Confirmed Buy-Out [NSH] Predators buy out F Matt Duchene

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This one is a head scratcher. His production is t bad at all and you would think that with some retention - 20-50% - someone would take a flyer on him. Also Nashville, unless they’re planning to go hard in free agency, isn’t exactly deep at forward. This one was definitely a surprise.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
wowawewa-borat.gif

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
This one is a head scratcher. His production is t bad at all and you would think that with some retention - 20-50% - someone would take a flyer on him. Also Nashville, unless they’re planning to go hard in free agency, isn’t exactly deep at forward. This one was definitely a surprise.
We have a lot of forward prospects ready or close to it. Duchess might be an "off ice" thing. I don't think Trotz liked him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think ultimately it's not the 4-5 million they couldn't find a taker for, if anything it's the 3 year part. If you are a rebuilding team you can't even flip that really, no contender is really going to want him for 3 years. If you are a contender you aren't going to want to be tied to him for 3 years either. Also he has a NTC that kicks in tomorrow so I'm sure teams weren't really wanting to deal with that as well.

Ultimately we don't know the real reasoning. All we can assume is that behind the scenes Trotz didn't like what he saw and was willing to get rid of him in anyway possible. As a Preds fan all we can do is hope it was done with sound reasoning and trust he has a plan long term for how he wants things to look.

Reactions: mfilipo3

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Not sure Duchene is happy with today’s events, I follow him on Insta (because of Paisley) and he is usually so up on what’s happening in Nashville but today nothing just some Bible quote (I presume I’ll not religious but I know he’s part of the God squad)

• Wow
Reactions: TheStatican

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I don't get this at all. A player that's still good with only 3 years left on his deal and they get minimal savings the 2 years after next year and add three years of 1.55m dead cap thereafter. They still have 5 years of $2m Turris dead cap to deal with. I'm baffled by this.

Maybe will of the player too. It would make sense. I doubt Duchene has any interest to be part of their rebuild.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not sure Duchene is happy with today’s events, I follow him on Insta (because of Paisley) and he is usually so up on what’s happening in Nashville but today nothing just some Bible quote (I presume I’ll not religious but I know he’s part of the God squad)
Post the Bible quote! :D

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Something to do with God being eager or some shit like that, sorry I’m not religious so apologies to those who are
He might as well post the lyrics to a country song, I suppose, if there is ever supposed to be a tie-in to the buyout. Probably not worth trying to decipher!

Nashville is a little tricky for that stuff, I guess. Fisher went full-on Bible Thumper, but still seemed to find a way to balance that with hard-nosed play on the ice. I guess there are FAR worse things they could get into!

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If he wants to win, he’ll sign a short, cheap deal with Vegas, Colorado, Oilers, maybe Carolina. If he wants money, Columbus, Detroit, Chicago… How about a return to Ottawa? Makes a Debrincat trade more easy to make for prospects and picks rather than a player in return.

When it’s all said and done though, think he could be that replacement for Phil in Vegas, and slide right into Smith’s spot in the lineup.

Reactions: BallardEra

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This smacks of Trotz wanting to change the atmosphere around the team. Another way to put it was that he simply didn't like Duchene, or Johansen, and felt that they would be resistant to changes that he wanted to bring about.

Reactions: Soundgarden

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
I’m sorry, this isn’t the 90’s of yesteryear when Roy or hasek took an average team and made them cup contenders. saros isn’t gonna save the day. Sorokin was a vezina finalist on a playoff bubble team who added horvat As for an example and out in rd 1
Did you watch saros last year? I lost count how many games he stole.

No goalie is taking that roster to the promised land next year. But they'll still get some wins. More than a tanking team would like.

It was the same with Habs and price. You can't tank with a superstar goalie.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

No goalie is taking that roster to the promised land next year. But they'll still get some wins. More than a tanking team would like.

Preds front office calculated he was responsible for 24 points they wouldn't have earned otherwise.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Yeah, that's why we were only one point away from the playoffs even after trading off at the deadline. Saros kept Hynes in a job for a lot longer than he should have.

Yeah, that's why we were only one point away from the playoffs even after trading off at the deadline. Saros kept Hynes in a job for a lot longer than he should have.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
July 1 just got interesting, I have my popcorn ready!
Are teams clearing cap space for something?????????

It's oddly...........odd what's going on this year. No trades during the 1st round of the draft, teams buying out players like crazy...........for what?

Yeah tomorrow might be very interesting before noon (that's when players become UFA right? or have NMC/NTC kick in?)

It's way too quiet. There must be a reason for all of this.

I'm not going to be glued to the radio or the web or anything tomorrow though. I'm heading out to enjoy Canada Day, and I'm sure I'll get a gazillion "breaking news" alerts from TSN etc, then spend late Saturday night trying to take it all in.

Or, maybe there's just nothing going on really? Huh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad