Number of daytime games per team for 18-19 NHL season

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
With the Flyers, I'll guess some of it has to do with the Eagles. Saturday afternoon games before the Eagles plays Sunday afternoon or something like that. Plus the Sixers play at the same time of year. They have the post-Thanksgiving game. A couple Sunday afternoon games on NBC late in the season, so they can't play Saturday night, but Saturday is usually a big hockey day, and time is at a premium in multi-use arenas, so you have to get the games in somewhere. That scenario alone takes up 4 of the 19 games.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Until I saw this thread I had no idea the Leafs were playing at 2:00 PM EST at home on January 3rd against the Wild. It's weird because I can't remember the last time they had a home game during the week which started at that time, if it was not for a special occasion.

I know last season they had that same start time against Carolina, however that was to mark the 100th anniversary of the first NHL game ever played at that exact same time.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Edmonton has two at home and 7 on the road.

They never have more than one or two afternoon home games.

I assume that's true for all Canadian teams?

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Shouldn't all weekend games be afternoon games? Attend the game, and you still have the whole evening to do whatever you please. Drink more, or go to bed earlier.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Best part of that chart is that the Leafs one “daytime” start is a 4pm start in Vancouver so that it’s on in prime time in the east.
Asking Canucks fans how they feel about dropping the puck at 4 local time on a Saturday is by far my favourite thing to ask as I make my way to my seats among them.
This coming season when the Leafs play out in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver there is going to be a change. On the Saturday which will be March 9, 2019 they are in Edmonton. However the will still be starting at 7:00 PM EST/ 5:00 PM MST.

Their game against the Flames on Monday March 4, 2019 starts at 9:00 PM EST/7:00 PM MST and their game against the Canucks on Wednesday March 6, 2019 starts at 9:00 PM EST/6:00 PM PST.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Shouldn't all weekend games be afternoon games? Attend the game, and you still have the whole evening to do whatever you please. Drink more, or go to bed earlier.

Or do what you will during the day while there's still sunlight, then retire into the warmth of your sofa or local bar to watch the game after the sun is down and it gets freezing cold outside.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Leafs don't pick their times. Canadian broadcasters do and want them in primetime as much as possible.
Rogers owns the National deal with the NHL and half the Leafs (the other half owned by Bell, who owns TSN), so they are one in the same, don't kid yourself.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Rogers owns the National deal with the NHL and half the Leafs (the other half owned by Bell, who owns TSN), so they are one in the same, don't kid yourself.
Prior to Rogers getting the national rights deal in Canada when the Leafs would play the Canucks on a Saturday in Vancouver the game always started at 7:00 PM ESE/4:00 PM PST. So it's something that CBC would make that happened and it still had nothing to do with the Leafs requesting it.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Leafs and Habs rarely do thanks to the TV rights. 2 of the habs afternoon games every year is on superbowl weekend when they have back to back matinee games.

The leafs played 2 afternoon games last year, the centennial game vs carolina, and a late afternoon vegas NYE game. It's 1 this year with the wild in town for a 2pm game. Really surprised the leafs don't have more sunday afternoon games

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Prior to Rogers getting the national rights deal in Canada when the Leafs would play the Canucks on a Saturday in Vancouver the game always started at 7:00 PM ESE/4:00 PM PST. So it's something that CBC would make that happened and it still had nothing to do with the Leafs requesting it.
So you claim. Or did the Leafs request it because their legions of fans bitch and complain everytime there is a 10pm ET start?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The leafs played 2 afternoon games last year, the centennial game vs carolina, and a late afternoon vegas NYE game. It's 1 this year with the wild in town for a 2pm game. Really surprised the leafs don't have more sunday afternoon games
The Toronto Raptors like to have a lot of Sunday games either in the afternoon or evening, so that's one reason why you don't see a lot of Leafs home games scheduled on a Sunday.

Also their game on New Years Eve last season against the Golden Knights was in Las Vegas which started at 3:00 PM EST and 12:00 PM PST.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

I already explained that they want the Leafs in primetime for ratings.

It's not like they're asking Babcock and Dubas when they want to play for competitive reasons. Not hard to understand.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad