Proposal: Nugent-Hopkins for Ehlers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Some of you Jets fans are seriously living on another plane of existence. Nuge is the Tony Stark to Ehlers’ Obidiah Stane.

Jets add their first and maybe we can look past the positional downgrade and this season’s decrease in production.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Numbers since 2016, yes Ehlers plays with studs but let's not act like RNH has been playing with trash players since 2016 (check Qual Tmates)

oW84NbU.png

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Some of you Jets fans are seriously living on another plane of existence. Nuge is the Tony Stark to Ehlers’ Obidiah Stane.

Jets add their first and maybe we can look past the positional downgrade and this season’s decrease in production.
thats literally the opposite of the truth. Ehlers is the younger stud with tons of firepower who will be around for years and RNH is the older vet who is defensive and has some offense but its not as good and more gritty.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
thats literally the opposite of the truth. Ehlers is the younger stud with tons of firepower who will be around for years and RNH is the older vet who is defensive and has some offense but its not as good and more gritty.

RNH is on pace for 75 points aka ‘more than Ehlers has ever had’ and is 25 years old, my man.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
RNH is on pace for 75 points aka ‘more than Ehlers has ever had’ and is 25 years old, my man.
So is Drai though... all your Cs are going to get 70pts playong mcdavids wings on different roles. He made Maroon a 30+ goal scorer. Cam Atkinson has never scorer 75 points either is RNH better then him? Not remotely close.

Reactions: Snowman

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So is Drai though... all your Cs are going to get 70pts playong mcdavids wings on different roles. He made Maroon a 30+ goal scorer. Cam Atkinson has never scorer 75 points either is RNH better then him? Not remotely close.

At the same age? RNH is the better player, all day, every f***in day of the week.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Oh hey look, the playmaking centre tasked with defensive responsibilities has poor shot numbers compared to the scoring winger on the juggernaut. I for one am stunned.

Oh no, i've always known that RNH was mediocre defensively. I'm just comparing their quality of linemates.

You misunderstood the intent of my post. I have no intention of arguing about his analytics, he's never been good in that aspect throughout his career.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Not anywhere near fair for the Jets.

Ehlers can drive his own offense, which we sorely need. He is not for sale for a non-McDavid piece.

This is probably the biggest/dumbest homer thing I've read on HFboards ever. If EDM offered you Drai for Ehlers you should do anything for that. It would never happen from EDM's perspective, but trying to claim Ehlers is untouchable is so damn stupid I literally don't have words to describe it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
And the bias monster shows up and now I understand your position.

RNH is in his 25/26 year old season.

Atkinson is in his 29/30 year old season.

As a 25/26 year old, Atkinson had 22 goals and 18 assists to tie his career high at 40 points.

There is absolutely no argument of any kind that comes even close to supporting your statement that Atkinson was the better player than Nugent Hopkins at the same point in their careers. Is he today? Possibly. He’s a better goal scorer but it took him time to get there. And, shockingly, he needed a better team around him to get there.

It’s not biased to suggest that a guy that had 40 points as a career high at the same age as RNH is pacing for 70-75 points is not as good. It’s simply a total lack of understanding on your part.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
Was wondering if this a good proposal. Both have the same salary. Jets need a 2nd line center, Oilers need a Winger to play with McDavid. Who adds. And what improvements can be made for the deal.
I think there's a misunderstanding about the Oilers. They don't need a winger to play with McDavid. They need wingers so they can be a half-decent NHL team when McDavid's off the ice. Secondary scoring is the problem, not finding 97 line-mates.

As for the proposal, Edmonton needs to add top 6 players, not make lateral moves. I'm sure Edmonton would think about giving their 1st+ at the draft if WPG needs the cap relief. Obviously that depends on where they are picking and what else they can offer. But I don't believe Edmonton can afford to trade RNH; they need to find someone to play with him.

Reactions: winnipegger

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
The Oilers are in a predicament. They need top 6 scoring wingers. All they have right now is Draisatl and Nuge who sometimes center a 3rd line. If you trade Drai or Nuge for a scoring winger like Ehlers you are just being redundant. The Oilers need to somehow acquire a scoring winger while giving up no current roster players. If the Oilers traded their 1st for a scoring winger they are now missing out on a high pick which would help them immensely in the future. There was window for moving assets to improve the team. Chiarelli moved all of those assets. You could trade a 1st with a + to get a scoring winger but it had better be the right move because the Oilers could use a top 10 pick more than ever.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Well said. Nuge is asked to produce with Lucic/Kassian/Khaira types. Ehlers is having a pretty mediocre season with far superior linemates.

No interest whatsoever in moving RNH for a non-Laine piece.

‘No interest in moving Ehlers for a non McDavid piece,’ boys? Lol. Ehlers doesn’t even get you the hair clippings from the barber floor when McDavid abandoned the Frank Gallagher look. What an absurd statement.
Ehlers produces almost the same points per 60 at even strength, and plays on the Jets 2nd PP unit, limiting some of his production because the Jets are much deeper than the Oilers. Ehlers is one of the top play drivers in the league, excelling at zone exits and entries. He makes every player better when playing with him.

Having 6 more seasons in his great value contract after this season is the biggest advantage. RNH has only 2 seasons left after this and he'll take a big cap hit as a UFA at that point.

So I think the Jets would be very comfortable keeping Ehlers over RNH.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Contract could actually make sense for them too. They have some big tickets to sign and Nuge’s deal expiring in two years could actually help them.
It's a crazy notion that having a top player's good value deal expiring is a good thing. Having Lucic become a UFA is a very good thing, having Ehlers or RNH get to UFA is a very bad thing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
This analysis adjusts for the quality of teammates and opponents. Pretty clear who fares better in this analysis...

download (5).png

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Wow... I dont actually think this is unreasonable at all... Interesting offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad