Proposal: Number 2 pick

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So Drouin, a high #1 this Season and possible high next Season plus a high #2... along with the moving of AMac -- freeing up a D Slot along with the $5M -- does nothing for you guys?

Drouin is proven on a somewhat small sample... the two Top Selections are by no means sure things.

#DevilsAdvocate

I would do this in a heartbeat. Problem is there's no way TB offers that up.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I don't understand the thought process behind attaching AMac to a premium asset. You're allowing another team to purchase value when you have no pressing need for his cap space.

Plus the cost can only go down as his term dwindles.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Flyers wouldn't do that trade.

We need a #1C prospect, far more than anything else.

Explain why we're giving up a legit 1C prospect in that trade for a winger and some middle-of-the-round picks...14th overall, 45th overall, and whatever they end up as next year, which could very easily be in the 20's. Good picks, but very unlikely to get a 1C prospect there, which would still be a glaring hole if we made this trade.

Also, the need to trade Amac isn't nearly as desperate as half this board seems to think.

Evergreen

I thought about swapping first rounders with LV if they agree to take amac in exp. draft. Thoughts?

Absolutely not. We aren't that desperate to dump MacDonald's contract. Does it suck? Yes. But it's not crippling us and won't affect us long term. Trading the #2 would affect us long term.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
This #2 pick gives us a potential #1C cost controlled and secure for 7 years add in the elc's of the upcoming defense and young goalies we will have cap space to fill in any holes in the lineup. Hextall is putting together the pieces for us to be a contender for years.No chance I trade that away.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
scottadams1.jpg

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
This #2 pick gives us a potential #1C cost controlled and secure for 7 years add in the elc's of the upcoming defense and young goalies we will have cap space to fill in any holes in the lineup. Hextall is putting together the pieces for us to be a contender for years.No chance I trade that away.

Only chance I trade this pick away would be if I get a better #1C,
Matthews, McDavid or MacKinnon.
No team is going to give us their young superstar for our #2 pick overall.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Only chance I trade this pick away would be if I get a better #1C,
Matthews, McDavid or MacKinnon.
No team is going to give us their young superstar for our #2 pick overall.

There are others..

Eichel
Draisaitl
Barkov
Maybe Scheifele (age being the only reason for pause)

Not many more than that and I think id actually pass on MacKinnon. Seems like a low IQ player despite his awesome physical tools.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think something to keep in mind while we engage in these daft hypotheticals is the idea that we aren't getting someone else's sloppy seconds. You may think it's crazy to call McJesus or Matthews "sloppy" in any context, but as fans, there's a value in getting a guy straight off the tree, instead of plucking him from the barrel.

3486-20425.jpg

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
I think something to keep in mind while we engage in these daft hypotheticals is the idea that we aren't getting someone else's sloppy seconds. You may think it's crazy to call McJesus or Matthews "sloppy" in any context, but as fans, there's a value in getting a guy straight off the tree, instead of plucking him from the barrel.

3486-20425.jpg

If Devils pick Patrick, then the choice is easy.
Pick Hischier, no need to trade the pick.

If Devils pick Hischier, then I would be more inclined to trade the pick for #1C.
Patrick's health worries me a bit with all the injuries.
We do not need to draft Ebid for Flyers.
We need our superstar player to actually suit up for the Flyers.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

If Devils pick Hischier, then I would be more inclined to trade the pick for #1C.

Yes, I'm sure teams with young 1C's will be lining up to trade them. Get real.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Do people not realize that other teams have to agree to trades?

The reasons you would do that trade are the exact reasons the other side wouldn't...

You want to give up a player who has an injury history and is unproven as a NHL 1C for an already established NHL 1C...? So what's the other teams motivation here? Why do they want the former over the latter?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

The reasons you would do that trade are the exact reasons the other side wouldn't...

You want to give up a player who has an injury history and is unproven as a NHL 1C for an already established NHL 1C...? So what's the other teams motivation here? Why do they want the former over the latter?

Stop using logic

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Oh yes, let's avoid drafting a generational talent. That would be horrible.

These issues are not black and white. When you take someone like Embiid, you're assuming a risk. If he stays healthy for 10 years but you didn't have your medical ducks in a row, it can still be a poor pick. If he never played an NBA game, it can still have been an excellent one. Process over results and all of that.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

I am really not worried about Patrick's injuries. He had a sports hernia, which happens a lot. Someone stuck their knee into the side of his knee at the end of the year. That's not a serious injury, just a sign he has human MCL tissue. He's also a frequent target, being the best player on the ice.

In his defense: The kid is a big horse and will be bigger as he fills out. Ryan Kesler big and strong. Good Ukrainian stock. His grandfather played in the CFL for 13 years with the Blue Bombers. His father played 250 games in the NHL. His uncle James was an excellent durable Dman with 20 years in the NHL. His mother was a national team volleyball player.

I don't see any reason to worry about his health over the long term. The combine should help with that assessment. The Flyers will already know all about him anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_Patrick

Patrick comes from two athletic families. On his paternal side his father Steve Patrick played 250 games in the NHL, his uncle James Patrick is a former NHL defenceman and former Dallas Stars assistant coach, and his grandfather Stephen Patrick played football for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and later became a politician.

On his maternal side his mother Carrie Patrick played volleyball for the University of Winnipeg Wesmen and Team Canada, and his uncle Rich Chernomaz is a former NHL player who currently coaches in Germany and Hungary.[21] His two sisters also play hockey. His older sister Madison plays for the University of British Columbia and his younger sister Aimee plays minor bantam in Winnipeg.[22]

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
Yes, I'm sure teams with young 1C's will be lining up to trade them. Get real.

I am not suggesting any team would be stupid enough to trade us a young generational talent 1C for the #2 pick overall.

I am just stating the obvious without them giving something more valuable, there is no reason to trade out of the pick.
No reason to use #2 overall to get a less valuable player via trade.

Last edited:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

i think some around here play fantasy hockey or sim hockey too much. trading is not that easy. i just laugh when folks get mad when Hextall cant trade so and so because he sucks.
Why would teams willingly take our bad players?

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
:laugh: :laugh:

Nobody seems to have cared that I stated upfront and more than once that I was playing the Devil's Advocate.

TBH, Unless totally blown away with a Deal that cannot be refused, I would not like to trade the #2 Overall... and I don't think that Hextall and the Organization would trade it, although he has stated that he would listen to Offers... so, I suppose we can't say 100% that he couldn't... but most likely wouldn't... but it could happen, given the right circumstances.

That said, I personally would like Patrick, but I am intrigued by the flash of Nico... and not that deterred by Nolan's injury history... I like Patrick's size and I feel he is a better fit for the Organization... but either one is fine with me.

The hypothetical Trade suggestion was merely to stir the pot and hear the thoughts of the people on the Board... I can up with it through the following reasoning: it is said that Hextall likes and may be interested in obtaining Drouin... the Bolts want to move him and want a Season D-Man in return as well as Prospects/high picks... people here want AMac moved but his Contract is unmovable under 'normal' circumstances... The Flyers do have in the pipeline a couple high Prospects that they planned on for their #1C spot down the road... There would be Cap savings that could be applied to Free Agents... and Drouin is an exceptional talent.

With that I made up a deal that I thought would be fairly even... If the Flyers would want Drouin and would be willing to deal the #2.

Before my reputation is completely shot on something that I do not want... I thought I would resign my position as the Devil's Advocate and let people know that I agree that the Deal should not be made... if in fact it ever would be made.

... I thought that it would get some reaction... and I did want some interesting discussion... but I never expected so many panties to get bunched. haha ;)

Go, Nolan/Nico...
#TrustThePingPongBalls
#SuddenlyAheadOfSchedule

BTW: I'm not really an AMac hater... I'm okay with him playing... I just feel his Contract with its Cap Hit is bad, and therefore the flexibility is just about nil with his Contract.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If I would trade that pick, someone like Drouin is the last thing I want in return. If I'm going for quantity (i.e. a lesser center plus high draft picks) I want the 2C I get in return to be a "winner," that is, a two way player who can anchor for the talented wingers I'm adding. I don't want a whinny "figure skater" who wants to be overpaid (reports are he's asking for 6x6 as a RFA).

Thing is, Flyers might have been tempted three years ago when the system was barren, now after 3 top drafts and a shot at a 4th solid draft (exclusive of #2 they have 10 other picks and Hextall drafting), plus adding Myers and MV and Lyon, quantity is not an issue, quality is the goal. And no one is going to offer a player as good as they can draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad