Confirmed Buy-Out [NSH] Predators buy out F Matt Duchene

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would bet plenty of money that he wanted to chill in Nashville for the rest of his career and after. Rebuild or not, he absolutely loved Nashville.
Yep, strum his guitar, go to church on Sundays, show up to the rink and put in his time when necessary, sail away to margaritaville in the off-season. He had The Life he wanted.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Can someone explain to me why it wouldn't have been better for both teams involved had the Predators sent Duchene with 50% retention to the Jets for Wheeler, or to the Islanders for Bailey?

It halves the number of seasons Nashville would've been financially tied to Duchene, and playoff hopeful teams like Winnipeg and New York could've shipped out an unwanted veteran for a player who could step in and contribute on their top 6

So, what am I missing?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Can someone explain to me why it wouldn't have been better for both teams involved had the Predators sent Duchene with 50% retention to the Jets for Wheeler, or to the Islanders for Bailey?

It halves the number of seasons Nashville would've been financially tied to Duchene, and playoff hopeful teams like Winnipeg and New York could've shipped out an unwanted veteran for a player who could step in and contribute on their top 6

So, what am I missing?
What we have heard is Trotz didn't want to use up the last salary retention spot

Reactions: Viqsi

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Did you watch saros last year? I lost count how many games he stole.

No goalie is taking that roster to the promised land next year. But they'll still get some wins. More than a tanking team would like.

It was the same with Habs and price. You can't tank with a superstar goalie.
Price was mid at best in his final years.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
what is nashville doing? their team blows on paper this year anyway. why are they creating issues down the line to have cap space for this season?

Reactions: Negan4Coach

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It’s starting to look like Trotz might have difficulty adjusting to being a general manager
Why do you say that? He's been consistent in his moves and message. There was a "country club" atmosphere that was keeping this team mired in mediocrity and he is rooting that out by whatever means necessary.

what is nashville doing? their team blows on paper this year anyway. why are they creating issues down the line to have cap space for this season?
See my previous post. This isn't about cap space it's about cleaning house and removing perceived negative influences that could impact our youth development

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Colorado should sign him to a 2 year deal.

MacKinnon
Duchene
Johansen

Down the middle would be a huge upgrade over what they had last year.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Duchene was always very overrated, and someone less than his numbers. Even when he played C he never came across as a serious C you would want as your #1 guy (and certainly not as a #2 match-up alternative either).

Stat watchers who struggle to grasp the more fine-tuned aspects of the game seem to adore the guy though.

Cape

Dec 31, 2019
Finland
Colorado should sign him to a 2 year deal.

MacKinnon
Duchene
Johansen

Down the middle would be a huge upgrade over what they had last year.
Duchene and Johansen in the same team trying to be succesfull. That would be great… For the other teams.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Duchene and Johansen in the same team trying to be succesfull. That would be great… For the other teams.

Duchene and Johansen would excel in a support role playing behind MacKinnon, Rantanen. They're not top end players who can carry a team.

Colorado lost their captain for next season, signing Duchene would be a good stop gap to fill his shoes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00