Number One Defensemen in NHL

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'd say a legit #1 defenceman is roughly equivalent to what the "average" #1 D on a Stanley Cup winning team is.

You get the odd SC winner like Pittsburgh last year (Letang injured) where there wasn't a clear elite defenceman, but they also have Crosby + Malkin to help make up for that, which virtually no other teams can match (two elite franchise centres).

Generally speaking, Doughty, Keith, Chara, Letang, Lidstrom, Pronger/Niedermayer, etc has been the calibre required. If your #1 D gives you a disadvantage against most top contenders in the league, then it's not a legit #1 IMO.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
I'd say a legit #1 defenceman is roughly equivalent to what the "average" #1 D on a Stanley Cup winning team is.

You get the odd SC winner like Pittsburgh last year (Letang injured) where there wasn't a clear elite defenceman, but they also have Crosby + Malkin to help make up for that, which virtually no other teams can match (two elite franchise centres).

Generally speaking, Doughty, Keith, Chara, Letang, Lidstrom, Pronger/Niedermayer, etc has been the calibre required. If your #1 D gives you a disadvantage against most top contenders in the league, then it's not a legit #1 IMO.

We all know what a number one d man is. But what are the current players who fit into the category of number one D men?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I'm not going to list them all but I think there are 15 or so around the league.

No - leafs don't currently have what I'd qualify as a #1 d. Nashville have 2

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm not going to list them all but I think there are 15 or so around the league.

No - leafs don't currently have what I'd qualify as a #1 d. Nashville have 2

I think there's a few more than that at this point. Maybe 20-25? But I agree that there's no one on the Leafs who I'd call a #1D at this point.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I'd say at any given time, there are probably only 10-15 guys in the entire NHL. #1 defensemen are more rare than #1 centremen because they can be tasked with playing 25-30 mins a night.

Karlsson, Doughty, Hedman, Burns, Keith, Josi, Subban, Weber, OEL, Werenski etc..

Lot of guys are almost there, but it's a tough role to crack.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
We all know what a number one d man is. But what are the current players who fit into the category of number one D men?

I think it's debateable who would fall onto that list. There are the clear obvious guys like Hedman, Karlsson, Doughty, etc, and then some more borderline guys.

The Leafs though don't even have a borderline guy, at least based on past seasons. Rielly is off to a hot start offensively this season, but he's still yet to maintain a high offensive output for a full year, and has still struggled at times on the defensive end of the puck.

I do think our blueline gets too much flak for the teams defensive woes. Goaltending hasn't been great, we have some forwards that are quite weak defensively, and nobody up front that would be confused with a Selke candidate. Doesn't mean I think our blueline is perfect, just that it's not the only problem when it comes to team defence.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I'd say at any given time, there are probably only 10-15 guys in the entire NHL. #1 defensemen are more rare than #1 centremen because they can be tasked with playing 25-30 mins a night.

Defensemen can stretch their minutes more easily than centers. Might be helpful to weigh TOI differently.

Reactions: ibengals

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Defensemen can stretch their minutes more easily than centers. Might be helpful to weigh TOI differently.

I agree, but having your best players on the ice is an advantage any way you look at it. Also aren't a whole lot of defensemen that can remain effective over 30 minutes, while playing with a bunch of different guys.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
List starts with Karlsson.

I actually don't think he meets the qualifications. most of fhe number 1 dmen are much better 2 way and excel in every circumstance. he's improved and isn't a total liability in his own end anymore. but he's far from great. so my thoughts are he will never hoist the cup as the number 1 dman on any team.

but honestly more than anything I wish the karlsson krew would stop infiltrating every thread trying to convince everyone of his greatness. no one had to convince everyone if the greatness of the true greats. so the more you try, you'll only fail worse and worse.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I actually don't think he meets the qualifications. most of fhe number 1 dmen are much better 2 way and excel in every circumstance. he's improved and isn't a total liability in his own end anymore. but he's far from great. so my thoughts are he will never hoist the cup as the number 1 dman on any team.

but honestly more than anything I wish the karlsson krew would stop infiltrating every thread trying to convince everyone of his greatness. no one had to convince everyone if the greatness of the true greats. so the more you try, you'll only fail worse and worse.

What

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I actually don't think he meets the qualifications. most of fhe number 1 dmen are much better 2 way and excel in every circumstance. he's improved and isn't a total liability in his own end anymore. but he's far from great.

Karlsson absolutely meets the criteria. He's much better in his own end than his detractors give him credit for, and anyway the biggest single thing a true # 1 defenseman is able to do is control the game when he's on the ice, which Karlsson absolutely does at a level that few other players in the league can rival.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I agree, but having your best players on the ice is an advantage any way you look at it. Also aren't a whole lot of defensemen that can remain effective over 30 minutes, while playing with a bunch of different guys.

Also true that not many centers can stay on the ice for ~25 minutes with play in all situations. I'm not sure how defensemen would handle center minutes.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

The hell is this

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

I didn't think we needed more Karlsson threads but apparently we do because some people still don't understand.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Karlsson absolutely meets the criteria. He's much better in his own end than his detractors give him credit for, and anyway the biggest single thing a true # 1 defenseman is able to do is control the game when he's on the ice, which Karlsson absolutely does at a level that few other players in the league can rival.

you're free to your own opinion.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
A #1 defenceman is something the Leafs truly lack despite what the vocal homers would have you believe. Its one of the few things that will get in their way of a true run IMO.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

Ottawa: 47GF 50GA
Karlsson ON: 32GF 16 GA
Karlsson OFF: 15 GF 34 GA

these are Karlsson on ice/ off ice splits from the playoffs.

He literally carried his team single handedly to one goal of the finals, playing 30 minutes a night, but he isn't a number 1 defender?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad