber, Letang

Suter checks all those boxes.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It was to show that TEAM success has little to do with how good 1 guy is. OEL is very good and a #1, the team has been awful for years. It doesn't make him less of a player because his team loses.

team success is dependent on having quality players.

fans everywhere overrate their own players. OEL's situation with Arizona is a bit unique with all that franchise has been through.

look at someone like Pronger. He was able to tilt the ice for almost 30 minutes a night in his team's favour and as he went to or left teams you saw their fortunes change quickly. Thats the kind of impact elite 1D have.

Daveyyaunce

Jun 23, 2017
Philadelphia
team success is dependent on having quality players.

fans everywhere overrate their own players. OEL's situation with Arizona is a bit unique with all that franchise has been through.

look at someone like Pronger. He was able to tilt the ice for almost 30 minutes a night in his team's favour and as he went to or left teams you saw their fortunes change quickly. Thats the kind of impact elite 1D have.

How is OEL an exception to this rule of yours? Great player on a bad team. Regardless of why thats the case, its still the same situation countless great players deal with. Shouldn't he be having a Chris MFing Pronger-like impact on his team?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
How is OEL an exception to this rule of yours? Great player on a bad team. Regardless of why thats the case, its still the same situation countless great players deal with. Shouldn't he be having a Chris MFing Pronger-like impact on his team?

that team has been run on a shoestring budget his entire career

Daveyyaunce

Jun 23, 2017
Philadelphia
that team has been run on a shoestring budget his entire career

Yeah but by your standards he should be able to elevate the play of his team regardless of the talent around him right? I mean, that's the standard you're applying to everybody else.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
There are around 20 who meet the criteria.

Tier 1 (in no order)

Karlsson
Doughty
Hedman
OEL
Burns
Subban
Josi
Keith
Weber
Pietrangelo
Vlasic

Tier 2

Slavin
Provorov
Lindholm
Parayko
Klingberg
Jones
Werenski
Trouba
Letang
McDonagh
Hamilton

#1A D: Keith, Doughty, Subban,, Karlsson, Piets, Hedman, OEL, Vlasic

#1B: Gio, Suter, Weber, Josi, McDonagh, Burns

Tough to judge until healthy: Letang, Lindholm. Though both have looked like #1A in spurts, particularly Letang.

Emerging/Pending: Jones, Slavin, Provorov, Werenski, Trouba, Rielly, Niskanen, Klefbom, Hamilton, Ekholm/Ellis, Fowler, Parayko- pending (too many to name off the top of my head)

There is Erik karlsson
And then there is Tier 1 and the seperation is significant.

Tier 1

Doughty
Hedman
OEL
Burns
Subban
Josi
Keith
Weber
Pietrangelo
Vlasic

Vlasic on the 1A list? He’s right up there defensively, but is he someone that can be that driver for a team offensively? He's struggled to crack 30 points in most years, and he’s played on some very talented SJ teams.

I feel the same way about Slavin and H. Lindholm.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Vlasic on the 1A list? He’s right up there defensively, but is he someone that can be that driver for a team offensively? He's struggled to crack 30 points in most years, and he’s played on some very talented SJ teams.

Thats fair.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Karlsson, Karlsson, Karlsson...

Now that I'm done with the obligatory mentioning of Karlsson without reason... Yes, Leafs lack a 1D.

There are too few clear cut 1Ds in the league. Many recent promised ones couldn't quite reach the level. That is why the market is starving for quality D-men and a lot of D-men get overpayed.

Right now I'd say:

Doughty, Hedman, Keith, Burns, Karlsson

Even guys like Subban, Josi or Pietrangelo I see as borderline guys.

In the near future Werenski and Provorov could join the group.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yeah but by your standards he should be able to elevate the play of his team regardless of the talent around him right? I mean, that's the standard you're applying to everybody else.

dont tell me what my standards are in an attempt to make me seem stupid. you're being an ass. you're going to extremes in an attempt to be seen as right.

OEL is in a different situation. He is a top notch player on a team that essentially cannot compete in the league they are in because they do not have the same resources as their competitors and that is a very different situation than what I've suggested.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

It's just pedigree for me. Slavin could be a #1 right now but I'd like to see a greater sample size of consistency. Lindholm, to me, is a #1 when healthy but he's had inconsistencies due to health.

All three aren't great puck movers or offensive PMD, but they are good/great enough at defense that I overlook it. All three are solid enough at that aspect though.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Tons of defensemen meet that #1 criteria, I'm sure it would have been easier to have labeled the thread FRANCHISE defensemen.....
Doughty
Karlsson
Keith
Hedman
Subban
Pietrangelo
Josi
Ekman-Larsson
Vlasic
All other defensemen are either still playing their way up to this status Werenski, Provorov, Sergachev,

Daveyyaunce

Jun 23, 2017
Philadelphia
dont tell me what my standards are in an attempt to make me seem stupid. you're being an ass. you're going to extremes in an attempt to be seen as right.

OEL is in a different situation. He is a top notch player on a team that essentially cannot compete in the league they are in because they do not have the same resources as their competitors and that is a very different situation than what I've suggested.

You've stated that you judge individual players based on their teams success.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
And the flyers weren't far off from making it. Do you genuinely believe that had they made it that it would have made the difference in whether or not a player on their team would have been elite? You genuinely think that is a logical measurement in an assesment of an individual players talent?

Right.
Man games missed with injury, coach, PDO/luck, goalie, supporting cast, etc. Play absolutely no role.

It's why Tampa's start this season is so confusing. As of right now, Kucherov isn't in the upper echelon of the NHL.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
There are 31 #1 Dmen in the NHL.

There a fewer Elite #1 Dmen:
Karlsson
Burns
Doughty
Hedman
Suter
Weber
Josi
Vlasic
Pietrangelo
Keith
Letang

Then you have some very good #1 Dmen who could be considered Elite in any given year:
Subban
Giordano
McDonaugh
Lindholm
Fowler
OEL
Klinberg

…. and some young Dmen who are trending very favorably and will likely move into the Elite category as they seem to have all of the tools:
Jones
Werenski
Slavin
Ekblad
Parayko
Ristolainen?
Trouba?

Provorov?
McAvoy?

Reactions: Rydgar

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
You mean the kind of defenseman who can carry his team to one goal of the finals with his best teamate being Bobby Ryan? Being his team's best offensive and defensive player?

Or do you mean the kind of defenceman who can go two best on best tournaments without being on for a single goal against? The kind of defenceman who can carry a depleted Sweden squad to one goal from Olympic gold?

I'm just curious what kind of defenceman you mean.

i thought I was clear. the type of dman that can lead his team to a cup. sorry. hopefully that's better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad