Confirmed Buy-Out [NSH] Predators buy out F Matt Duchene

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
No takers even at 50%? That would barely be above what Hayes makes and that got a 6th and Duchene is actually productive.

I guess he will be heading to Vegas with many players like Stone "injured" and out for most of next season.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Possible , but the way in ended for Duchene in Denver , i'm not sure the locker room would welcome him with open arms

That locker room is more or less gone.

Duchene on the wing is still an upgrade to Matt Nieto. Players like Mac who wants to win know that...

So yes, if we really try to bring h back, im ok with it.

Dont think it will happen, especially with Sakic and MacFarland in charge, but hey, its FA time...Stranger things have happened before...

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
Is it just me or did Duchene still have a couple more good years left in him?

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I'd be okay with him back in Colorado. We need a top six scoring threat and I, unlike some Avalanche fans, like Matt and think he'd thrive with the team Colorado now has. All depends on cap, but it's a good fit.

Reactions: AW8

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Wow Nashville really burning it down.

I get wanting to move out these big salaries so you can start to reshape things...but that buyout structure...really only helps them massively this year, at the expense of a bunch of extra years of pain. With fairly minor savings those other years.

Does this indicate Nashville are planning to go big game hunting in UFA tomorrow? Take on cap dumps this year for picks? Not sure i fully understand the plan, or the benefit to this. Other than just, "get rid of the old core so the kids can be handed spots" i guess?

Feels like Duchene immediately becomes one of the best scoring wingers on the market. Inconsistent from year to year, but in the right situation he can still be hugely productive, plays the game with speed and skill. I can see a decent number of teams wanting to work him into their cap situation if he's willing to take a more modest salary while collecting his buyout money on the side.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
DAYUM!

Trotz ain't playing.

But I am more interested in what he's smoking. I wanna do some crazy stuff too man

1688163706403.png

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I am surprised he couldn't take on 50% of the cap and trade Duchene? nobody wanted him at 4 AAV? that just shows how league is valuing Duchene I suppose

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
At 8M for 3 more years? Hell no

And Not sure they were interested in retaining on another multi year contract

Wouldn't the retention cost less than the buyout? Looks like it based on the chart posted.

Unless they don't have another retention spot left. I'm not sure if they do actually. If not that 250,000 retention done on Ekholm is gonna look pretty bad.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Wouldn't the retention cost less than the buyout? Looks like it based on the chart posted.
Kinda doesn't matter if there are 0 teams willing to take him on a retained trade?

Whereas there was 1 team willing to take Johansen, because centers are more of a premium. But if it wasn't for that 1 team, Johansen's buyout would have been filed today just like Duchene's.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Kinda doesn't matter if there are 0 teams willing to take him on a retained trade?

Whereas there was 1 team willing to take Johansen, because centers are more of a premium. But if it wasn't for that 1 team, Johansen's buyout would have been filed today just like Duchene's.

I suppose but we saw a team pay a pick and $4m for 38 year old Corey Perry, $4m for Nick Foligno this week. Some team will miss out on a UFA target and I find it hard to believe nobody even a bottom feeder wouldn't grab Duchene for $4m and see what market there is at the deadline.

This is a guy on pace for 60 points this year that scored 40+ goals last year. Even if you don't play him at center which you could based on need, he's worth $4m even in this market.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I suppose but we saw a team pay a pick and $4m for 38 year old Corey Perry, $4m for Nick Foligno this week. Some team will miss out on a UFA target and I find it hard to believe nobody even a bottom feeder wouldn't grab Duchene for $4m and see what market there is at the deadline.
Giving a player like Duchene a 1 x 4M contract seems low-risk. If he stays healthy and on a pace for 55-60 points, you flip him at the TDL. You retain and might even get a 1st round pick back. At least a 2nd round pick+.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

This is a guy on pace for 60 points this year that scored 40+ goals last year. Even if you don't play him at center which you could based on need, he's worth $4m even in this market.
$4M for 3 years is different than $4M for 1 year, though.

Woodrow

Dec 8, 2005
I'm not a fan of buy outs in general. It seems like GMs always immediately use the cap savings on another bad contract and most teams would be better off just living with the contracts they sign. Lets see how Trotz does.

Teams seem to have noticed that Vegas had a team filled with big players but have they noticed they haven't bought anyone out?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
$4M for 3 years is different than $4M for 1 year, though.

Sure, and on the flip side he's a younger, better player and the cap from everything we've heard is rising next season.

Nashville is paying him 15.3m over 6 seasons vs 19.3m owed to go away. Money savings of 4m total for a team probably not even looking to spend to the cap. We see some odd moves but I don't see the reasonings for Nashville here.

I haven't seen one post in this thread where anyone's stated anything that makes you go, well, this is a solid move. They lost cap for 6 years vs at worst waiting a year and trying to trade him next season 50% when the cap rises. I don't get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dadof5boys

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Sure, and on the flip side he's a younger, better player and the cap from everything we've heard is rising next season.

Nashville is paying him 15.3m over 6 seasons vs 19.3m owed to go away. Money savings of 4m total for a team probably not even looking to spend to the cap. We see some odd moves but I don't see the reasonings for Nashville here.
I think that's because the reasoning has nothing to do with "on ice" stuff. Or payroll/Cap stuff. They just want to create a new "culture" where players aren't "coasting" on fat long-term contracts, aren't resting on their laurels. They want hunger and guys striving to get their next paycheck.

Reactions: Soundgarden

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I think that's because the reasoning has nothing to do with "on ice" stuff. Or payroll/Cap stuff. They just want to create a new "culture" where players aren't "coasting" on fat long-term contracts, aren't resting on their laurels. They want hunger and guys striving to get their next paycheck.

I don't "culture" should put 6 years of a decent buyout on your books.

I guess we will see what Duchene value is when he signs with someone. Have a hard time believing it's going to be way under 4m and that's taking into account the buyout is only costing him 4m. In the end he's got to be coming out ahead if he signs to play beyond a single year.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't "culture" should put 6 years of a decent buyout on your books.
Trotz seems to, though. It just reads to me like he wanted these guys out of the picture, regardless of the cost. He wants a different environment for young players to come into.

I get it. I didn't expect, nor like, the Duchene buyout. Johansen and Granlund, fine, no issues, they weren't as good as Duchene. But at the same time, I see where he's coming from. We half joked, but in a dark humor kind of way, about what seemed like a "country club" in Nashville these past few years, where Poile was a magnanimous father figure, willing to listen to players, willing to extend them 2nd and 3rd chances, even potentially at the cost of the franchise failing to push itself to a higher level. And players seemed to take advantage of this leeway to "relax" and rest on their laurels. We called that the "country club".

Trotz seems like he wants no part of that, and is going to wipe it away and put in a different mindset.
This may be quite different than what people are thinking of relative to traditional "rebuild" or "compete" scenarios, btw. It may be wholly disconnected from those kinds of stereotypes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad