Number One Defensemen in NHL

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I just thought this was funny because the snark was coupled with a ridiculously funny typo.

Karlsson is absolutely a number one defenseman. If Ottawa somehow got another defenseman who is better and takes on the top role then, yeah, they would likely be contenders. Saying that you don't think he will ever win a Cup as the number 1 isn't very convincing, if only because of what I just said.
never really tried to say otherwise. I don't think he will ever be number 1 dman on a cup winning team. any team. if you're trying to tell me he needs a better dman on his team to win a cup well you agree with me then.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
# 1 d man is someone who can successfully log 28-29 minutes a game while being reaponsible defensively and productive offensively

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Karlsson, Karlsson, Karlsson...

Now that I'm done with the obligatory mentioning of Karlsson without reason... Yes, Leafs lack a 1D.

There are too few clear cut 1Ds in the league. Many recent promised ones couldn't quite reach the level. That is why the market is starving for quality D-men and a lot of D-men get overpayed.

Right now I'd say:

Doughty, Hedman, Keith, Burns, Karlsson

Even guys like Subban, Josi or Pietrangelo I see as borderline guys.

In the near future Werenski and Provorov could join the group.
yeah. I can see where this guy is coming from.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
are you joking? you dont think Letang is a top dman?

a healthy Letang is arguably the best dman in the league.

-He isnt healthy right now, and isnt playing like an Elite or even good D1 currently. He's had a lot of injuries over the years. For a fair judgement, if he was fully healthy Im not sure where I would rank him myself. I also do not know how well he will recover from his last injury. What I do know is Letang shows up in the playoffs when healthy.

Reactions: Viqsi

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
-He isnt healthy right now, and isnt playing like an Elite or even good D1 currently. He's had a lot of injuries over the years. For a fair judgement, if he was fully healthy Im not sure where I would rank him myself. I also do not know how well he will recover from his last injury. What I do know is Letang shows up in the playoffs when healthy.

he shows up in every game when he's healthy.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I've never agreed with the idea that there are only 10-12 #1 defensemen in the NHL. I think that's a case of having too strict a definition of what constitutes a #1 defenseman. However, that doesn't seem to be the case with #1 centers. IMO, Johansen, Monahan, and Barkov are #1 centers and many others would say the same, even though they're nowhere near the level of a Crosby or a McDavid. In that same vein, I would still consider a defenseman like Vlasic or Carlson a #1 defenseman, even though they are clearly not in the Karlsson/Hedman/Doughty tier.

I think people need to broaden their definition of the term "#1 defensemen" beyond Norris-caliber players.

Reactions: Rydgar

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I have never seen Doughty dominate like Karlsson did in the playoffs last year. He was unbelievable.
Doughty is brilliant in the Olympics. Was brilliant on both cup winning LA teams. May not be as offensively gifted as Karlsson but he can and does dominate games. Not just in the o zone either.

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Doughty is brilliant in the Olympics. Was brilliant on both cup winning LA teams. May not be as offensively gifted as Karlsson but he can and does dominate games. Not just in the o zone either.

Lets not forget how Erik Karlsson was even better in the olympics leading the whole tournament in points and was not on ice for a single goal against while playing with inferior teammates.

TB1299

Apr 13, 2016
Lets not forget how Erik Karlsson was even better in the olympics leading the whole tournament in points and was not on ice for a single goal against while playing with inferior teammates.

Lol exactly.

Karlsson was named the best defenceman of the tournament. Was not one the ice for a single goal against and led the olympics in scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad