Waived: NSH Waives Mike Ribeiro - Clears

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
If a player sent down is traded, does their contract, if retained, count towards the Cap? If not, this might be one of those reasons why those '29 other GMs' didn't put a bid in on him. His past is definitely a red flag but a phone call to Nashville's GM can determine if the guy's changed his ways or not.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I always kind of liked his style of play on the ice. I thought he had turned a corner in Nashville in terms of behavioral issues. I don't follow the team that closely so I don't know. But if his attitude is as crappy as some imply could we at least give him some credit for reporting to the farm if in fact he has?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I always kind of liked his style of play on the ice. I thought he had turned a corner in Nashville in terms of behavioral issues. I don't follow the team that closely so I don't know. But if his attitude is as crappy as some imply could we at least give him some credit for reporting to the farm if in fact he has?

Give him credit for doing his job? No.

If my boss tells me I have to go manage a smaller location than the one I do currently, i don't say "No, I'm better than that. I refuse." I go do it, because that's what my employer asked me to do.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

If my boss tells me I have to go manage a smaller location than the one I do currently, i don't say "No, I'm better than that. I refuse." I go do it, because that's what my employer asked me to do.

True but lets face it, NHLers that have done less in their career than him have not reported when asked. Heck didn't Gregory Campbell refuse to report at the start of the season?

I think Ribs need the money and he also likely thinks he will be called back up so even if it means riding the bus for now he is going to do it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
True but lets face it, NHLers that have done less in their career than him have not reported when asked. Heck didn't Gregory Campbell refuse to report at the start of the season?

I think Ribs need the money and he also likely thinks he will be called back up so even if it means riding the bus for now he is going to do it.

Oh, for sure. He wouldn't be the first to not report, and he wouldn't be the last either. It isn't me being upset with his particular situation, just the idea as a whole. I'm not going to put him on a pedestal because he decided he'd be ok with 'slumming' it in the AHL, while, I'd imagine, making the same money as he would in the NHL.

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011

Congratulations on going to work today!

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Poile was on Nashville radio this morning talking about this situation:

-Primary issue is that Predators are trying to build their team, specifically their scoring lines, on speed\attacking offense. Poile didn't mince words, "Ribeiro is not a fast player."

-When it became apparent that he was going to be an extra forward when the health of the roster permitted, Ribeiro asked for trade.

-Poile offered him in trade, found no takers. Put him on waivers, no takers.

-Ribeiro stated that they were making a mistake, committed to going to AHL and earning way back -- Poile hopes he does it (though reading tone I think he implied that it would be in such a way that he boosted his trade value and made such a comeback elsewhere; his time as a Predator seems to be over)

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Poile was on Nashville radio this morning talking about this situation:

-Primary issue is that Predators are trying to build their team, specifically their scoring lines, on speed\attacking offense. Poile didn't mince words, "Ribeiro is not a fast player."

-When it became apparent that he was going to be an extra forward when the health of the roster permitted, Ribeiro asked for trade.

-Poile offered him in trade, found no takers. Put him on waivers, no takers.

-Ribeiro stated that they were making a mistake, committed to going to AHL and earning way back -- Poile hopes he does it (though reading tone I think he implied that it would be in such a way that he boosted his trade value and made such a comeback elsewhere; his time as a Predator seems to be over)

Sounds about right. Ribiero is still probably the best passer on our team, but that's about it. Just didn't bring enough speed, defensive play, shooting ability, etc. He was good for one insane set-up per game and about three dumb turnovers.

If someone does trade for him, they should play him on a line with a pure sniper and a defensively-focused net presence. Has a chance to be a decent depth option.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sounds about right. Ribiero is still probably the best passer on our team, but that's about it. Just didn't bring enough speed, defensive play, shooting ability, etc. He was good for one insane set-up per game and about three dumb turnovers.

If someone does trade for him, they should play him on a line with a pure sniper and a defensively-focused net presence. Has a chance to be a decent depth option.

ribeiro-berglund-tarasenko

there

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

It's not just "doing his job" per se. Using your example, would you still report to a demotion (not just managing, but a job demotion as well) if you knew that you were retiring or leaving for a new company in a few weeks anyway? You might, but you can be certain that many wouldn't, they'd just quit their job early.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It's not just "doing his job" per se. Using your example, would you still report to a demotion (not just managing, but a job demotion as well) if you knew that you were retiring or leaving for a new company in a few weeks anyway? You might, but you can be certain that many wouldn't, they'd just quit their job early.

except that he'd be forfeiting about 1.3 million dollars by not reporting. Thats not chump change, especially if you're likely to never get another contract

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Except it is doing his job. He signed a contract, which, while i do not have it in my possession, probably pretty exclusively states that he could be sent down to the minors at any given time. I'm rather sure of it, because he doesn't have a NMC.

And, if my work performance warranted it, and my company decided to demote me, yes, i'd absolutely report to my new position. I don't have the luxury of not collecting a paycheck. Pride doesn't pay the bills.

The best part is - he could have said "I dont like the idea of playing in the minors. So, I'll tell you what. Give me a NMC, and I'll take 500k less for that security." While i'm sure i could have tried to negotiate a 'no-demotion clause' into my offer letter, I'm fairly certain i'd have been laughed out of the room.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Except it is doing his job. He signed a contract, which, while i do not have it in my possession, probably pretty exclusively states that he could be sent down to the minors at any given time. I'm rather sure of it, because he doesn't have a NMC.

And, if my work performance warranted it, and my company decided to demote me, yes, i'd absolutely report to my new position. I don't have the luxury of not collecting a paycheck. Pride doesn't pay the bills.

The best part is - he could have said "I dont like the idea of playing in the minors. So, I'll tell you what. Give me a NMC, and I'll take 500k less for that security." While i'm sure i could have tried to negotiate a 'no-demotion clause' into my offer letter, I'm fairly certain i'd have been laughed out of the room.

Could he? It's entirely possible that the GM would have told him "no NMC", even if he offered to take less. Some GM's don't like to give those out at all, and Ribiero isn't exactly the type of player that warrants one.

As to your other point, if you didn't feel you needed the cash, would you still go? I'd guess that he does need it given the rumors of his past transgressions, but it isn't just a simple, "I'll do what the boss says" type situation. I wouldn't hold it against him if he didn't go and opted to retire instead, if he is ready to make that step.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Could he? It's entirely possible that the GM would have told him "no NMC", even if he offered to take less. Some GM's don't like to give those out at all, and Ribiero isn't exactly the type of player that warrants one.

As to your other point, if you didn't feel you needed the cash, would you still go? I'd guess that he does need it given the rumors of his past transgressions, but it isn't just a simple, "I'll do what the boss says" type situation. I wouldn't hold it against him if he didn't go and opted to retire instead, if he is ready to make that step.

It's possible in regards to the NMC, but there's usually a point where a GM will give you a NMC if you go low enough on salary. It's a matter of what you want more. Security or Money.

If i felt i didn't need the cash, but had a contract (especially one that was over soon)? Absolutely. I signed on to do a job. I'll do said job because that's what I said I would do. And my work is hardly as glamorous as playing professional hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad