Number of daytime games per team for 18-19 NHL season

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
The Toronto Raptors like to have a lot of Sunday games either in the afternoon or evening, so that's one reason why you don't see a lot of Leafs home games scheduled on a Sunday.

I know what you mean, but I'm 98.9% sure it's the other way around. ie. The Leafs have a long standing tradition of playing Saturday night home games, so the Raptors decided to make Sunday home games their thing.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This coming season when the Leafs play out in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver there is going to be a change. On the Saturday which will be March 9, 2019 they are in Edmonton. However the will still be starting at 7:00 PM EST/ 5:00 PM MST.

Their game against the Flames on Monday March 4, 2019 starts at 9:00 PM EST/7:00 PM MST and their game against the Canucks on Wednesday March 6, 2019 starts at 9:00 PM EST/6:00 PM PST.
Wow. Didn’t realize that the Canucks and leafs game on a wed night in Vancouver started at 6 pm local. Saw that the Canucks finally were removed from the sat night game when the leafs came west so Edm got the early start.

Cal because they are MST start as usual.

On the leafs trip to Cali in November they have 10:30 pmt est starts against LA and SJ and a 10 EST game at Ana.

I don’t have issues with weekend games starting earlier. But weekday games yes because you want to allow fans the time to get to the stadium.

Last edited:

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
So I decided to include for this all the games that begin between 11:30 am and 4:00 pm local venue game time. I wonder that who decides these, as the amount of games fluctuate quite wildly between several teams. For example, Leafs play only ONE daytime game, whereas Flyers play a whopping 19 of them. Do teams generally like to avoid these games? Does Toronto get to pick and choose their starting times first?

Anaheim Ducks5
Arizona Coyotes9
Boston Bruins9
Buffalo Sabres9
Calgary Flames10
Carolina Hurricanes9
Chicago Blackhawks6
Colorado Avalanche10
Columbus Blue Jackets3
Dallas Stars7
Detroit Red Wings9
Edmonton Oilers9
Florida Panthers6
Los Angeles Kings10
Minnesota Wild10
Montreal Canadiens4
Nashville Predators8
New Jersey Devils18
New York Islanders12
New York Rangers12
Ottawa Senators8
Philadelphia Flyers19
Pittsburgh Penguins3
San Jose Sharks7
St Louis Blues13
Tampa Bay Lightning3
Toronto Maple Leafs1
Vancouver Canucks9
Vegas Golden Knights11
Washington Capitals12
Winnipeg Jets9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Big disadvantage to play afternoon games.
Penguins 3 and Flyers 19?
Obvious favoritism.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don’t have issues with weekend games starting earlier. But weekday games yes because you want to allow fans the time to get to the stadium.
I guess things are different during the playoffs because during the Stanley Cup Final those games have always started at 8:00 PM EST/5:00 PM PST. So for example in 2016 when San Jose was in the Final I looked and Game 4 was scheduled on a Monday night, so that meant a 5:00 PM PST local start time. So was that any fair for Sharks fans having to get their at that time?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I guess things are different during the playoffs because during the Stanley Cup Final those games have always started at 8:00 PM EST/5:00 PM PST. So for example in 2016 when San Jose was in the Final I looked and Game 4 was scheduled on a Monday night, so that meant a 5:00 PM PST local start time. So was that any fair for Sharks fans having to get their at that time?
When you get to the finals it’s about more than your local market, so that’s understandable. Always will be the case when a PST zone team makes the finals. About maximizing the number of viewers in total. Same with the NBA though their games seem to start later because they don’t run as long being 48 minutes of game time.

Regular season is about the two local markets involved in the game.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
When you get to the finals it’s about more than your local market, so that’s understandable. Always will be the case when a PST zone team makes the finals. About maximizing the number of viewers in total. Same with the NBA though their games seem to start later because they don’t run as long being 48 minutes of game time.

Regular season is about the two local markets involved in the game.
During the most recent NBA Finals the two games played in Cleveland started at 9:00 PM EST, which is late for any team based in the Eastern Time Zone.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't mind actual afternoon games but east coast noon games are at 9am here and I am not watching a hockey game at 9am

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Flyers always like to have a lot of afternoon games
Easier to figure in w/ ny, nj, and nyi an easy bus ride away

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I hate afternoon games and I hate that nearly a quarter of my team's games will be played in the afternoon.

Actually, having second thoughts about this post. Usually during weekend afternoon Flyers games this past season (12:30PM or 1PM start) I'd just sleep in til about 11:30, get up, open a beer, cook a pack of bacon, and split it with my dog as the puck dropped. No eggs, no potatoes, nothing: Just beer and bacon.

Obviously that's great and the dog loved that, which is important, so really it's just the 3PM starts that kill me. Not even I can justify sleeping in until then. f*** 3PM games. But you guys should try out that routine if your team has some of those stupid NBC noon games (and you have a dog).

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Leafs don't play afternoon games because those generally take place on weekends, and the Leafs tend to play the prime-time game every Saturday due to being the biggest draw. The NHL's prime goal when scheduling is to accommodate broadcasters.

Flyers get so many afternoon games because comcast likes them getting national games, which means in the afternoon, because NBC isn't airing an NHL game that isn't a playoff game in prime time on a Saturday.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs don't play afternoon games because those generally take place on weekends, and the Leafs tend to play the prime-time game every Saturday due to being the biggest draw. The NHL's prime goal when scheduling is to accommodate broadcasters.
Do you happen to know why they are playing at 2:00 PM on January 3, 2019 at home against Minnesota? It's not like last season when they played that 2:00 PM game against Carolina since it was to mark the 100th anniversary of the very first NHL ever played at that specific time, so is there an actual reason and answer for this?

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Favouritism for what side?
Have you watched them? Most of the time they should remove the benches and put cots in for sleeps between shifts.

The rinks are dead and the players are skating around during their nappy times.

Hockey is for night time. Do your stuff during the day when it’s only -15 out. Get in doors when it drops to -30.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Following the conclusion of the NFL season, here in the US, I’d assume that Sunday afternoon games are probably the highest ratings that broadcasters get here in the states.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Could it also be that it involves more Eastern teams than Western because of Europe?

For us, if the NY teams have their games at 3 pm, its primetime to us.
3 pm on the west coast is still night here so not watchable for most.

I doubt that the NHL owners care much about the few watchers in Europe but who knows :)

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I like daytime games somewhat, because I work at night. :)
I guess it has something to do with each arena, and other events, and special games and such.

Oh, you can hold your head proud for being 1 of the 700 to attend that preseason game then.

Ftr - just a joke, that was super overblown.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So I decided to include for this all the games that begin between 11:30 am and 4:00 pm local venue game time. I wonder that who decides these, as the amount of games fluctuate quite wildly between several teams. For example, Leafs play only ONE daytime game, whereas Flyers play a whopping 19 of them. Do teams generally like to avoid these games? Does Toronto get to pick and choose their starting times first?

Anaheim Ducks5
Arizona Coyotes9
Boston Bruins9
Buffalo Sabres9
Calgary Flames10
Carolina Hurricanes9
Chicago Blackhawks6
Colorado Avalanche10
Columbus Blue Jackets3
Dallas Stars7
Detroit Red Wings9
Edmonton Oilers9
Florida Panthers6
Los Angeles Kings10
Minnesota Wild10
Montreal Canadiens4
Nashville Predators8
New Jersey Devils18
New York Islanders12
New York Rangers12
Ottawa Senators8
Philadelphia Flyers19
Pittsburgh Penguins3
San Jose Sharks7
St Louis Blues13
Tampa Bay Lightning3
Toronto Maple Leafs1
Vancouver Canucks9
Vegas Golden Knights11
Washington Capitals12
Winnipeg Jets9
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

There are 9 loses for the oilers

Flyers have 19? Devils 18:?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
It's funny seeing Jersey with so many. For some reason, when I think daytime hockey, I think a boring game in New Jersey, in a stifling arena, with a slightly out of focus camera. I don't know why but that's what comes to mind.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
All of a sudden the Devils have a ridiculous amount of these games. It's strange because they used to have a shortage of them

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Do you happen to know why they are playing at 2:00 PM on January 3, 2019 at home against Minnesota? It's not like last season when they played that 2:00 PM game against Carolina since it was to mark the 100th anniversary of the very first NHL ever played at that specific time, so is there an actual reason and answer for this?

It's the new year, and something to do with travel schedule

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2